RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,345
Posts: 5,353,883
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 591
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

 
 
Thread Tools
Old September 3 2012, 07:21 PM   #16
Mars
Captain
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Maybe keep the starship, dispense with the BSG crew, I think the Federation could really use a starship like that in Star Trek Online.
Mars is offline  
Old September 6 2012, 07:40 PM   #17
aelius
Commander
 
aelius's Avatar
 
Location: Magna Roma
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

tighr wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post
What if the Galactica was a Galaxy Class Starship, imagine the same sort of characters in BSG as the crew of a Federation ship, starting with Bill Adama as captain, what would the other crew positions for significant characters be in the Star Trek World, and how would Kara Thrace and Lee Adama fit in? Would they be shuttle pilots or something else?
The Galaxy-class ships and the Battlestars are not easily comparable. The Galactica is a heavy battle cruiser, with fighters and an on-board Marine compliment. Galaxy-class ships are exploratory vessels with science equipment.

As I mentioned in your other thread, there are no real fighters in the Star Trek universe, as nearly all battles take place between large ships. For Lee and Kara to be shuttle pilots would probably be a step-down from what they're used to. So it'd be interesting to see a "Battlestar-class" ship in Star Trek, complete with Vipers and a launch bay.
In "Sacrifice of Angels" Sisko threw Fighter Wing after Fighter Wing at the Dominion fleet to blow a hole in their lines.
You can argue over their effectiveness, but I get tired of the desperate insistence that there are no fighters in Star Trek.
I agree they do not operate like fighters in the modern world, but they must be good at doing something or Starfleet wouldn't build them. They are entirely too vulnerable for the feds to throw them out there, with all of the casualties that entails, for no return.
I always figured they were good at weakening shields before the battle lines met. But I freely admit that is just my own interpretation.
__________________
4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
Evil Overlords Survival Guide
Captain Marcus Aurelius Ferretti
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline  
Old September 6 2012, 09:44 PM   #18
Mars
Captain
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

I liked that picture of the "Trekified Battlestar submitted in the second or third post, I think that would fit in fine in the Trek Universe, but I have to admit, it looks more like a warship than an exploritory vessel, with four warp nacelles no less, it could probably tear a Galaxy class ship apart and take on seven Klingon Battlecruisers all at once, especially with its fighter wings!
Mars is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Back in the late 70's - early 80's, we made a Battlestar SSD for Star Fleet Battles.

We tried to stay true to the concept. No shields but lots of armor, no phasers, but lots of lasers (or at least lots of low end phasers, type 3's maybe).

I really can't remember the outcome.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Mars
Captain
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Back in the late 70's - early 80's, we made a Battlestar SSD for Star Fleet Battles.

We tried to stay true to the concept. No shields but lots of armor, no phasers, but lots of lasers (or at least lots of low end phasers, type 3's maybe).

I really can't remember the outcome.
What exactly is the difference between a phaser and a laser anyway? A laser could be set on stun too, its called an electrolaser, a low intensity laser beam ionizes a path through the air to the target, then an electric current is run from the laser to target of sufficient intensity to stun him but not kill.
Mars is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 05:07 PM   #21
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral
 
Ar-Pharazon's Avatar
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

If I remember correctly, SFB had "lasers" and they were weaker than phasers. But it has been a long time since I played.

As far as real world difference, ya got me.
__________________
Rimmer, on what period of history to live in-
“Well, It’d be the 19th century for me, one of Napoleon’s marshals.
The chance to march across Europe with the greatest general of all time and kill Belgians” - (White Hole).
Ar-Pharazon is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 06:38 PM   #22
aelius
Commander
 
aelius's Avatar
 
Location: Magna Roma
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Mars wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Back in the late 70's - early 80's, we made a Battlestar SSD for Star Fleet Battles.

We tried to stay true to the concept. No shields but lots of armor, no phasers, but lots of lasers (or at least lots of low end phasers, type 3's maybe).

I really can't remember the outcome.
What exactly is the difference between a phaser and a laser anyway? A laser could be set on stun too, its called an electrolaser, a low intensity laser beam ionizes a path through the air to the target, then an electric current is run from the laser to target of sufficient intensity to stun him but not kill.
I assume you know how a laser works.
Phasers are particle weapons using imaginary particles called Nadions. Applying an electrical charge to a crystal with an odd name I can't remember right now causes it to generate "rapid nadions" creating a very flexible weapon that can do all the things phasers can do. Whereas lasers pretty much just transfer heat to things very rapidly so they are limited to cutting and blasting, phasers can also slowly heat things and disintegrate them as well.
The description of phasers is from the TNG Tech Manual.
__________________
4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.
Evil Overlords Survival Guide
Captain Marcus Aurelius Ferretti
Proud Member of the TrekBBS Armada
aelius is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 07:24 PM   #23
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Mars wrote: View Post
Of course Saul Tigh would be first officer, I wonder what Star Fleet command would think of his drinking habits?
Chief Engineer Scott's drinking habits did not seem to bother anyone.

But (for the obvious reason) TOS had a 1960's vibe, and engineers were almost expected to be power drinkers and even to be slightly "buzzed" on duty.

Last edited by T'Girl; September 7 2012 at 08:22 PM.
T'Girl is offline  
Old September 15 2012, 10:40 AM   #24
G2309
Captain
 
G2309's Avatar
 
View G2309's Twitter Profile
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

I like the picture of uss Galataca. But I'd hate to imagine the series with the no human conflict rule. No doubt the'd be synthacigarettes too.
__________________
For parodies check out

http://wondersandparodies.blogspot.c...y-scripts.html
G2309 is offline  
Old September 15 2012, 01:20 PM   #25
Mars
Captain
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

G2309 wrote: View Post
I like the picture of uss Galataca. But I'd hate to imagine the series with the no human conflict rule. No doubt the'd be synthacigarettes too.
real utopias are boring.
Mars is offline  
Old September 15 2012, 03:56 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Mars wrote: View Post
I liked that picture of the "Trekified Battlestar submitted in the second or third post, I think that would fit in fine in the Trek Universe, but I have to admit, it looks more like a warship than an exploritory vessel, with four warp nacelles no less, it could probably tear a Galaxy class ship apart and take on seven Klingon Battlecruisers all at once, especially with its fighter wings!
Did you get a "woody" when you typed that?
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline  
Old September 15 2012, 06:51 PM   #27
Wereghost
Commodore
 
Wereghost's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

Mars wrote: View Post
What if the Galactica was a Galaxy Class Starship, imagine the same sort of characters in BSG as the crew of a Federation ship, starting with Bill Adama as captain, what would the other crew positions for significant characters be in the Star Trek World, and how would Kara Thrace and Lee Adama fit in? Would they be shuttle pilots or something else?
To be frank, that would be a little bit like giving the characters of Deadwood or The Sopranos their own starship. It simply wouldn't happen in the (non-MU) Federation as we know it, bar some crazy facilitating event like a Laura Roslin gaining power and authorising it.

The NuBSG colonial military is, in my opinion, conceptually descended from RDM's take on the Klingon Empire. They've eschewed progress, seemingly letting an atavistic culture of violence and honour take hold. The decisions they make suggest that a violent death is to be in some way coveted, perhaps as a means of reaching the fields of Elysium. Altruism, reason and philanthropy are to be distrusted and even abominated, as they repeatedly demonstrate in their approach to certain characters.

Mars wrote: View Post
In fact all the crew does a lot of drinking, now that I mention it, and a Chief Medical officer who smokes in front of his patients, seems this would be a most unusual starship in the fleet.
Well, the 23rd Century did have at least one somewhat curmudgeonly sawbones of its own.

Mars wrote: View Post
We got to make Number Six a crew member too, she would be a tall female version of commander Data with her emotion chip intact. Can you picture this?
Number Six would also need her ethical subroutines enabled, as would Athena . Sharon, on the other hand, would fit right in with minor adjustments if any.

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
USS Galactica:




That's highly impressive, though it reminds me more of The Beast (Pegasus) than The Bucket (Galactica).
__________________
"Two things have always been true about human beings. One, the world is always getting better. Two, the people living at that time think it`s getting worse."
Penn Jillette.
Wereghost is offline  
Old September 17 2012, 03:56 AM   #28
Mars
Captain
 
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

^ It looks deadlier than a Galaxy class, if the Federation was serious about fighting a war, it would build and deploy these. The various Enterprises all look like cowboys with big hats riding a rocket. I think it would take at least 10 Klingon Battlecruisers to take on this bad dude. I think if the Terran Empire lasted into the 24th century it might build a ship that looks like that, it was War written all over it.
Mars is offline  
Old September 21 2012, 04:42 PM   #29
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral
 
137th Gebirg's Avatar
 
Location: Who is John Galt?
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

^^^ Reminds me of a Trek/TOS BSG crossover story from many years ago, when Galactica encounters the 24th century Federation. A random Klingon commander visiting Spacedock on Earth sees Galactica for the first time and responds with a mix of surprise, awe and maybe even a little apprehension, "Humans built THAT??" It was a cool moment.
__________________
Gebirgswick - Ind, Tra, Sec & Env.
137th Gebirg is offline  
Old September 28 2012, 03:00 PM   #30
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: USS Galactica in Star Trek

aelius wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
Mars wrote: View Post
What if the Galactica was a Galaxy Class Starship, imagine the same sort of characters in BSG as the crew of a Federation ship, starting with Bill Adama as captain, what would the other crew positions for significant characters be in the Star Trek World, and how would Kara Thrace and Lee Adama fit in? Would they be shuttle pilots or something else?
The Galaxy-class ships and the Battlestars are not easily comparable. The Galactica is a heavy battle cruiser, with fighters and an on-board Marine compliment. Galaxy-class ships are exploratory vessels with science equipment.

As I mentioned in your other thread, there are no real fighters in the Star Trek universe, as nearly all battles take place between large ships. For Lee and Kara to be shuttle pilots would probably be a step-down from what they're used to. So it'd be interesting to see a "Battlestar-class" ship in Star Trek, complete with Vipers and a launch bay.
In "Sacrifice of Angels" Sisko threw Fighter Wing after Fighter Wing at the Dominion fleet to blow a hole in their lines.
You can argue over their effectiveness, but I get tired of the desperate insistence that there are no fighters in Star Trek.
I agree they do not operate like fighters in the modern world, but they must be good at doing something or Starfleet wouldn't build them. They are entirely too vulnerable for the feds to throw them out there, with all of the casualties that entails, for no return.
I always figured they were good at weakening shields before the battle lines met. But I freely admit that is just my own interpretation.
Or.. the writers didn't have a clue about naval tactics, didn't really think profoundly about what a realistic Trek space battle should look like but went with what looks cool and what people can relate to.

Realistically fighters in Starfleet make absolutely no sense.. main weaponry of a starship are energy weapons meaning that once they lock on a fighter they will hit it. No fighter can evade being shot at with weapons at light speed. Additionally they are too small to be equipped with shields and armor to withstand a capital class weapon and they are also too small to carry weapons that would have a meaningful impact on a capital ship.

So anything below a scout class vessel makes no sense in Trek when it comes to battle because they'd just be wasting personell and material for no effective gain.
__________________
"A control freak like you with something you can't control? No no.. that's gonna be more fun than shark week!" Det. Javier Esposito
FPAlpha is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.