Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 19 2012, 10:31 PM   #136
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

DWF wrote: View Post
When did The Mind Of Evil come out on DVD?
It hasn't yet. I was borrowing my friend's old black & white VHS tape. The tape also includes some recolorized portions of part 6 using homemade off-air video recordings. Oddly, I find the scenes less compelling in color than in black & white. Everything seems to have an atmosphere & an extra depth in black & white that the color just kind of drains out of it.

Something I noticed while watching "The Claws of Axos;" when the 3rd Doctor is trying to explain to Jo & the Brigadier how he trapped the Axons in a time loop, he seems to really be channelling Patrick Troughton in that scene. His loopy hand gestures and complete inability to explain such a simple concept remind me very much of the 2nd Doctor at his most intellectually impotent.

I just finished the special edition of "Day of the Daleks" a few days ago. It's not a great story but the special edition does it a world of good; from replacing the Dalek voices to reediting the ATV chase so that it doesn't look completely retarded. (It still looks a little retarded. It is still a random ATV chase afterall.) My biggest complaint with the special edition would be the establishing shots of the Dalek base. They're so obviously digital and they don't really fit in at all.

UNIT doesn't fare very well in the story though. I find it pretty disappointing when Captain Yates & Sgt. Benton seem completely stumped as to where the Doctor & Jo have gone when the cellar seems like a pretty obvious place, at least once you've eliminated all of the other options. But then, I suppose Benton could be forgiven for the oversight since he was cripped with hunger. Yates was kind of a dick in that scene.
Old October 20 2012, 09:19 PM   #137
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
When did The Mind Of Evil come out on DVD?
It hasn't yet. I was borrowing my friend's old black & white VHS tape. The tape also includes some recolorized portions of part 6 using homemade off-air video recordings. Oddly, I find the scenes less compelling in color than in black & white. Everything seems to have an atmosphere & an extra depth in black & white that the color just kind of drains out of it.
Which is ironic since it was filmed in color or colour. I'm really looking forward to seeing on DVD, I loved the ep. five cliffhanger. And I wouldn't be too hard on Yates in Day Of The Daleks, I doubt if Benton was "crippled with hunger", RHIP after all.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #138
Lonemagpie
Writer

Since it's been foggy here all day, I figured it was a good day to stick on Curse Of Fenric...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:52 PM   #139
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Brain of Morbius (Fourth Doctor).

An interesting take on Frankenstein but I think Terrence Dick's original concept of the lone robot trying to built a body for its master out of the spare parts it finds would have been more interesting. It's too bad the budget wasn't there. It also would have been interesting to expand upon Morbius' backstory. All we know is that he was a meglomaniac with millions of followers who destroyed civilizations.

The Seeds of Doom (Fourth Doctor).

I enjoyed this one but I kind of wish it had taken place exclusively in Antarctica. The claustrophobic feeling of being trapped with the Krynoid thousands of mile from any help. Then again I've just described John W. Campbell Jr.'s story 'Who Goes There?' and its various adaptations. It was also too bad that none of the familiar UNIT faces showed up this time around.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 02:59 AM   #140
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
I enjoyed this one but I kind of wish it had taken place exclusively in Antarctica. The claustrophobic feeling of being trapped with the Krynoid thousands of mile from any help. Then again I've just described John W. Campbell Jr.'s story 'Who Goes There?' and its various adaptations.
Actually you've just described every Second Doctor story ever written.
Old October 22 2012, 03:13 AM   #141
DWF
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
I enjoyed this one but I kind of wish it had taken place exclusively in Antarctica. The claustrophobic feeling of being trapped with the Krynoid thousands of mile from any help. Then again I've just described John W. Campbell Jr.'s story 'Who Goes There?' and its various adaptations.
Actually you've just described every Second Doctor story ever written.
Well the fifth season anyway, but the first two parts of The Seeds Of Doom was a take on The Thing From Outer Space, so it was really inspired by Campbell's story. The last four acts were like a Bond movie to me, Harrsion Chase was very like a great Bond villian and he had a great henchman in Scorbie.
Old October 27 2012, 10:38 PM   #142
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Masque of Mandragora (Fourth Doctor).

An excellent story though Sarah Jane did seem to spend more time needing to be saved in this one than the past few I've watched. Saved from being sacrificed, saved from killing the Doctor, saved from the dungeons. I enjoyed the pre-renaissance Italy setting. It's too bad however that we didn't get to see the Doctor interact with Leonardo da Vinci. The potential arugments could have been interesting.

The Deadly Assassin (Fourth Doctor).

As far as I know this is the only serial from the classic era where the Doctor does not have a companion unless you count Co-ordinator Engin and Castellan Spandrell. I enjoyed this brief glimpse into Time Lord society and the small amount of history that was presented as well. The portrayal of the Master was excellent though I still prefer Roger Delgado's mix of theatrics and quiet menace.
Old October 27 2012, 10:49 PM   #143
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Regarding the Doctor and Leonardo, don't they interact in City of Death?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 10:59 PM   #144
DWF
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Nope and that was the second time the fourth Doctor failed to meet him, but he did leave him a note telling him to paint over the writing anyway.
Old October 28 2012, 06:27 PM   #145
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I watched The Greatest Show in the Galaxy last night. Excellent serial, one of the best.
Old October 29 2012, 03:12 PM   #146
Anachronus
Commodore

Just watched the Pirate Planet again after a long time. I was struck by how many of the sets and it seemed some of the music cues were shared with Blakes 7.

-St. Augustine of Hippo
Anachronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2012, 11:46 PM   #147
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I'm so behind with my Who watching right now.

I've just finished a fitness challenge that was sucking up all my free time and hope to get something watched this coming weekend.

I have been re-listening to Cyberman though, the Big Finish mini series.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30 2012, 01:44 AM   #148
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Nope and that was the second time the fourth Doctor failed to meet him, but he did leave him a note telling him to paint over the writing anyway.
I love that bit. I keep hoping for some reference to that on the new series. Like, in "The Girl Who Waited," when Rory sees that Mona Lisa in the alien art gallery, I wanted the Doctor to ask Rory to give it a quick X-ray scan with the sonic. Rory sees "This is a fake" written on it, to which the Doctor promptly responds, "Oh, so that's the real one then."

Interestingly, although we would assume that the Doctor has in fact met Leonardo da Vinci, it seems that, in "City of Death," the Doctor was lying about having met Shakespeare, since the 10th Doctor has never met him before in "The Shakespeare Code." (But then, that doesn't jive with the fact that the 8th Doctor actually met him in the Big Finish audio "Time of the Daleks.")
Old October 30 2012, 02:13 AM   #149
Mr Pointy Ears
Captain

That would be the ambassodors of death with jon pertwee.
Mr Pointy Ears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31 2012, 03:24 AM   #150
Lowdarzz
Captain

The Face of Evil (Fourth Doctor).

A good introduction for the character Leela. A computer gone haywire story where the computer isn't destroyed is a new one in my experience. I also wish they had devoted more time to the backstory of Xoanon. Then again I think it would have been cool to actually film the backstory as a seperate serial and then have the doctor come back several centuries later to find out the results like he did in The Ark back in the Hartnell era.