Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 12 2012, 08:34 PM   #226
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Spook/Hoorah! Admirer wrote: View Post
Things were fine up until he wanted to push farther than she was willing to go and he went there anyway, and that was the violation. She never consented to that.
Yes, but "Stigma" makes pretty clear that all Vulcans know about the P'nar syndrome, so either Polly didn't ask if he had it or believed a denial without testing it, and was therefore rash either way.

In contemporary terms, she banged him without even employing a rubber, far less an STD test. The mind-violation was a serious offense, but it didn't occur until after she willingly initiated that encounter, even brushing aside his suggestion she might be going too fast.

The revelation of the syndrome retroactively establishes that she was way out of character to do that, which is another reason to consider "Stigma" a strong but non-canon ep.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 10:48 PM   #227
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Things were fine up until he wanted to push farther than she was willing to go and he went there anyway, and that was the violation. She never consented to that.
Yes, but "Stigma" makes pretty clear that all Vulcans know about the P'nar syndrome, so either Polly didn't ask if he had it or believed a denial without testing it, and was therefore rash either way.

In contemporary terms, she banged him without even employing a rubber, far less an STD test. The mind-violation was a serious offense, but it didn't occur until after she willingly initiated that encounter, even brushing aside his suggestion she might be going too fast.

The revelation of the syndrome retroactively establishes that she was way out of character to do that, which is another reason to consider "Stigma" a strong but non-canon ep.
Is P'Nar Syndrome communicable? I thought it was caused by the incompetence of an inexperienced Melder
, rather than melding with someone who had it?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 10:53 PM   #228
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I got bored with and didn't finish the S4 Vulcan arc, but "Stigma" made it very clear it was communicable via infected melders, yes.
Old October 12 2012, 11:18 PM   #229
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think he's the only moody captain out of the bunch
I think he's emotionally green as well as being the green captain in space.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 01:35 AM   #230
tomswift2002
Captain

Enterprise Season 1 I found was better in the books than on TV. I read the novelizations of "Broken Bow" and "Shockwave" years before I saw them on the DVD sets, and I couldn't believe the amount of garbage that was on the screen. I kept wondering how anyone could've approved the episodes.

Plus the books that take place in between the two episodes are a lot more interesting than the actual episodes. I'll take "By The Book" over "Shuttlepod One" any day!!! I would actually say that "Shuttlepod One" was the 'jumping the shark' episode for Enterprise...a whole episode about two guys being stranded in a shuttle and talking about nothing more than who has the better rear end...some one definitely took leave of their senses.

Pilot wise, I would say that Enterprise was in last spot.
tomswift2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 03:35 AM   #231
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ I don't know. It's not so bad right now, but Shuttlepod One definitely isn't on my rewatch list, lol.

I guess it's nice that you gave her a nickname, but I suspect dear "Polly" didn't want that cracker her attacker pushed off on her. She didn't bang him because that requires a more active participation than the tentative and apprehensive one that I saw.

Any by your logic, anything that happens after an initial agreement to something totally different makes what wasn't agreed to okay? There's something wrong with that.

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Is P'Nar Syndrome communicable? I thought it was caused by the incompetence of an inexperienced Melder
, rather than melding with someone who had it?
Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. After all, Spock mind-melded many times and never infected anyone. But, then he was able to control himself and wouldn't hurt anyone for his own selfish pleasure.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Aaand onward.

Cease Fire

It's the Andorians again, and they are still fighting the Vulcans on some planet that resides on the border between their areas of space. Right off, I think they should just split the terrirory of the planet down the middle, but Archer is called in to help. Trip did a very nice job as acting captain. It's too bad that there were Andorians that would rather fight and die than talk it out. Overall, this was one of the better episodes this season.

Grade: B
---------------

Future Tense

I'm not sure exactly what this was about. We never know for sure what was going on with that ship or the supposed beacon. We never get to see the Tholians. We don't know how any of this will affect future episodes. So, all I can say is that it was interesting.

Grade: B minus

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 06:04 AM   #232
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Cease Fire... more Evil Vulcans and Andorians. And playing devil's advocate splitting the planet won't work... it rotates and the Andorian side may face Vulcan space half of the time! We can't have that. Shran's always fun and the Enterprise Vulcans just make me understand why the Romulans left. It's a good episode though overall though. Really Archer confuses me at times. It's firmly established that Earth and Vulcan are closely affiliated, even if not formally allied. I get that Archer plainly -likes- Shran more than Soval, but he really goes out of his way to alienate the Vulcans in favor of the Andorians time and again. I'm surprised Forest or someone else hasn't fired him over it once the political pressure starts getting applied.

Future Tense... another cliche time travel episode. Though at least they broke the cliche super powerful Vulcan ship always being nearby to save the day trend. And the Tholians are one of the true -alien- species in every respect of the world instead of just humans with funny foreheads/ears/etc. You'll get to see one later on eventually... though this episode has nothing to do with it. The Vulcan/human child joke was funny and probably the best moment of this episode.
Old October 20 2012, 06:36 AM   #233
teacake
Admiral

Yes Tholians are from TOS.

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Soval

My biggest ENT crush.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 06:48 AM   #234
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Cease Fire... more Evil Vulcans and Andorians. And playing devil's advocate splitting the planet won't work... it rotates and the Andorian side may face Vulcan space half of the time! We can't have that.
You've got me there. Planets do spin.

Shran's always fun and the Enterprise Vulcans just make me understand why the Romulans left. It's a good episode though overall though. Really Archer confuses me at times. It's firmly established that Earth and Vulcan are closely affiliated, even if not formally allied. I get that Archer plainly -likes- Shran more than Soval, but he really goes out of his way to alienate the Vulcans in favor of the Andorians time and again. I'm surprised Forest or someone else hasn't fired him over it once the political pressure starts getting applied.

Future Tense... another cliche time travel episode. Though at least they broke the cliche super powerful Vulcan ship always being nearby to save the day trend. And the Tholians are one of the true -alien- species in every respect of the world instead of just humans with funny foreheads/ears/etc. You'll get to see one later on eventually... though this episode has nothing to do with it. The Vulcan/human child joke was funny and probably the best moment of this episode.
I think he kind of favors the Andorians a bit because he's not that fond of Vulcans (T'Pol being the exception) himself. It's nice to know that Tholians will make an appearance.

teacock wrote: View Post
Yes Tholians are from TOS.

Soval

My biggest ENT crush.
Oh, well I can't recall ever seeing them in the episodes I sometimes watched, so I guess I never saw that/those episode(s).

Soval. He did make me laugh when he says the Andorians must have been pleased with Archer's negotiating skills and he looks at his aide, signaling an addition to the point. I think he's the most naturally expressive Vulcan I've seen.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old October 20 2012, 06:51 AM   #235
teacake
Admiral

Soval's role develops.

But meanwhile, even undeveloped, he is gorgeous.

I had him as my avatar for a few years.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 07:44 AM   #236
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Nice pictures.

Old October 20 2012, 07:51 AM   #237
teacake
Admiral

That man is very blood warming for a guy who is cool to the touch.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 10:15 AM   #238
lurok
Commodore

I liked Future Tense as one of those 'Trek eps that has fun stuff in it but nothing really interesting happens'. So: the Tardis joke, the vulcan/human reference, the temporal loop, and unseen Tholians (like the unseen Romulans - both of whom eventually show up).
Old October 20 2012, 10:24 AM   #239
teacake
Admiral

I like it a whole lot better than Cease Fire. For some reason I always fond Cease Fire rather dull. I love when they first open the ship in Future Tense, LOL

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 02:55 PM   #240
Gaith
Rear Admiral

I guess it's nice that you gave her a nickname
Wasn't me!

Tucker: Look, Polly...I owe you an apology.
T'Pol: For trying to kill me back on that planet?
Tucker: Nope.
T'Pol: For putting the dog at my duty station and calling him T'Porthos?
Tucker: Nope.
T'Pol: For calling me Polly a minute ago?

Any by your logic, anything that happens after an initial agreement to something totally different makes what wasn't agreed to okay?
Huh? I never defended the rapist dude one bit. I just said that his crime doesn't change the fact that, by what we learn in "Stigma", Polly was irresponsible with regards to her own health by willingly engaging, before the encounter turned ugly, in a potentially dangerous act without getting him screened.

Again, by what we learn in "Stigma", she would have contracted the disease even if the meld had ended in mutually enjoyable fashion.