Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old November 22 2013, 05:49 PM   #691
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Yeah, I knew that the 3rd Doctor was basically unable to use the TARDIS (which sounds like the set up to a bad Doctor era honestly, although I haven't seen any of the 3rd Doctor's run so maybe being stuck on present day earth turned out ok). I've actually been getting a bit more interested in the first three Doctor's anyway, so I figured The Three Doctors would be worth a watch.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 05:54 PM   #692
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I knew that the 3rd Doctor was basically unable to use the TARDIS (which sounds like the set up to a bad Doctor era honestly, although I haven't seen any of the 3rd Doctor's run so maybe being stuck on present day earth turned out ok). I've actually been getting a bit more interested in the first three Doctor's anyway, so I figured The Three Doctors would be worth a watch.
There's actually some very good "Earthbound" Pertwee stories especially with The introduction of The Master, and there is some TARDIS traveling and some other means of traveling, so, not all of the stories before him getting back a working TARDIS are Earthbound

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 06:17 PM   #693
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I figured that the Third's Doctor's exile couldn't be as boring as it sounded. Honestly, of all the Doctor's, the 3rd is the one that is the lowest priority to me to watch. I don't know why but he's always seemed the least interesting to me. Right now I'm too busy watching modern Doctor Who, mixed with the 4th Doctor, to add another one, but if I were ever going to start going through all the classic Doctor's, he'd probably be the last I got to. Its hard to pinpoint why, since I know so little about him outside of his exile. Its just that when I see images of him or small clips, he just doesn't seem like a Doctor I'd want to spend much time watching on his own, especially with so much Doctor who I haven't seem.
Old November 22 2013, 06:22 PM   #694
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Starting with the third Doctor you basically have a completely new show, with a new star, new supporting actors, a new tone and a new premise. Plus it's in color. In retrospect, I find it extremely daring, and I'd love it if Moffat tried something similar with Capaldi.
Old November 22 2013, 06:36 PM   #695
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

To me the third Doctor seems the odd man out of the whole bunch.
He is very much a product of his time.
He is more of a Secret Agent than a free adventurer like the rest of them (provided that I have seen very little of the classic doctors).
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22 2013, 11:55 PM   #696
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I think of the era of the Third Doctor as something of a precursor to modern Who due to the Earth connection and the contemporary companions (or assistants as they were called then). There's also a darker undercurrent to the Doctor, a bitterness because of his exile.
Just like Modern Who, it's basically a complete overhaul of the show. The visuals are very different from before, and not just because of the colour. The pacing is very fast compared to the preceding serials. Just watch Troughton's last story, The War Games and then Spearhead from Space and Doctor Who and the Silurians and you'll be amazed.

The era also introduces the Master. The interactions between the two are just brilliant. In general, the character interactions are quite entertaining and make even the weaker stories worth a watch (well, to me, anyway). Plus, there are dinosaurs in modern-day London.

Short clips and descriptions of Doctors can be misleading. I'm watching the old show in airing order. From what little I had seen of the Fourth Doctor, I was pretty convinced I wouldn't like him, especially as he was bound to follow my newly found second favourite Doctor. But he totally won me over within minutes of his debut story "Robot". So much awesome crazyness!
Old November 23 2013, 07:25 AM   #697
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm not sure if this is usually included in the Classic Who category, but because its pre 2005 I figure this is the place to mention it. I just watched the Doctor who movie. I thought it was ok. It had some problems, but nothing that ruined the story for me. Sure, having the Master call the Doctor half human (and having the Doctor confirm it later) was idiotic, but as I understand it the show just ignores those stupid comments, so its best just to ignore them. I don't know how the Master usually acts (I knew about him, but this is the first time I've seen him) but he seemed a bit melodramatic and overacting. Maybe that's normal for him, but he was a bit hard to take seriously at the end, especially with that pretty ridiculous costume. If he'd been a bit less weird and more threatening I could have ignored the costume, but as it is it was just weird.

Also, I do wonder when The Doctor became omnipotent. I don't recall the 4th, 9th or 10th Doctor's being able to tell the future and fates of every random person they come across, but I don't think he was doing it because he had met all of these people in their future. He was acting like he just knew this stuff The companions (I guess we could call them that) were ok I guess, The guy was a bit annoying. The Doctor seemed to grow attached to the woman somewhat quickly, they only knew each other for a few hours but he was acting really attached to her. Its a good think Rose met Sarah Jane and not this woman, they probably would have started attacking each other

I also want to know, was it just me or did the 7th Doctor die because a human doctor was a moron? I can't imagine that any other Doctor got so lame a death. They usually seem to die while doing something to save someone/something else. The 7th Doctor died because he got non lethally shot then had a human doctor screw around with his anatomy. It was kind of a lackluster ending for an incarnation of the Doctor.

Still, overall I thought it was a decent story. I thought the 8th Doctor himself did a good job with what he got, he would have been interesting to see more of. There is a lot of stuff that I don't know if it was BS or not (like the Eye of harmony) and people more familiar with Classic Who might see more to hate than me, but I just think the movie was a decent Doctor Who adventure, with admittedly some big flaws.

Also, I finished Revenge of the Cybermen (which is the last story of Tom baker's first season). It was a pretty good story. It was interesting seeing classic Cybermen after watching the alternate Earth versions in the Series 2 episodes with the 10th Doctor. Next up for the fourth doctor will be Terror of the Zygons, although that will probably wait for a bit because of the other Doctor Who stuff I plan to watch tomorrow.
Old November 23 2013, 07:35 PM   #698
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

We're just watching the first serial, starting with An Unearthly Child.
Old November 23 2013, 11:53 PM   #699
The Haunting
Admiral

The King's Demons. Not the greatest way to celebrate the 50th but it's what Love Film sent me

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24 2013, 05:31 AM   #700
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I watched two things today for the anniversary, the first Doctor Who story An Unearthly Child (all four episodes, not just the episode with that title) and The Three Doctors. I have mixed feelings about An Unearthly Child. It wasn't outright bad, but it had some annoyances. The female teacher spent most of episode 3 screaming and being literally worse than useless, and Susan spent a good chunk of the middle of the two middle episodes screaming, too. I'm also not a huge fan of cavemen, and they were a bit annoying in this. Still, it wasn't terrible, and The Doctor was interesting.

I really enjoyed The Three Doctors. The main story was pretty good, and the interactions between the Second and Third Doctors were awesome. The second Doctor especially seems like a Doctor I want to see more of.
Old November 24 2013, 05:54 AM   #701
Leonardo T. Dragon
Commander

View Leonardo T. Dragon's Twitter Profile

Blip wrote: View Post
Remembrance of the Daleks. 7th Doctor at his finest:

"Crush the lesser races. Conquer the galaxy. Incredible power, unlimited rice pudding, et cetera, et cetera!"
Always loved that line and that serial!

Just rewatched The Five Doctors this evening. Much more logical way to assemble multiple regenerations n in the 50th.
Old November 25 2013, 04:22 PM   #702
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Started Doctor Who 'The Pirate Planet', a fourth Doctor story, this mornin' via Netflix Instant.

This is the second serial in the "Key to Time" series with the Doctor, Romana I & K9.
Old November 25 2013, 04:44 PM   #703
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I've just seen the Tenth Planet, a second Doctor story in everything but name.
Old November 26 2013, 10:25 AM   #704
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Watchin' Doctor Who 'The Androids of Tara' via Netflix Instant.

Its another of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor, Romana I & K9.

- edit -

And now I've got Doctor Who 'The Power of Kroll' via Netflix Instant.

This is the last of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor & Romana I available, since the next episode is 'City of Death', the one filmed in Paris with Romana II. And I've seen that one before when a buddy loaned me his DVD copy a few years back.

Last edited by od0_ital; November 26 2013 at 12:47 PM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 04:38 PM   #705
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Watchin' Doctor Who 'The Androids of Tara' via Netflix Instant.

Its another of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor, Romana I & K9.

- edit -

And now I've got Doctor Who 'The Power of Kroll' via Netflix Instant.

This is the last of the "Key to Time" stories with the fourth Doctor & Romana I available, since the next episode is 'City of Death', the one filmed in Paris with Romana II. And I've seen that one before when a buddy loaned me his DVD copy a few years back.
Power of Kroll is my least favorite of The Key To Time. If you want to watch the remaining Key To Time Serials, and have no other way, check Dailymotion, you should be able to find all of Classic Who streaming there

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote