Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 20 2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Real Captain Dax

The year is 2388, thirteen years after the Dominion War ended. Aboard the U.S.S. Renown, Captain Ezri Dax assumes her first command, with a newly assembled crew on a mission of peaceful exploration beyond the Cardassian Union (a region previously inaccessable to Starfleet), they begin their mission to go boldly into the new frontier.

It was a thought that occured to me whilst replying to another thread. If they want an established character as Captain, instead of the overused Worf idea, they could do Ezri right. Give her thirteen years to get to the rank, make it her first command, on a slightly older ship, add to that an eleven year old, half-human child and a marriage across light-years to a certain station-based doctor.

Thoughts?
Old September 20 2012, 10:39 AM   #2
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: The Real Captain Dax

I once had an idea of a 25th-Century male Dax that was a Starfleet captain, commanding his own ship (not the Enterprise, though). He would be somewhat of a Doctor Who-type in the sense of being somewhat whimsical at times and have an outsider's perspective on Humans. He would every once in a blue moon call upon the experiences of either Jadzia or Ezri.
Old September 20 2012, 06:35 PM   #3
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well this is not exactly an original idea being... well Ezri already got a command in the novels.
Old September 20 2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm aware of that. But this would be an older Ezri, with more hands on experience, on her first commnad aboard an older ship, married to Bashir and with a daughter.
Old September 20 2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Since Dax was alive in the 23rd C, there's no reason he/she couldnt appear in a series in that era. But there would need to be more effort put into delving into what its really like for a person who has memories of others injected into their consciousness like that.

Since Dax would be too young/too few previous hosts to be interesting in the 23rd C, which is most likely where the next series would be set, maybe it should be another Trill. The Trill concept is more intersting than either Jadzia or Ezri. Dax, much more than any of its hosts, is a character who could bring something new to the next series.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 01:45 AM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

There was nothing about the Ezri Dax character that we saw on TV that makes me think she could be a starship captain. I cringe everytime I hear about Lt. Commander Ezri Dax being promoted to captain of one of the fleets most advanced ships with little to no experience.

Give me an original character with a unique background that seems fit to hold a command.
Old September 21 2012, 02:56 AM   #7
R. Star
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
There was nothing about the Ezri Dax character that we saw on TV that makes me think she could be a starship captain. I cringe everytime I hear about Lt. Commander Ezri Dax being promoted to captain of one of the fleets most advanced ships with little to no experience.

Give me an original character with a unique background that seems fit to hold a command.
To be fair if I showed you Picard as an Ensign getting impaled through the back because he picked a fight with some Nausiccans, you probably wouldn't think he's fit to hold a command either.

Ezri has a unique enough background. I'm not sure at all about the apparent "competence on" button she just hits inside the Dax symbioant but I guess it works being it's selling novels.

I'd actually find it more interesting having Bashir take command of a ship. Having a doctor be a captain would be an interesting aspect that Trek never explored beyond the very occassional single episode.
Old September 21 2012, 03:16 AM   #8
NrobbieC
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
I'd actually find it more interesting having Bashir take command of a ship. Having a doctor be a captain would be an interesting aspect that Trek never explored beyond the very occassional single episode.
So, the Adventures of Captain Beverly Picard?
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Maestro
Vice Admiral

The Ezri Dax of the relaunch novels is one of the worst Mary Sues in the history of Mary Sues.
Old September 21 2012, 05:55 AM   #10
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
To be fair if I showed you Picard as an Ensign getting impaled through the back because he picked a fight with some Nausiccans, you probably wouldn't think he's fit to hold a command either.
Janeway was willing to murder Crewman Lessing and she was promoted to Admiral, a far more serious incident IMO.
Old September 21 2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'm not meaning this as a real premise, but as an alternative to a Captain Worf series (despite his Starfleet career being pretty much dead).

It could be done with any character really: Captain Paris, Captain La Forge, Captain Molly O'Brien.
Old September 21 2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Iamnotspock
Captain

She does get more experience in the novels leading up to her command, in conjunction with the symbiont becoming more assertive; she is, after all, over three hundred years old, depending on your perspective.
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2012, 04:24 PM   #13
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
She does get more experience in the novels leading up to her command, in conjunction with the symbiont becoming more assertive; she is, after all, over three hundred years old, depending on your perspective.
She has an Old Man's worm inside her
Old September 21 2012, 05:45 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Iamnotspock wrote: View Post
She has an Old Man's worm inside her
You have no idea of the imagery that just popped into my head.
Old September 21 2012, 08:32 PM   #15
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'm not meaning this as a real premise, but as an alternative to a Captain Worf series (despite his Starfleet career being pretty much dead).

It could be done with any character really: Captain Paris, Captain La Forge, Captain Molly O'Brien.
Ya, know, I think a Captain Molly O'Brien, could actually be a really cool character. We know nothing of Grown up Molly (Not counting Savage Molly), all we can do is guess at what influence her parents would have on her. Take a little of Keiko's Bitchy Streak, have her Be A Top Notch Engineer following in Daddy's footprints and with Daddy's Military Competence and I think you could grow a really great Captain chanracter out of her. Could be similar to Janeway in some ways, but, different in others

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote