Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 2 2012, 04:37 PM   #76
{ Google Spy }
Rear Admiral

Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Christopher wrote: View Post
{ Mitt Romney } wrote: View Post
You're talking about a show whose premise is that some writer is following around actual cops for 4 years now. When I've suspended my disbelief enough to buy that I have no problem buying the cases mirroring their private lives.
It's just that this is something most shows these days tend to do, sometimes quite blatantly (there was even an episode of Fringe last season where Olivia actually mentioned that they kept getting cases that coincidentally resonated with what was going on with them personally and wondered if there was some deeper pattern behind it), so I'm growing weary of it in general.
I don't watch a lot of TV at all so it's possible that I'm just not as tired of the concept as you are.
No argument there, it's subjective for sure. I can relate to getting tired of overused narrative devices.

You could've stopped here.

TV/Writer Logic =/= Real Life
And that's too easy a copout. I'm a writer myself
You don't have to repeat that again and again. Believe it or not, we're aware of it by now. It doesn't increase your credibility or lend your argument more weight in this case. I've studied literature and I understand concepts of literature without being a published writer myself.

You'd do your points a favour if you focused on the actual argument instead of building up ego/reputation/credibility through profession-dropping.

; I understand suspension of disbelief. But it can too easily be an excuse for laziness or sloppiness, and it shouldn't be. The goal is to try to minimize the amount of belief the audience is required to suspend. It's called willing suspension of disbelief, after all, not mandatory suspension.
Yeah, that's the point. It's what I was trying to say in my earlier post when I said that the cases are just a backdrop. They're not of much importance to me and many other people who like Castle. Many people don't watch Castle for the procedural parts so we don't mind if they're just used to provide some more subtext, comic relief or related background to what actually matters to people like myself. So I am willing to suspend my disbelief.
Castle is both drama and comedy and both aspects are character-driven, not plot-driven.

I don't like cop shows, I love Castle.
{ Google Spy } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:03 PM   #77
Christopher
Writer

{ Mitt Romney } wrote: View Post
You'd do your points a favour if you focused on the actual argument instead of building up ego/reputation/credibility through profession-dropping.
That's not what I'm doing. I don't think I have to prove anything to you. I was just offering my opinion of the episode, as I'm entitled to do, and you were the one who seemed to think it had to be an argument and criticized my opinions as if I were somehow wrong to have them. You're the one who seems to imagine this is some kind of debate that one of us has to win, which is a pretty damn ridiculous and rude way of approaching a discussion of a TV episode.

And frankly I feel that you're the one who's condescending to me and my entire profession by talking as though just because something is fictional, it's an excuse to be lazy and sloppy. It shows gross ignorance for what being a writer actually means, and is frankly rather insulting, so I think I'm entitled to point out to you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to what I do for a living. You're the one who could stand to learn a little humility.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:06 PM   #78
{ Google Spy }
Rear Admiral

And frankly I feel that you're the one who's condescending to me and my entire profession by talking as though just because something is fictional, it's an excuse to be lazy and sloppy. It shows gross ignorance for what being a writer actually means, and is frankly rather insulting, so I think I'm entitled to point out to you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to what I do for a living.
I'm going to ignore the overly dramatic tone and just address one point:

I don't think that having the cases mirror their personal stories as a subtext is "sloppy writing". I explained why people who like the character-driven part of the show and don't care much about the murder cases actually like that. It makes the cases interesting to people who don't like cop shows.

You are the one who thinks it's sloppy writing because you've got a pretty narrow view on how fiction should be written (with a heavy focus on plot.). So because the writers are doing something you don't like, and I defend it because my focus is different you accuse me of insulting writers by embracing sloppy writing? Give me a break.

Last edited by { Google Spy }; October 2 2012 at 05:23 PM.
{ Google Spy } is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:20 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

I was just coming back here to edit my comments to something less confrontational, because I recognize that I'm in a bad mood today and it's coloring my reactions, leading me to be inappropriately hostile. But you clearly relish being hostile and engaging in pointless ad hominem argument over something that really isn't worth it, so I think it would've been impossible to say something to you that wouldn't have provoked that kind of response. So I'll just walk away and not respond to you at all anymore.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 05:56 PM   #80
beamMe
Fleet Captain

I was just coming back here to edit my comments to something less confrontational, because I recognize that I'm in a bad mood today and it's coloring my reactions, leading me to be inappropriately hostile. But you clearly relish being hostile and engaging in pointless ad hominem argument over something that really isn't worth it, so I think it would've been impossible to say something to you that wouldn't have provoked that kind of response. So I'll just walk away and not respond to you at all anymore.
So you were only reading your own posts then?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 09:56 PM   #81
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Oh come on.. Castle is light entertainment and as such will never be considered Emmy or Globe worthy (as much as i'd want them to get some).. for whatever that means quality wise.

I have zero problems with cases resonating with personal stuff because as Borg Emilia pointed out most viewers are into Castle because of the characters and the romance between the leads. So the writers used a cheap trick in this one.. big deal. It was still very funny and entertaining and that's often enough with shows i like.

It's also not constantly the case with Castle that they use this method or on the nose as in this one so i can easily overlook it (if it needs overlooking at all.. i don't mind).

If you want perfectly developed storylines go read a good book.. this is mass entertainment and as such has different scales how it should be judged. You either agree and enjoy or you nitpick everything to death.. i'm guilty on both but i do try to enjoy shows most of the times and those i don't i simply stop watching and don't bother anymore.
FPAlpha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 11:23 PM   #82
JD
Admiral

I really enjoyed the last couple episodes. The Castle/Beckett relationship has already been pretty fun.
Old October 3 2012, 09:44 PM   #83
cultcross
Say my name...

beamMe wrote: View Post
So you were only reading your own posts then?
All three of you, knock it off. Let's dial back the snapping at each other and discuss the topic civilly. Otherwise, infractions will follow.
Old October 4 2012, 12:30 AM   #84
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Another great episode. Caskett has been handled beautifully so far, even the no telling anyone plot has been handled great and provided some amusing moment. Glad to see Epso and Ryan are finally on the path to "making up". Alexis and Martha are absent entirely from this episode. I have a feeling we're going to only see them in a handful of episodes this season...I'm guessing the writers will hold off on Rick and Kate going public for sweeps next month.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 05:06 PM   #85
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Finally got around to watching this week's episode. It was your basic fun, light episode of Castle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I fear them trying to keep Caskett a secret for too long will delve into old Three's Company or Friends territory, but whatever, it's fun for now. Next week's 'Storage Wars' episode looks good.
Old October 5 2012, 06:54 PM   #86
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

FYI: I saw "Frozen Heat" on sale at B&N the other day.
Old October 6 2012, 02:03 AM   #87
ISP Zombie
Fleet Captain

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile

Kirby wrote: View Post
Finally got around to watching this week's episode. It was your basic fun, light episode of Castle and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I fear them trying to keep Caskett a secret for too long will delve into old Three's Company or Friends territory, but whatever, it's fun for now. Next week's 'Storage Wars' episode looks good.
Haven't had the chance to see this week's episode yet, but I fear that as well. Hopefully they won't do that for too long. It'll be pretty funny once others find out .
Old October 6 2012, 04:56 AM   #88
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I started reading Frozen Heat the other day, and among the minor characters are a pair of detectives in Nikki Heat's squad: Detectives Malcolm and Reynolds.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 07:09 AM   #89
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Also should mention that the second Richard Castle graphic novel "Storm Season" comes out on October 17. Wonder if that is going to be tied-into the comic con episode? It is co-written by Brian Michael Bendis and Kelly Sue DeConnik with art from Emanuela Lupacchino.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 07:14 AM   #90
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Count von Count wrote: View Post
I started reading Frozen Heat the other day, and among the minor characters are a pair of detectives in Nikki Heat's squad: Detectives Malcolm and Reynolds.
Nice!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote