Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 20 2012, 01:55 AM   #256
Christopher
Writer

Re: Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Hmm -- "...slightly obsessed with superhero culture and the shadow organizations that exist within it." Like what? What shadow organizations are there other than SHIELD itself and various villain groups?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 02:27 AM   #257
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

SLJ is willing to have a small role, ala Charlie on "Charlie's Angels".
Old December 20 2012, 02:52 AM   #258
Dream
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
SLJ is willing to have a small role, ala Charlie on "Charlie's Angels".
So Fury is going to only be heard over an intercom for the entire series?
Old December 20 2012, 03:26 AM   #259
Christopher
Writer

Actually what Jackson said was that he imagined that "if nothing else," then "at least" his voice would be heard a la Charlie. So he's not saying that's specifically what he wants; he's open to doing more. But he hasn't actually talked to Whedon about it.

Old December 20 2012, 08:32 AM   #260
wamdue
Admiral

Jackson does a very good job of giving the appearance he is up for just about anything, but he is only one man, and he wont have time for much else, unless we are talking the briefest of cameos.
Old December 20 2012, 09:06 PM   #261
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I kinda feel like a few Jackson cameos would be essential for a S.H.I.E.L.D. series. They're already going to feature Agent Coulson somehow, and I am sure Joss will use him effectively (perhaps in flashbacks?). But Fury needs to have a presence, even if he is only featured in a tiny role.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:06 PM   #262
wamdue
Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I kinda feel like a few Jackson cameos would be essential for a S.H.I.E.L.D. series. They're already going to feature Agent Coulson somehow, and I am sure Joss will use him effectively (perhaps in flashbacks?). But Fury needs to have a presence, even if he is only featured in a tiny role.
If How I Met Your Mother was to end, then Maria Hill, could very easily appear in this new series, even in a recurring role, she would be a strong link to the movie franchise, after that a few phone calls between her and Fury (SLJ) is the golden.
Old December 21 2012, 01:37 AM   #263
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

wamdue wrote: View Post
Jackson does a very good job of giving the appearance he is up for just about anything, but he is only one man, and he wont have time for much else, unless we are talking the briefest of cameos.
Charlie never appeared on Charlie's Angels (though I do think they showed his arms or legs several times) his voice was just heard over the phone. They can use a stand in for parts of his body and Jackson can do his lines over the phone while he's at home in his underwear.
Old December 21 2012, 02:18 AM   #264
Christopher
Writer

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Charlie never appeared on Charlie's Angels (though I do think they showed his arms or legs several times) his voice was just heard over the phone.
A bunch of other TV characters have only been heard and never seen, including Rhoda's Carlton the Doorman (who was seen in a cartoon spinoff pilot that aired once), Magnum PI's Robin Masters, Mork and Mindy's Orson, TRON: Uprising's "Voice of the Grid," etc.

The one that gets me is the PA announcer on M*A*S*H, a role played by Todd Susman and sometimes Sal Viscuso. Sometimes we'd hear the announcer's voice over the PA and then cut directly to a scene in the company clerk's office where the PA microphone was, and there'd be nobody there except the regular cast. So where was this voice coming from??? Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!

Old December 21 2012, 01:09 PM   #265
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

^Um Chris, that was paying way to much attention.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 06:10 PM   #266
wamdue
Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
wamdue wrote: View Post
Charlie never appeared on Charlie's Angels (though I do think they showed his arms or legs several times) his voice was just heard over the phone. They can use a stand in for parts of his body and Jackson can do his lines over the phone while he's at home in his underwear.
I am aware of how Charlies Angels works, I am just not sure S.H.I.E.L.D should work quite that way, Its just going to make viewers want to see Fury all the more, if the show is going to be successful, it needs to stand on the feet of its cast, not on the disembodied voice of Nick Fury.
Old December 21 2012, 06:36 PM   #267
Christopher
Writer

^Again, we shouldn't take Jackson's offhand wisecrack about appearing Charlie-style too literally, or expend any energy worrying about it as if it were an actual plan on the producers' part, which it isn't. All Jackson meant is that he's willing to participate in some way, even if it's as minimal as an occasional voiceover. But he hasn't formally talked to the producers about it yet.

Old December 21 2012, 10:00 PM   #268
Kaijima
Captain

I keep having this notion that Whedon being Whedon, Coulson on this show will be an LMD of the real man who did actually die. But since Coulson proved to be such a good agent, SHIELD uses him as the basis for the first experimental LMD to see if they can work in the field.

Then the twist is, "Coulson" dies again and again, being a disposable roboagent. Then shows up again a few episodes later when they decant a fresh Coulson. Seems like the Joss thing to do - make everyone uncomfortable by treading over the humanity of a beloved character.
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 11:38 PM   #269
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

^Honestly? I think that that bit would get old fast. Hell, even South Park stopped doing the "Kenny" gag after a while.
Old December 22 2012, 03:39 AM   #270
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Yeah.

Phil as Marvel's Kenny?

No, thanks.

Stick with the Push Theory.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote