RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 485
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 15 2013, 11:10 PM   #496
Christopher
Writer

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Takeru wrote: View Post
I don't think they'll travel around the world, isn't SHIELD an american organization in this version? Operating internationally would make them criminals.
That's unclear. The use of "Homeland" in their current acronym implies an affiliation with the US Department of Homeland Security, yet in The Avengers they seemed to answer to some sort of international council.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:26 PM   #497
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Entertainment shows aren't bound by the strictures of reality. There have been any number of shows featuring globe-trotting agents who carry out hands-on missions around the world, either in cooperation with friendly governments or covertly in the case of countries with rogue regimes.
And I didn't like it in most of these shows (one of the few exceptions is Mission Impossible which made it clear that what they're doing is totally illegal and if they get caught the government will drop them like a hot potato) because I'm not comfortable the america = world police idea.
It's not even necessary, the USA is a very big and diverse country, I doubt there are many stories that can't be set within the jusrisdiction of an american SHIELD.

Christopher wrote: View Post
That's unclear. The use of "Homeland" in their current acronym implies an affiliation with the US Department of Homeland Security, yet in The Avengers they seemed to answer to some sort of international council.
The Homeland part is what made me assume they're an american organization, there's also a lack of non-american characters on the team, I would expect at least one token foreigner if they were international.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:34 PM   #498
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Fox sued Marvel over Mutant X saying they had exclusive rights to the X-Men and that the show was similar enough to X-Men that it violated that agreement, so Fox's X-Men rights at least must extend to live action television.
That was before Marvel had the hordes of Disney lawyers to back them up.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2013, 11:42 PM   #499
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
That was before Marvel had the hordes of Disney lawyers to back them up.
Fox has hordes of lawyers, too, and the X-Men rights deal was very favorable to Fox. Disney's juice isn't necessarily enough to prise those rights - either movie rights or live action TV rights - away. And Marvel's defense at the time wasn't that they had the right to make a live action X-Men TV show, but that Mutant X wasn't derived from the X-Men property.
Old May 15 2013, 11:49 PM   #500
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

It wasn't. It was a vaguely similar premise but without any of the Marvel universe and mythology behind it and, as I recall, it was also absolutely terrible. Use of "Mutant" seems to be what got them, and I'm pretty sure that play wouldn't have worked if those Fox lawyers were up against a worthy opponent.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 12:34 AM   #501
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

"Mutant" plus "X" is what got them.
Old May 16 2013, 12:50 AM   #502
JD
Admiral

Is anything/one not owned by another studio automatically available to Marvel Studios?
Old May 16 2013, 12:53 AM   #503
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Is anything/one not owned by another studio automatically available to Marvel Studios?
Yes, they have the rights to all Marvel properties that haven't been specifically optioned to other studios.
Old May 16 2013, 01:17 AM   #504
Mike Farley
Commodore

"Mutant" plus "X" is what got them.
MUTANT X was actually the title of an X-Family book, although, the actual content of the book in no way was reflected in the TV show.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 01:22 AM   #505
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

^^^
Bad idea to use that title. But the point really is that the question was raised as to whether Marvel has the live action TV rights to all of their characters, and they clearly don't.
Old May 16 2013, 01:48 AM   #506
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Or it could mean that Bell is choosing not to confirm or deny anything, and would say the same whether it was an established character or a fully original one. Producers tend to do that.
Not just producers. Clark Gregg straight-out lied about his involvement with the show before it was announced. In fact, he lied about Coulson dying in Avengers as well. Tom Hiddleston lied about being in Avengers. Hayley Atwell denied involvement in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Old May 16 2013, 01:55 AM   #507
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It would be silly to keep the mystery going if he just turns out to be an original character, though.
Old May 16 2013, 02:07 PM   #508
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
If the show portrays them as just jumping into their plane, flying around the world and playing superhero cop, it would make SHIELD a bunch of terrorists.
Well, they did order a nuclear strike on Manhattan without refering the White House in any way, and the real-life Pentagon refused to cooperate with the Avengers movie for exactly that ambiguity.

Unless it's been cleared up by Iron Man 3, which I haven't yet seen, I think this SHIELD show had best clarify just what this organization is, and fast.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:15 PM   #509
Dream
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Clark Gregg straight-out lied about his involvement with the show before it was announced. In fact, he lied about Coulson dying in Avengers as well. Tom Hiddleston lied about being in Avengers. Hayley Atwell denied involvement in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Happens all the time. Marion Cotillard also lied by saying she wasn't Talia in The Dark Knight Rises. It is done to preserve the surprise for fans.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2013, 02:17 PM   #510
Christopher
Writer

Gaith wrote: View Post
Well, they did order a nuclear strike on Manhattan without refering the White House in any way, and the real-life Pentagon refused to cooperate with the Avengers movie for exactly that ambiguity.
SHIELD didn't order the nuclear strike. The nebulous Council they reported to ordered the strike, and Fury, the head of SHIELD, refused to obey that order.

Unless it's been cleared up by Iron Man 3, which I haven't yet seen, I think this SHIELD show had best clarify just what this organization is, and fast.
SHIELD plays no role in Iron Man 3.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote