Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 6 2014, 02:04 AM   #1
diankra
Commodore

Day of the Doctor soundtrack

Picked this up last night; on a first listen through an unexpected amount seems to be new tracks which weren't on the actual episode (where stuff from Murray Gold's eight year back catalogue ran instead, as people noted at the time).
Some of the new stuff is familiar, as it's since been used in The Time of the Doctor and so on, but unless I'm mis-listening, it 's interesting: looks like they maybe decide to drop the new tracks in favour of something 'nostalgic'.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2014, 04:25 AM   #2
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Re: Day of the Doctor soundtrack

Yeah, I listened to "The Day of the Doctor" today and imagine I will listen to "The Time of the Doctor" tomorrow. There's some great stuff here. "Song for Four" is the one that springs to mind now-- replaced by stock music in the finished program. I wonder what the story is there. A fellow on GB restored the original score here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2b...rator-scene_tv

I was disappointed at how sparse Murray's liner notes were-- there's like two sentences! He used to write a paragraph for each track.
Old December 9 2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

Had no idea this was even due.

If you're in a fragile state of mind, I wouldn't recommend listening to "The Long Song", eg the music from the 11/12 regeneration. It's actually quite heart breaking, in my opinion much more so than "Vale Decem". Murray Gold really excelled himself with that track.
Old December 9 2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Tom
Rear Admiral

Listening to DOTD now, wonder why they did not use his tracks during the 'We don't need to land / exiting the painting' part and the 'War Doctor/10 leaves/Tom Baker part. I do like some of it though.

As for Time of the Doctor, it is mostly as played in the episode, the 'Never Tell Me The Rules - Trenzalore/The Long Song/I Am Information (Reprise) - Hello Twelve' are pretty good.

@Mitty, As good as some of these tracks are, Vale Decem is till one of my all time favorites from Murray Gold.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2014, 12:03 AM   #5
Lonemagpie
Writer

It's a vastly inferior episode, but I actually prefer the Time soundtrack...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Mitty
Vice Admiral

View Mitty's Twitter Profile

I agree Vale Decem is still my single favourite track. But I really like some of this other stuff. As for the episode itself, I loved some of it... Matt's final speech about breath fading on a mirror, He's a coming... that was wonderful. The whole christmas dinner at Clara's was pointless and annoying. And I hated that Moffat aged him so much, that made me very, very angry. But bits of it I loved. I actually quite liked Handles, I loved the reappearance of the Crack, and the final revelation of what it actually was.
Old December 16 2014, 05:05 PM   #7
Worf2DS9
Writer

I discovered just yesterday that this had been released. I had just finished watching "Time of the Doctor" and went to the album to download a couple of my favourite tracks, only to find they weren't there! In the episode, I love the beautiful piano work that plays just after Tasha has brought Clara back to Trenzalore and she goes to be with the Doctor before he dies; not on the soundtrack. I also quite like the piece that plays when Clara is speaking to the Time Lords through the crack in the wall; but again, not on the soundtrack. What is there is some nice work by Gold, though.

As for "Day of the Doctor," I don't recall any memorable tracks that stuck with me, so I'll have to rewatch that before I can decide what, if anything, I want to download.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:24 AM   #8
The Wormhole
Admiral

Worf2DS9 wrote: View Post
I love the beautiful piano work that plays just after Tasha has brought Clara back to Trenzalore and she goes to be with the Doctor before he dies; not on the soundtrack.
That would be "Four Knocks" which was originally composed for The End of Time and released on the soundtrack for the 2009 specials. In The End of Time, it plays during the Doctor's "I could be so much more!" rant.

It is a great tune, but I kind of disagree with it being used in Time of the Doctor. Sure it fits the scene perfectly, but it is too closely tied to TEOT to simply be tossed into another episode. It is the culmination of a musical motif that had been running through both parts of TEOT making it part of the identity of that story. Using it in Time of the Doctor felt cheap and lazy.
Old Yesterday, 04:39 AM   #9
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, if there's music you liked from "Day" or "Time" and it's not on the soundtrack, odds are that it's recycled music that was on an earlier soundtrack!
Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM   #10
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh, and I almost forgot, here's the tune in question. Sorry, I had intended to put it in my other post, forgot, and when I tried editing it, a message kept popping up saying I was logged out. After times of logging in again five times and having this happen each time, I figured to hell with it and just posted a link in a new post.