TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 23 2013, 11:06 AM   #661
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

DWF wrote: View Post
Csalem wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
And the Doctor stole his outfit?!
And did again, in pretty similar circumstances in The Eleventh Hour!!
The Eleventh Hour was the third time it happened, the newly regenerated eighth Doctor also took his clothes from a hospital.
I was more surprised at the fact that it would happen on TV in 1970 than by the Doctor doing so. I would've thought that TV, especially children's TV, in that era had stricter rules about heroes doing illegal things.
Old October 23 2013, 11:44 AM   #662
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

I was more surprised at the fact that it would happen on TV in 1970 than by the Doctor doing so. I would've thought that TV, especially children's TV, in that era had stricter rules about heroes doing illegal things.
The censors probably would have been more upset if the Doctor had run around outside in his hospital gown, with the back flapping open.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 01:55 PM   #663
Iamnotspock
Captain

DWF wrote: View Post
Csalem wrote: View Post

And did again, in pretty similar circumstances in The Eleventh Hour!!
The Eleventh Hour was the third time it happened, the newly regenerated eighth Doctor also took his clothes from a hospital.
He steals a car as well, but there's a scene right at the end of Spearhead... that acknowledges both, when the Brig insists that the car must be returned to its rightful owner, although the Doctor asks to be given something similar (leading to Bessie's introduction in the next story). He then realises that he doesn't even own the clothes he's wearing - "I borrowed them from the hospital!" - which implies that he returns them too, and then takes to wearing an identical outfit of his own.

By the time of the TVM and The Eleventh Hour however, he seems to have become a bit more carefree about such things (cases of the writers homaging Spearhead... without the original's acknowledgement of the theft, although he did "borrow" the TARDIS after all so there's a precedent):

Amy: "You kept the clothes?"

Doctor: "Well, I just saved the world, the whole planet, for about the millionth time, no charge; yeah, shoot me, I kept the clothes!"
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 02:39 PM   #664
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Timewalker wrote: View Post
The censors probably would have been more upset if the Doctor had run around outside in his hospital gown, with the back flapping open.
This is true. Though some of the shower angles weren't too far away from that!
Old October 23 2013, 05:50 PM   #665
Starkers
Admiral

Just finished watching The Sun Makers, first time I've ever seen it. It was ok, I'd probably rate it about average really. Even spread over four episodes it felt somehow too short, and the way Mandril and other characters flipped between wanting to kill/support the Doctor, and from cowardly/brave was somewhat jarring.

Still it's always nice to see a story one hasn't seen before, it's especially nice to see more of Leela, and it has the bonus of Michael Keating in a proto-Vila role as well--nice to see him heavily involved in the extras too.

I can't believe they tossed that guy over the edge at the end. Anyone who says the classic series was childish compared to the modern show should take a look at this serial...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2013, 06:40 PM   #666
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Pyramids of Mars, thanks to Watch. This was more like the DW I remember from my childhood. Also featured Michael Sheard, Grange Hill's Mr Bronson and Empire Strikes Back's Admiral Ozzel and who would return to DW for Remembrance of the Daleks.

The main star, of course, was Tom Baker, who was as watchably bonkers as ever and ably supported by Liz Sladen as Sarah Jane. Quite a good story, even with its creaky SFX and make up but boosted by the chemistry of its leads and Baker's loony charisma.
Old October 24 2013, 02:45 AM   #667
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
diankra wrote: View Post
Slightly different issue though... the point is that initially Jamie couln't read at all, not that he couln't read other languages ( would hos native language be English or Gaelic, I wonder)
That's why I wondered if there might have been a teaching gizmo somewhere in the TARDIS. I'm sure the Doctor and the other Companions (Polly and Ben were also Companions when Jamie joined) would have encouraged him to learn to read.
There's a moment when some aliens are scanning Jamie's brain (either "The Domintors" or "The Krotons") and they note that, while his brain is relative primitive, there is evidence of recent rapid learning.

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Just finished watching The Sun Makers, first time I've ever seen it. It was ok, I'd probably rate it about average really. Even spread over four episodes it felt somehow too short, and the way Mandril and other characters flipped between wanting to kill/support the Doctor, and from cowardly/brave was somewhat jarring.

Still it's always nice to see a story one hasn't seen before, it's especially nice to see more of Leela, and it has the bonus of Michael Keating in a proto-Vila role as well--nice to see him heavily involved in the extras too.
I love Leela in "The Sun Makers." "Run, Doctor! It's the Gatherer!" "Perhaps everyone runs from the tax man?"
Old October 28 2013, 09:52 AM   #668
Starkers
Admiral

^Yes that is very funny!

Old October 28 2013, 09:37 PM   #669
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Vengeance of Varos was on over the weekend (I completely forgot about the Peter Davison ep on Saturday, grrr).

This was okay. I see that it had Jason Connery (pre Robin of Sherwood, I think) and the actor who plays Alliser Thorne in Game of Thrones, as well as Martin Jarvis. The story was pretty good and the Sixth Doctor was less abrasive here than in other episodes I've seen him in. But I just don't think Colin Baker is/was a good actor and I find it really hard to enjoy his performance.
Old October 28 2013, 10:06 PM   #670
Starkers
Admiral

When it comes to Varos Colin's bloody Ralph Finnes next to Jason Connery!

Old October 28 2013, 11:42 PM   #671
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Don't know if I'd go that far, but the apple certainly fell far from the tree in the Connery orchard!
Old November 1 2013, 02:33 AM   #672
DWF
Vice Admiral

Curse Of Fenric followed by The Three Doctors. Curse Of Fenric is an excellent Holloween story and we realyl get to see Ace grow from a girl into a woman, the twist of saving her mother followed by the Doctor's betrayal are well done.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 12:12 PM   #673
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

The Romans. The blue peter extra was the highlight of this release for me.

I found the way they went from serious to carry on a bit too jarring.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4 2013, 01:39 PM   #674
Starkers
Admiral

Death to the Daleks, which was ok, but not exactly memorable. The Daleks using projectile weapons was interesting, and they seemed quite sly and formidable up to a point (not sure why one of them decided to self-destruct just because one of his prisoners escaped, that’s not going to help matters is it!) although the comedy soundtrack that played every time they were on screen got annoying very quickly.

Pertwee was ok, but I don’t think he’ll ever be one of my favourite Doctors, and I didn’t think Sarah Jane was given too much to do apart from scream and be in peril. The humans were an odd bunch, and their motivations seemed to shift throughout the story without rhyme or reason almost as if they were switching scripts around.

I loved the location shooting though, as quarries go that really did look like another planet, and I thought the realisation of the Exillions (sp?) was quite well done for the time. I like the way they camouflaged themselves as rocks using sackcloth, it was actually very effective.

Old November 8 2013, 02:27 AM   #675
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

the tenth planet.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote