A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 29 2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Q and Guinan

I was just rewatching old episodes, and came across Q Who randomly...

I was just wondering if the nature of the relationship between Q and Guinan was ever discussed in the books or anywhere else?

The way they talk in the episode, seems to indicate that Q and Guinan have some sort of history or back story together, but as far as i can remember, it was never explained further in the series...

Can anyone enlighten me here, or was it just left at that and never tied up?

M
Old August 29 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
RaymondJames
Captain

Re: Q and Guinan

Sadly, no. I do not believe this has ever been covered in the novels and short stories. Odd. I hope that someone does at least write something that covers this potentially wonderful story.
Old August 29 2012, 10:40 PM   #3
sonak
Vice Admiral

my theory is that they were former lovers
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 10:54 PM   #4
RaymondJames
Captain

sonak wrote: View Post
my theory is that they were former lovers
hahahaha nice one. I personally have always speculated that it has something to do with their philosophies regarding the universe/time. The Q seem to have little regard for other species and use them like pawns on a chess board. The El-Aurian seem to be very connected to time and space,and hold a respect for things. I speculate that the Q and Guinan's species clashed at some point. Even in "Q Who," Guinan showed great disgust for what Q (the one we knew very well from TNG) had done by sending the Enterprise-D in the path of a Borg cube.
Old August 29 2012, 10:56 PM   #5
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

I'm guessing Q's probably tormented Guinan and her people. Picard also could say that he had a 'history' with Q at the end of the series, although surely not as long as the history between Guinan and Q.

He probably did something really mean, like turn the leader of the El-Aurians into a Cardassian flea.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 11:28 PM   #6
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Guinan's people are very long lived and even seem to have a perception that transcends space and time. It's possible there was an "encounter" of some-sort between Gunian and Q that built a strong mutual mistrust. I like the notion they're former lovers with Q being the spurned one.

And contrary to what some people perceive in "Q-Who" I don't believe Qunian (or any El-Aurians) have "zappy powers" or something as suggested by her stance when they first encounter one another in 10-Fwd. I think she was just taking an offensive/defensive stance ready to throw down with Q if he got physical.
Old August 29 2012, 11:42 PM   #7
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos

not sure personally...

from the encounter in Q Who, the way Guinan was stood, specifically the way she moved her hands defensively, said she had a way of defending herself against Q's powers...

It was sort of confirmed by the way Q described her as an 'imp' and 'not what she appeared to be'... made me wonder if the writers had planned Guinan's race as being the 'anti-Q' so to speak

M
Old August 29 2012, 11:54 PM   #8
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
I'm guessing Q's probably tormented Guinan and her people. Picard also could say that he had a 'history' with Q at the end of the series, although surely not as long as the history between Guinan and Q.

He probably did something really mean, like turn the leader of the El-Aurians into a Cardassian flea.
"Wherever she goes, trouble follows."

This is just speculation on my part, but I see Q having taken an interest with Guinan kind of like Q took an interest to Vash. In their explorations, which Gunian was directing, they came upon the Borg. The Borg having learned of the El-Aurians, targetted them and Guinan blames Q for it or for not saving them as he watched.
Old August 30 2012, 12:18 AM   #9
XFozzboute
Commander

View XFozzboute's Twitter Profile

Maybe they're the same person split in two. Or not.
Old August 30 2012, 12:32 AM   #10
Shikarnov
Rear Admiral

Methos wrote: View Post
made me wonder if the writers had planned Guinan's race as being the 'anti-Q' so to speak
Now that's an interesting idea. Guinan, the epitome of the Federation's Prime Directive. Observing, but never interfering - even in the face of a Borg invasion straight to Earth. And Q, the meddler, tormenter, pushing humanity to the brink of destruction, all to test our mettle.

That would have been so engaging, and a much better background for Guinan's people than a race of refugee listeners.
Old September 1 2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Methos wrote: View Post
not sure personally...

from the encounter in Q Who, the way Guinan was stood, specifically the way she moved her hands defensively, said she had a way of defending herself against Q's powers...

It was sort of confirmed by the way Q described her as an 'imp' and 'not what she appeared to be'... made me wonder if the writers had planned Guinan's race as being the 'anti-Q' so to speak

M
If Guinan were powerful enough to stand up to Q, then how did the Borg nearly manage to destroy her people?

The Traveler and Douwd also were not what they seemed. It doesn't mean they were able to take on a Q, though.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 12:00 AM   #12
T'Preea
Commander

View T'Preea's Twitter Profile

I've always wondered about Q and Guinan. I always thought that however far back they go, Q and the Continuum might have been enemies of the El-Aurians. Or Guinan may have made a deal with Q and he broke his end of the bargain. He does tend to do that on many occasions. It would be nice if some literature could be put out about the back story on the two of them so we don't have to keep wondering and speculating about it.
Old September 4 2012, 04:39 AM   #13
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I think the key to Guinan's character was that we were never really supposed to know much about her. It was the mystery that kept her interesting. She was never even identified as an El Aurian until they thought it would be nice for her and Soran to be of the same race. We get little nuggets of information, like her history with Q or her having been on Earth hundreds of years earlier, but nothing concrete.

By the same token, we can't really make any definite pronouncements as to her powers or lack thereof. Perhaps she does have some power that makes her as formidable as the Q. Or perhaps she has some quality that acts as an effective defense against Q, but not such a power that she could be effective against someone like the Borg. What if her "sixth sense" and innate understanding of time and space, and her seeming ability to see beyond the space/time continuum, give her a way to see past the Q's "parlor tricks," so to speak, making them ineffective?
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 06:07 PM   #14
Mr_Homn
Captain

I forget, in the episode, does guinan have a problem with "the Q" or just this specific Q (john de lancie)? Because that would be a big difference. I always get the impression the other Q are not as bad as OUR Q.

Last edited by Mr_Homn; September 5 2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: accidentally typed the complete opposite of what i meant.
Mr_Homn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 08:35 PM   #15
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

^ Guinan begins by exclaiming "I knew it was you!" and then later tells Picard, regarding Q, "we have had some dealings." So it would seem she is familiar with the Q we all know. Whether or not she has had any problems with other members of the Q species is never established.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote