Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old September 17 2012, 05:25 AM   #166
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

I've exhausted my ANIS commentary so I will just say that Dead Stop was a decent sci fi episode.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2012, 10:39 AM   #167
lurok
Commodore

I loved the production design of Dead Stop - first time we had some 2001-ish look in trek for years - and Roxann's voice as HAL-ish computer. And not terrible ep, nice breather after Minefield. But ending sucked. Big time. Apart from coda, which was kinda cute.
Old September 17 2012, 10:38 PM   #168
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dead Stop was a fun episode and something certainly different. The concept, while a bit extravagent is unique.

A Night in Sickbay... Archer shows how inept he is. A dog is more important than diplomatic first contact with an alien race... yeah. Good call.
Old September 19 2012, 02:11 AM   #169
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ I agree.

Marauders

I applaud what this episode was supposed to accomplish dramatically, but it just didn’t get there for me. My only question is when they moved everything, wouldn't the Klingon ship be able to detect that the longitude and lattitude of their location was a little different? I mean, if they're being beamed down, that has to be to a specific set of coordinates, right? If they were beamed to the same coordinates as before, then things would have looked different because everything moved. I don't know if I missed something or not. It's just odd that their first indication that something was off was that the pumps were silent.

Grade: C minus
---------------

The Seventh

Archer gets on my nerves. T'Pol, as a courtesy, tells him that he's going to be contacted by his Admiral. He then presses her for details beyond what he knows he's supposed to know (at least from her), because if the Admiral isn't going to tell you, then it's probably not information you absolutely need to know. I honestly think that Archer lets his emotions govern his way of doing things way too much, and it sometimes is the cause of poor decision making or, in this case, placing his first officer in a very uncomfortable and unfair position of having to choose sides when that's not necessary. She could have been instructed not to give out classified information, like in the past, but Archer wouldn't care about that because he feels like he should know, like in the past. I can understand not liking being left out of the loop, especially when you're the Captain of the ship that's being relied upon, but then go through the appropriate channels for that; don't abuse your science officer by placing her in positions where you're pressing her to violate orders she's been given by her other superiors. At least she held her own and didn't budge one bit, at first...

Oh, and then there was the rest of the episode...

Grade: D plus

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:23 AM   #170
Delsaber
Commodore

Minefield/Dead Stop were a really, really fun pair. Oh, how enthusiastic I was after those two! And how loooong of a drag it was until the show reached those heights again. Cogenitor, maybe? First Flight? That second season, man... not an easy slog.
Old September 19 2012, 02:26 AM   #171
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Delsaber wrote: View Post
Minefield/Dead Stop were a really, really fun pair. Oh, how enthusiastic I was after those two! And how loooong of a drag it was until the show reached those heights again. Cogenitor, maybe? First Flight? That second season, man... not an easy slog.
Oh no, don't say that!

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 02:38 AM   #172
Delsaber
Commodore

You can't hear me, but I'm whistling innocently right now.

Never fear, I'm sure your mileage may vary. A lot of people liked The Seventh and Vanishing Point a lot more than I did. Plus I forgot all about Future Tense, which was excellent.

Someday I'll go back and see how well this stuff holds up. Kinda going by memory here. Hard to believe it's almost been ten years now...
Old September 19 2012, 03:00 AM   #173
teacake
Admiral

What I liked about the Seventh was it gives us a very different Vulcan to think about.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 03:07 AM   #174
BruntFCA
Commander

Why was Marauders made? Did we really need this story told in the trekverse? It's episodes like this that make it hard to defend ENT.
Old September 19 2012, 03:11 AM   #175
teacake
Admiral

It was made so we could all agree on this sentiment..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 03:14 AM   #176
Delsaber
Commodore

Marauders was the most... flat, for the lack of a better term, that I've ever felt after an episode. It was like I turned on my TV at 8PM, was abducted by those missing-time lizard aliens that took Riker in TNG's Schisms, and then spat back out into the real world at 9PM like nothing had happened.

It's a shame, too; by all rights, Kurosawa plots should fit in just fine with Star Trek, specifically TOS or pre-TOS Star Trek. Not the biggest missed opportunity the franchise has committed over the years, but still pretty baffling.
Old September 19 2012, 03:16 AM   #177
teacake
Admiral

uhh.. I liked the encampment. It was a pretty cool portable village in the desert.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 03:57 AM   #178
BruntFCA
Commander

My problem with Marauders wasn't the execution but the fact that the story has been told so many times and ENT didn't even try to give it a twist or something to make it more interesting. It's like they had a deadline and one of the writers was watching 7 Samurai, The Magnificent Seven, A Bug's Life, ect and just said "screw it" and threw this together.

The first time I watched ENT was a few years ago over a couple months on DVD so when I would finish an episode like this I would just roll my eyes and move on to the next one but if I was watching while the show was airing I coud see myself wondering "is this really all they could come up with"? and no longer tuning in. Luckily with DVD their was an end in sight so I pushed through the first 2 mediocre seasons and got to the awesomeness that is seasons 3 & 4.

Last edited by BruntFCA; September 19 2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Grammar
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2012, 04:06 AM   #179
teacake
Admiral

Some stories have to be done very very well or with some incredible twist to ever be told again. That didn't happen this time. Still, lots of Trip.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old September 19 2012, 09:08 AM   #180
R. Star
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
It was made so we could all agree on this sentiment..

Paris threatening to eat this kid always makes me laugh for some reason. It's not even cannibalism. It's an alien brat.