Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 26 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
lennier1
Commodore

Gerry Anderson has passed away

http://www.jamieanderson.me.uk/gerry-anderson-has-died/

26th December 2012

Gerry Anderson, known the world over as the film and television producer of Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet and Space:1999 amongst many others, has died at the age of 83.

On hearing the news the chairman of Fanderson Nick Williams paid tribute to him:

“To those who met him Gerry was a quiet, unassuming but determined man. His desire to make the best films he could drove him and his talented teams to innovate, take risks, and do everything necessary to produce quite inspirational works. Gerry’s legacy is that he inspired so many people and continues to bring so much joy to so many millions of people around the world.”

Anderson’s unique style of filmmaking influenced the imaginations and careers of countless creatives that succeeded him, and his productions continue to be shown around the world to new generations of fans.

Gerry was diagnosed with mixed dementia two years ago and his condition worsened quite dramatically over the past six months. Having already decided with his family on a care home for himself earlier this year, he moved in there in October.

Until very recently Anderson remained interested and involved in the film industry, keen to re-visit some of his earlier successes using the latest technology available. His last producer credit came in 2005 on New Captain Scarlet, a CGI-animated re-imagining of his 1967 Supermarionation series, which premiered on ITV in the UK. Most recently he worked as a consultant on a Hollywood remake of his 1969 series UFO, directed by Matthew Gratzner.

He also worked as a celebrity ambassador for The Alzheimer’s Society, helping to raise awareness of the disease and much-needed funds for the society.

Gerry leaves three children from former marriages, Joy, Linda and Gerry Junior, his son Jamie and widow Mary.
Fanderson will pay a full tribute to Gerry Anderson in FAB 74, due in March 2013.

Donations can be made to the Alzheimer’s Society in his memory.
It's a sad day when the world loses such an inspiring visionary.
May he rest in peace!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

Re: Gerry Anderson has passed away

Very sad news. Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds were a huge part of my childhood.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Relayer1
Commodore

There goes another piece of my childhood.

Very sad - RIP Gerry.

And thank you...

Last edited by Relayer1; December 26 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:43 PM   #4
DWF
Vice Admiral

He was a true giant in the world of science fiction, I loved Space:1999.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:48 PM   #5
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

A true visionary and hero of mine. Sad news.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 06:30 PM   #6
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I just saw this on a BBC news site. What a loss for us older fans who remember his shows.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
The Wormhole
Admiral

Damn. Although I'm too young to have been around when his shows first aired, reruns of Thunderbirds were on TV during my childhood years. In fact, the early 90s there was something of a Thunderbirds revival with episodes released on VHS and new toys released (die-cast metal "dinkies" of the Thunderbirds and action figures of the characters). I seem to remember his other shows being showsn in early 90s as well, like Captain Scarlet and Stingray, though those didn't catch on as much as Thunderbirds.

RIP.
Old December 26 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus

i grew up watching reruns of Stingray, Captain Scarlet and Space: 1999 on the Sci Fi ch. RIP.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

RIP Gerry. Sci-Fi has lost another great.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:09 PM   #10
cylkoth
Commodore

Sad news indeed. RIP Gerry.
Old December 26 2012, 10:25 PM   #11
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Shame to hear that. Time to unseal my complete box set of Space 1999 in memorial.
Old December 26 2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Flibble
Fleet Captain

RIP. I have some great childhood memories because of the characters that he gave us.
Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:42 PM   #13
Starkers
Admiral

Such a shame, and a great pity his final years were blighted by dementia he managed to help front the Memory Walks run by the Alzheimer's Society over the summer, so he was doing things almost to the end.

Saw him at an event at the National space Centre in Leicester a couple of years ago, he seemed somewhat confused but this made more sense when his condition was revealed a few months later.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:28 AM   #14
Australis
Writer

I was never one much for Thunderbirds (simply didn't show where I lived) and Space: 1999 (wonky science), but...

Growing up in country NSW, miles from anywhere, a whole world opened up with Supercar, Stingray, Fireball XL5, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, the Secret Service, and a little later UFO. To say he was a huge influence on my imagination is a wild understatement. To say that I looked forward to what was coming next from him, the same. I had a Stingray annual in the mid 60s that I read and reread until it literally fell to bits.

To say that I am sad today is well short of the mark.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

Last edited by Australis; December 27 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Such sad news. I don't think there are any sci-fi fans (certainly not in Britain) who weren't aware of Mr Anderson and the shows his team created. Colourful, innovative and visually impressive, pioneering in terms of effects and filming techniques - but in addition to all the impressive hardware and action adventure, the puppet shows were often whimsical, silly and delightfully bonkers, which gave them appeal across all age groups. Also produced two of the greatest adult sci-fi shows ever (certainly in my all-time top 5): "UFO" and "Space: 1999".

It is an impressive body of work that will stand as his lasting monument. I think it's fair to say that he was the most famous tv producer ever, in terms of being identified with his work. There are plenty of producers known for one or two great hits, but Gerry is unique in that his entire output is synonymous with his name. The "Gerry Anderson production" seems like a genre of its own. And that's a fantastic legacy.

RIP Gerry.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote