IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old November 13 2012, 09:47 PM   #436
teacock
Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
BruntFCA wrote: View Post
I loved Arik Soong, great character played brilliantly by Spiner.
I agree.

Gaith wrote: View Post

As a 21st-century Trek fan, I found that plot dismally insulting in its pedantry, and the fact that it takes place in my hometown, which is noted for its enlightened ways, is especially gross.

Guess the other stuff is okay, though.
Enlightened ways have a way of going out the window when something you identify as otherness blows the crap out of your planet.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2012, 10:46 PM   #437
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Yeah, but we only got to see the beginning. We didn't get to see the whole thing.

My understanding of the arranged marriages is that it's a matter of what's logical with them. It's logical to have a mate and to find one in the most efficient manner. The most efficient manner to them seems to be based off of a compatibility that the families in question sort out, but the two people involved get the final say. T'Pol had to agree to the marriage in the end. It wasn't forced on her like in some cultures here. That's good.

One thing I do wonder about with the reboot movie is how did Vulcan get to have a population 6 billion people. It seems like they only mate every seven years, and not every time is going to lead to pregnancy. I guess it means they mate to have children specifically or something like that, but still, 6 billion... Interesting.
Well, less children would be a given, but there's something to keep in mind, Vulcans live incredibly long lives. So I could see them getting to and maintaining a population of 6 billion... though how they survived their primitive emotional time when they were killing each other regularly if they mated every seven years is beyond me.

As for the arranged marriage? I dunno. You have one side of the coin that says Vulcans can love, they just don't express it. The other side is they "suppress and purge" all emotion and act only on logic. They two really contradict each other at times. From a purely logical standpoint, taking emotion out of the equation, I suppose it makes sense to arrange marriages from birth. But the emotions DO work their way into it from what we've seen. So that flies in the face of all logic. But I like races full of contradictions. It's not like our own doesn't have it's share.
Old November 14 2012, 12:47 AM   #438
BruntFCA
Commander

R. Star wrote: View Post
though how they survived their primitive emotional time when they were killing each other regularly if they mated every seven years is beyond me.
From what I understand mating every 7 years came as a result of purging their emotions so presumably when they were still primitive they mated as regularly as humans.
Old November 14 2012, 02:20 AM   #439
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

"Storm Front" was an okay episode. Unfortunately I found that "Home" went back to he old stories and was a real clunker, but then, it felt like the series got a major tune-up with the Soong trilogy and was really, at last, getting good episodes instead of a bunch of boring filler garbage.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 03:55 AM   #440
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ We definitely have different tastes. I liked the idea of the TCW, but they didn't seem to do much with it. Storm Front 1&2 wasn't the best way to end it in this series, imo.
----------------

Cold Station 12

Well, liar, liar. The augment that killed his brother tells the doctor it was an accident. It's sad that the other augments left the "dud" behind. I don't like the lead augment; he's too power hungry and uncaring. I don't know if it's just me, but T'Pol looks a bit too thin and tired. I can see the bones in her face and bags under her eyes, and it doesn't look good. I hope the actress was okay at the time.

Grade: C
----------

The Augments

I think the doctor had better watch out because that lead Augment is just biding his time. I think he asked the doctor an ironic question: What right does he have to tamper with their genome? Well, that's what "augments" are, tampered with human genomes. To argue that he shouldn't do this is arguing against the lead augment's very existence. Interesting. I'm with Dr. Phlox that it's sad that the doctor's skills are perhaps too great to just be wasted away in a prison cell, but he is a threat so... And there it is. Betrayed by his own children. He should have seen it coming, but at least his daughter was there for him.

Archer was terribly unconvincing, and I think even a rather dull Klingon captain should have seen through him. Why didn't he want verification from Chancellor himself if discretion was needed? I guess I just never like it when Klingon captains are portrayed as so horribly stupid... And it ends with the genesis of Data, which is nice. His skills weren't wasted after all.

Grade: C

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14 2012, 06:14 AM   #441
teacock
Admiral

I don't know if it's just me, but T'Pol looks a bit too thin and tired. I can see the bones in her face and bags under her eyes, and it doesn't look good. I hope the actress was okay at the time.
She was apparently quite sick for a good many episodes and didn't recover quickly.

Oh and I have been quite worried about something but you can't read it S/UF because it is a spoiler. So don't click on the spoiler tag below.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 14 2012, 06:18 AM   #442
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but T'Pol looks a bit too thin and tired. I can see the bones in her face and bags under her eyes, and it doesn't look good. I hope the actress was okay at the time.
She was apparently quite sick for a good many episodes and didn't recover quickly.

Oh and I have been quite worried about something but you can't read it S/UF because it is a spoiler. So don't click on the spoiler tag below.

No accounting for taste teacake!

Yeah, I'd call the Augments trilogy one of Enterprise's best hours. An engaging story, a believable villain and Archer really was finally starting to act like a strong leader. Definitely surprised S/U scored them so relatively low, but opinions are just that!
Old November 14 2012, 06:45 AM   #443
teacock
Admiral

The Augments trilogy has one of my favorite characters, the tragic Persis. Murdered by her brother and lover, used by her father whose approval she seeks.

Such foreshadowing in the bottom photo..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 14 2012, 12:28 PM   #444
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post

No accounting for taste teacake!

Yeah, I'd call the Augments trilogy one of Enterprise's best hours. An engaging story, a believable villain and Archer really was finally starting to act like a strong leader. Definitely surprised S/U scored them so relatively low, but opinions are just that!
Oh, no accounting for taste can go both ways, lol. For me, so far, the best part of this series was the last quarter of season 3, but I hope parts that are just as good or better are ahead.

I have nothing against the augment 3-parter, it's just not particularly inspiring or exciting. The story is engaging enough, and the villain was believable, but Archer, well...

I'm sorry that you are surprised, but a lot of what was happening with the augments was like watching a teen drama, and there's nothing particularly wrong with that, but there's nothing particularly special or great about that either. It works; they are around 20 years old, so okay.

One thing that was interesting, or "off" to me, about them was that other than the three top augments, everyone else faded into the background and fell in line like sheep. For people that are described as the best and the brightest as well as very driven, uber-ambitious, and violent, that seemed a little contradictory.

I liked the way that DS9 handled them, where each augment had their own perspective and their own thought process. They each needed to be heard and to participate in what was happening, and these were the "broken" augments, so it really makes me wonder about the lack of "umphf" in most of the augments seen here.

There's no arguing, no debating, no nothing for a group of "individuals" that are supposed to have better internal processes than that, even if they are "defective" because of extreme ambition, which was only really seen with 1 out of the 10 or so augments. I don't know; I just think it could have been done better, but I'm not faulting what was done for that, hence the solid C grade.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old November 14 2012, 12:34 PM   #445
teacock
Admiral

There's no arguing, no debating, no nothing for a group of "individuals" that are supposed to have better internal processes than that, even if they are "defective" because of extreme ambition, which was only really seen with 1 out of the 10 or so augments.
It's because in their hearts this lot are all Spiner-Femmes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 14 2012, 12:37 PM   #446
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ Lol.

Old November 14 2012, 10:16 PM   #447
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

The Forge

I'm so glad that Soval is helping Archer with the investigation. I wish someone would feed T'Pol. And I'm starting to feel sorry for her husband. She could at least try. She chose to marry him. It's interesting to find that her mother is a Syranite (sp?). Oh no, poor Soval. I hope nothing bad happens to him because of the meld. This episode started off slow, but it built up nicely.

Grade: B minus

Old November 15 2012, 12:22 AM   #448
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Comparing the Augments in Enterprise to the Jack Pack isn't exactly fair. Of course the Jack Pack got more individual attention, there were only four of them and they could do that. In Enterprise there were a couple dozen, so naturally they focused on the ringleaders. Spending time to focus on those background augments really would just distract from the story arc.

I'll agree with teacake about Persis being a tragic character. Nice to see that at least one of them had the capacity to be decent. And really the way she was murdered was brutally personal there. Never did understand why they all wore those torn clothes like they were uniforms, even if in the case of Persis it looked quite nice. You'd think genetically enhanced superhumans could figure out how to patch a hole if clothes were in short supply.

To the Forge? The whole story dragged, but finally got interesting enough in the end to keep you wondering what will happen next. Admiral Forrest dying kinda sucked. He was one of the few Admirals in Trek who wasn't a complete jerk. Really though, the story is dedicated to curing Evil Vulcan Syndrome.
Old November 15 2012, 12:29 AM   #449
teacock
Admiral

Comparing the Augments in Enterprise to the Jack Pack isn't exactly fair. Of course the Jack Pack got more individual attention, there were only four of them and they could do that. In Enterprise there were a couple dozen, so naturally they focused on the ringleaders. Spending time to focus on those background augments really would just distract from the story arc.
The Space Seed augments are of the same era and augment project so they are much more comparable. The Jack Pack is hundreds of years later, failed backstreet augmentation that parents thought was going to improve their kids. The Space Seed augments didn't all stand out either and they followed their leader with a greater pack goal in mind which is what the ENT augments were struggling to do. They were handicapped by being much younger and having been abandoned early on but you could see they would have been a powerful squadron of augments had they had the training that the Space Seed augments clearly had had prior to going into stasis.

I think we had quite a few ENT augments being showcased, it's not like any group of people has all of them up front with individual stories.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 15 2012, 12:35 AM   #450
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Yeah, the ENT Augments didn't have the experience that Khan's Augments had gained from the Eugenics Wars prior to their leaving Earth. And it showed pretty clearly.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote