Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 18 2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Slappy The Vulcan
Lieutenant Commander

What ever happened to the Stargazer?

Oka, forgive me because I don't know episodes, etc. I know picard commanded the stargazer before the Enterprise, If I'm not mistaken, that ship was on a 20 year mission and broke records for the longest continuing mission. I also know that picard and his crew had to abandon the stargazer after that battle with the feringi (sp). I remember an early TNG ep. where the feringi give the stargazer back to picard as a gift but its really a trick, and picard somehow relives the battle he abandoned the ship in, but thinks the enterprise is the feringi ship. so, my question is, did the enterprise blow up the stargazer and save picard? or was the stargazer towed to a starbase? if picard had to abandon the stargazer, how come it was fairly funtional when it was given back to him, and the enterprise couldnt detect the feringi components that would have been used to repair the ship? also, are the any other instances of a ship just being "left" in space? why was it destroyed or self-distructed? If the stargazer was taken back to the federation, I would assume that it would have been made into a museum or something because it was a fairly famous ship. lastly, are the any deck layouts for the stargazer? thanks for any info.
Old September 18 2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Cronos6939
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Cronos6939
Re: What ever happened to the Stargazer?

The Stargazer was damaged in battle with the Ferengi at Maxia Zeta in 2355. All surviving crew had to evacuate the ship afterwards (it is not explained why).

In 2364, the Ferengi give Picard back an operable Stargazer. Did they fix it up? Did the crew abandon ship because of radiation that later dissipated? Who knows? It just 'was ok.' Picard then took it into battle against the Enterprise, but it was caught in a tractor beam and Picard was rescued. The ship was then towed to a starbase and never heard from again.
Old September 18 2008, 06:07 AM   #3
AdmiralGarak
Rear Admiral

It's a fair bet that it was a simply scrapped. It was a heavilly damaged ship of an out-dated class.
AdmiralGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Timo
Admiral

If I'm not mistaken, that ship was on a 20 year mission and broke records for the longest continuing mission.
Naah. No such record-breaking is ever mentioned. It's just that Picard may have served on that ship for a couple of decades straight, which is perhaps a bit exceptional even in Starfleet.

Although to be sure, the idea that he would have been aboard for 22 years is completely noncanon, and only derived from the TNG writers' guide. For all we know, Picard first set foot on that vessel 12 years before her loss at the Battle of Maxia, and assumed command seven years prior...

And no, we don't know how many of those X years he spent as the actual captain of the vessel. Even though Memory Alpha unfathomably chooses to say that he became captain (and Captain) immediately after the incident where the former skipper was killed and Picard took temporary command, the short reference in "Tapestry" does not establish this at all.

In essence, all we know about Stargazer vs Picard is that the guy was a bridge officer of unknown rank aboard that ship once ("Tapestry"); took command when the Captain was incapacitated, and gained brownie points ("Tapestry"); at some unknown date became the commanding officer of the ship ("The Battle"); at some unknown date earned the four pips of Captain ("Relics"); and in 2354, lost first his good friend Jack Crusher ("Farpoint" and "Violations" et al.) and then his ship ("The Battle"). We also know that the Stargazer was the first ship aboard which Picard served as captain or Captain, but not necessarily the first one he commanded ("Relics"). Everything else is open for speculation, including whether Picard had other commands or tours of duty on other ships at some point of the timeline.

also, are the any other instances of a ship just being "left" in space?
Several, but these involve the death or incapacitation of basically all of the crew (say, "Doomsday Machine" or "Omega Glory" or, almost, "This Side of Paradise"). There is IIRC no known case of the crew abandoning a starship yet surviving and returning to the Federation. OTOH, there is no known case of the crew abandoning a starship and then scuttling it, either. So we have no evidence that it would be a Starfleet practice to engage self-destruct - unless this is of immediate help in destroying the enemy as in, say, ST3 or VOY "Deadlock".

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited by Timo; September 18 2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Further debunking of Memory Alpha...
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Plecostomus
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Plecostomus

We only saw a small portion of the interior. The rest of the ship could have been gutted by fire or contaminated by technobabble radiation or there could have been severe structural problems that we couldn't see...
Plecostomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Was Picard made a full Captain when he took command of the Stargazer? I thought that since it was a smaller ship of an already 70 year old class that he might've been only a Lt.Cmdr or a Commander when he was in command (since you don't have to be a full Captain to command all classes of ships).
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 03:41 AM   #7
Finn
Vice Admiral

I dunno. Probably covered in one of the novelizations.

Its possible the Stargazer is now in the Fleet Museum, in a little corner called "See Picard maneuvering".
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 09:31 AM   #8
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

It's now a gift shop and restaurant.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 01:48 PM   #9
MrsPicard
Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
Was Picard made a full Captain when he took command of the Stargazer? I thought that since it was a smaller ship of an already 70 year old class that he might've been only a Lt.Cmdr or a Commander when he was in command (since you don't have to be a full Captain to command all classes of ships).
One of the (IMO horrible) Stargazer novels has Jean-Luc as the ship's second officer, rank of Lieutenant Commander. He then takes charge when the captain is killed and the first officer is injured or something, I don't remember exactly, I'm trying to forget about the novels. *lol* He's then made captain I think. It's all non-canon anyway AND it is kinda false since Riker clearly says to him in "Encounter At Farpoint" that "Having been a first officer yourself, sir...", so we can assume that he must've been someone's first officer at some point.

So, we're once again left with a mystery, I guess.
MrsPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Timo
Admiral

Indeed, I can't believe Starfleet would give captaincy of a vessel to some junior upstart who just happened to save the day. Certainly that junior upstart would earn brownie points towards an eventual command job, and it is even possible that he would be remembered so fondly by those associated with the Stargazer that these powerful people would let him have that particular ship later on. But a direct jump to skipper just because you temporarily replace the deceased former one? Not all that believable.

Timo Saloniemi
Old September 19 2008, 11:11 PM   #11
Red Ranger
Admiral

Personally, I like to think Picard was first officer of Stargazer when he took command after his commanding officer died, and had just passed the bridge officer test and was therefore at the rank of full commander. After a few years, like Sisko on DSN, he was promoted from commander to captain while maintaining his previous billet, c.o. of Stargazer. I do agree that 22 years on one ship is a bit ridiculous. I like to think Picard had other assignments before serving on Stargazer. -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 05:31 AM   #12
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i always assumed the Stargazer ended up in the fleet museum. over twenty years of exploration under the same captain, thats pretty remarkable. Kirk was only Captain of the 1701 for ten then Captain of the A for six or seven.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

The FASA RPG suggested that the Stargazer was decommissioned after its recovery by the Enterprise. So it could certainly have been placed in a museum, or (less glamorously) scrapped.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources

Last edited by Unicron; September 20 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2008, 12:32 PM   #14
Timo
Admiral

i always assumed the Stargazer ended up in the fleet museum. over twenty years of exploration under the same captain, thats pretty remarkable.
...If true. Could be she was under the same captain for just five years or so.

Kirk was only Captain of the 1701 for ten then Captain of the A for six or seven.
To be sure, we only saw five years of Kirk's captaincy, namely those in TOS and TAS. For all we know, he never got a second chance to captain the original ship, save for the brief stints in ST:TMP and ST2. What Kirk did with the E-A remains unknown as well - perhaps she was a dockside queen, not sailing out much save for the movie appearances?

Timo Saloniemi
Old September 20 2008, 02:47 PM   #15
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

Here's the basic outline from the novels, with spoilers for Michael Jan Freidman's The Valiant and Christopher's excellent The Buried Age:

Now I need to go figure out what I did with The Buried Age, as I couldn't find it to double-check the Battle of Maxia. Argh.
Kira: That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it and if you do, no explanation is necessary.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote