Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 25 2012, 03:45 PM   #61
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

Harvey wrote: View Post
Everyone is too old for a sequel to the original.
And much of today's audience wasn't even born when the original came out, over two decades ago. And, as much as it's fondly remembered in certain circles, the first movie failed at the box office. So this really isn't a case of "if it's not broke . . . ." It broke the first time out, twenty-plus years ago.

So, yeah, Disney can be forgiven for not wanting to do a sequel to a flop from over twenty years ago!

Starting over is the only sensible plan.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 25 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 04:10 PM   #62
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
If its still a period piece where he is involved with and battling Nazi's I am all for a reboot of this property. Anything else and I am out.
When does fighting Nazis ever get old? If it has the mob and the Feds settling their differences for a minute and going after Nazi paratroopers with tommy guns, all the better.
Old August 25 2012, 06:06 PM   #63
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

I remember seeing the original in the theater when was 12. As long as this is faithful to spirit of the original I am very excited. As other have said a period tribute to old pulps and movies.

It appears a lot of people who grew up as fans are working at Disney now. The revamped California Adventure has a few small references to the movie. Buena Vista Street is themed to 1920's and 1930s Los Angeles. There are posters for the air show the Rocketeer first appeared at and the South Sea club. There is a line of Mail boxes. One is labeled A. Peabody, Peevy's real name. Also in a shop there is a group of mannequins. One is of a man wearing exactly the same type of leather jacket the Rocketeer did.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 06:56 PM   #64
Christopher
Writer

^Which could explain the interest in rebooting the property. I imagine that's also why it's been revived at IDW -- people who were fans of the original comic are now running comics companies.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 07:07 PM   #65
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Which could explain the interest in rebooting the property. I imagine that's also why it's been revived at IDW -- people who were fans of the original comic are now running comics companies.
That's often the case. Fans grow up, get in positions of power, and bring back their nostalgic favorites.

Expect the $500 million remake of FIREFLY about twenty years from now . . . .
Old August 25 2012, 07:10 PM   #66
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ F*ck that, it better be a continuation!!!!!!
Old August 25 2012, 07:14 PM   #67
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post

Exactly. On Disney forums, fans have been hoping for years for a Rocketeer ride to be added to that park. Based on it perfectly fitting the new theming.

I love the movie but until recently I was doubtful it would ever happen. Because the movie was not a success financially. But now that Buena Vista Street opened in June those tributes have been revealed. Plus the new comics. But particularly this report of Disney being interested in a new movie. Its very possible a Rocketeer ride would be created if the new movie is popular.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 11:16 PM   #68
The Badger
Fleet Captain

Gaith wrote: View Post
... That said, in the interests of creativity, I would like to present a motion that the rocketeer be a dame this time around. (The Bettie Page-esque love interest can stay.)
http://www.dieselpunks.org/group/fas...female-cosplay

She'll risk some serious burns flying like that.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 12:19 AM   #69
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

The Rocketeer was a fun little movie but it had its flaws too. I certainly don't think there's any harm in a new version, and potentially a lot of good could come of it. And if it's awful, well, that hardly means the original is any less fun.

(Talking of Disney movies of that era that are ripe for a remake, how about Dick Tracy? I actually really liked the 90s film for what it was, but would love a remake.)
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 12:45 AM   #70
Christopher
Writer

The Warren Beatty Dick Tracy didn't quite work for me. I'm not really much of a fan of Dick Tracy, but I think a good way to revive it would be Batman: The Animated Series style, as a stylized but gritty animated production, faithful to the look and feel of the original strips. DT's balance of cartoony, exaggerated elements and serious, violent crime drama would work better in that format than in live action.

Old August 26 2012, 12:47 AM   #71
jbny67
Commander

Holdfast wrote: View Post
(Talking of Disney movies of that era that are ripe for a remake, how about Dick Tracy? I actually really liked the 90s film for what it was, but would love a remake.)
It won't happen unless Warren Beatty gives up the rights.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 01:25 AM   #72
Christopher
Writer

^Couldn't Beatty just be an executive producer on a film made by someone else? That's how it's often done where film rights are concerned. For instance, every Batman movie in the past quarter-century, not just the live-action Burton, Schumacher, and Nolan films but every animated theatrical or direct-to-DVD movie that's been made from Mask of the Phantasm through the upcoming Dark Knight Returns adaptation, credits Benjamin Melniker and Michael Uslan as executive producers, not because they're the ones making the movies, but simply because they're the ones who own the motion picture rights to Batman, so anyone else who wants to make a Batman movie has to do it with their permission and cooperation.

Old August 26 2012, 01:30 AM   #73
Holdfast

jbny67 wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
It won't happen unless Warren Beatty gives up the rights.
I didn't realise he owned them.

I liked his movie: the sets, the costumes, the songs, the cast; they're all great. But the story wasn't quite as good as it good have been. Christopher suggests an animated series would do it justice, but I prefer live action to animation and think that the kind of stylised violence DT needs would be much more appreciated by current movie audiences than their early 90s equivalents.
Old August 26 2012, 01:39 AM   #74
Christopher
Writer

^Well, I meant an animated movie; I just used B:TAS as an example of how an animated production can be highly cartoony in design while also being serious, gritty, and noir in content.

Old August 26 2012, 01:46 AM   #75
Holdfast

^ Oh, I see. I thought you meant an animated TV series instead of a live-action movie. Yeah, I can imagine an animated movie working well, I guess. But I still tend to prefer live action to animation, and would love to see a modern interpretation. So much was right about the 90s version; it would be great to see a really solid story with more stylised & serious action scenes supporting the story.