Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 31 2012, 08:45 PM   #31
TenLubak
Commander

Re: Columbia House VHS

Yea, I pretty much wanted to know if they were still valuable or not, I see a couple un opened ones on EBAY for 8 dollars so times that by the 18 i bought and I could not open them op and perhaps makes some money i very much need since i got laid off. I went back to college, so my unemployment stops as well. That was what I wanted to know, to open or not to open?
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2012, 09:22 PM   #32
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

In reality, they're worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. I doubt there's many out there willing to lay out $8 (plus S&H) for a decades old VHS tape of an old TV series. I think $8 is high, personally.
Old September 1 2012, 03:38 AM   #33
TenLubak
Commander

Yeah thats what I thought. I think i am gonna open them up and view em. I wish i got all over em but i didnt!
Old September 1 2012, 04:48 PM   #34
TenLubak
Commander

Still haven't opened them up. I think i might today if i study really good. I wish some body would say open them up and enjoy them because you wouldnt get anything for them anyway. Then I could watch them!
Old September 1 2012, 05:55 PM   #35
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

"open them up and enjoy them because you wouldnt get anything for them anyway"
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2012, 06:16 PM   #36
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

TenLubak wrote: View Post
They had like the whole series at goodwill, I went back a couple days later to get a couple more, but they were all gone. I didnt want to be an ass and buy all of them, but it looks like some one else maybe did
Someone bought a tape or two from a collection of The Prisoner VHS tapes in a charity shop I spotted a while back. I had intended to pop by when I had time to buy the lot, when I saw someone buying them piecemeal, I thought about buying the last one in case they were buying the entire run, just out of spite
Old September 3 2012, 05:42 PM   #37
billcosby
Commodore

Ah, cloudy old VHS. I have TNG recorded off television in its entirety... most of it from original broadcast which is kind of cool. However I only very recently scored a functioning VCR. It's one of those formerly ubiquitous things that when you actually find an old tape with something good on it (especially a series that has/will never see DVD/BluRay release) it can be difficult to track one down.

I take the poor quality and local channel commercials as part of the nostalgia. But agreed with the poster the DVDs are so muddy and grainy it's kind of sad and pathetic watching them knowing what the 1080 quality is like!

I will likely have to hold onto those tapes forever for sentimental reasons but as a retro nerd having an entire Columbia House collection would be excellent. The space to store it is another matter entirely!

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 06:32 PM   #38
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

Someone is selling the whole Columbia House set on eBay for $80. And some tapes are going individually for over $10 apiece. I've seen TOS unopened CH VHS going for over $20 per. There's still a market for them, apparently.
Old September 7 2012, 04:25 AM   #39
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Someone is selling the whole Columbia House set on eBay for $80. And some tapes are going individually for over $10 apiece. I've seen TOS unopened CH VHS going for over $20 per. There's still a market for them, apparently.
Just because something's old does not mean you need to wash your hands of it. Hell, if people were put into that rule, everyone would be put to death ala Logan's Run, except for the ones who would make that rule, of course.

Anyhow, I picked up about 25-30 VHS tapes of All in the Family last year at a resale shop for about 20 dollars, several of them still sealed, and with 4 episodes a tape, so I got at least 100 episodes for about $1.50 a tape so that's like 38 cents an episode. And like I said, I'm not an HD snob, so it's all good. Still got an NES that works perfectly, most new game consoles won't even work after a few years. And some stuff so far has not gone onto DVD, so one has to make do, especially if it's difficult to get in any format.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote