RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 490
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old August 30 2012, 04:56 AM   #1
los2188
Commander

Male pattern baldness in the Trek Era?

From the bits and pieces that I can remember from Star Trek, a lot of the common dieases and other malodies of our reality now have cures like the common cold, radiation poisoning, etc....so why are their still male pattern bald men walking around during the Trek era? We have all these cures for "real" and fatal diseases, yet there's no cure for baldness, Kirk and Chekov's toupees aside of course. I've always wondered about that...
Old August 30 2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Male pattern baldness in the Trek Era?

People aren't as hung up on in the future.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 05:24 AM   #3
Tiberius
Commodore

los2188 wrote: View Post
From the bits and pieces that I can remember from Star Trek, a lot of the common dieases and other malodies of our reality now have cures like the common cold, radiation poisoning, etc....so why are their still male pattern bald men walking around during the Trek era? We have all these cures for "real" and fatal diseases, yet there's no cure for baldness, Kirk and Chekov's toupees aside of course. I've always wondered about that...
Since when is baldness a disease?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 05:46 AM   #4
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Patrick Stewart was asked about why there would still be baldness in the 24th Century, and why it wasn't "cured." His answer was that by the 24th Century, no one would care.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 05:57 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

And since you can cure it, it becomes a fashion choice not to.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 06:23 AM   #6
los2188
Commander

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I never said it was a disease. Baldness is a condition called [SIZE=2]androgenic alopecia. It's not a disease so much, but high levels of testosterone in men after puberty is converted to dihydrotestosterone, which has an adverse affect on hair follicles. Now I don't know what all that means, but baldness, in my opinion is more of a non-fatal condition and is not very important, but I would think in the Trek era there would be a "cure" for lack of a better word.
[/SIZE]
Old August 30 2012, 07:00 AM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Roddenberry just said people don't care about baldness in the 24th century.
Old August 30 2012, 07:38 AM   #8
teacake
Admiral

And YET.. no bald women. Other than Ilia and probably some other non-humans.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 30 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's a style choice - Picard and Sisko aren't really bald, they just shave their heads to resemble their idol, the great Captain Robau.

Old August 30 2012, 11:57 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
It's a style choice - Picard and Sisko aren't really bald, they just shave their heads to resemble their idol, the great Captain Robau.

ANNNNNND... that's the end of the thread.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 30 2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Tiberius
Commodore

Tiberius wrote: View Post
I never said it was a disease. Baldness is a condition called androgenic alopecia. It's not a disease so much, but high levels of testosterone in men after puberty is converted to dihydrotestosterone, which has an adverse affect on hair follicles. Now I don't know what all that means, but baldness, in my opinion is more of a non-fatal condition and is not very important, but I would think in the Trek era there would be a "cure" for lack of a better word.
If it isn't a problem, why talk of fixing it?
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post

ANNNNNND... that's the end of the thread.
It will now be Boxed.
Old August 30 2012, 10:11 PM   #13
scotpens
Vice Admiral

I never said it was a disease. Baldness is a condition called [SIZE=2]androgenic alopecia.
So the problem is men's heads being a size too large for the hair they have?
Old August 30 2012, 11:02 PM   #14
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

The great Mr. Shishkabob.

Personally, I think it can be cured in the future, some folks do it, some like Picard don't, and are just fine with a bald head. It's like the Klingon cranial ridge reconstruction, I am sure there's still a few smooth headed Klingons out there, somewhere.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 11:50 PM   #15
teacake
Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
It's like the Klingon cranial ridge reconstruction, I am sure there's still a few smooth headed Klingons out there, somewhere.
But why? Unless they were playing humans in brothels for some Klingon's interspecies kink.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne