CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 5 2012, 03:19 AM   #31
emergencyfruit
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View emergencyfruit's Twitter Profile
Re: This Side of Paradise question (spoiler)

Oh my...

Thanks for the diversity of opinions, everyone! To be clear, I know that no offense was intended, and none was taken. It's suprising sometimes what different forums expect from participants, and while I knew it was probably unnecessary, I wanted to err on the safe side rather than risk getting blacklisted (redshirted?) on my very first thread.

I am myself relatively new to Trek, and am currently finishing up the third season of TOS for the first time, and while I have the sense not to click on a thread discussing an episode I've not yet seen, let's not forget that curiosity in the face of danger was central to the Enterprise's mission. Despite the passage of 40-odd years, people like me stumble into the strange and wonderful world of Trek all the time, and sometimes we can't resist wanting to share the excitement, even though we've barely gotten our feet wet. So if this really gets under anyone's skin, just consider the tag a shout-out to all those new initiates, past, present, and future.
emergencyfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 03:44 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

You know, way back in the eighties, I caught a college showing of PSYCHO. As the movie neared its conclusion, I was shocked to realize that several members of the audience didn't realize (52-YEAR-OLD SPOILER ALERT!) that Norman was the killer and that there wasn't really a crazy knife-wielding old lady in the basement . . . .

So I guess you can't always assume that everybody is familiar with even the most classic movies!
Old September 5 2012, 05:55 AM   #33
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

emergencyfruit wrote: View Post
Oh my...

Thanks for the diversity of opinions, everyone! To be clear, I know that no offense was intended, and none was taken. It's suprising sometimes what different forums expect from participants, and while I knew it was probably unnecessary, I wanted to err on the safe side rather than risk getting blacklisted (redshirted?) on my very first thread.

I am myself relatively new to Trek, and am currently finishing up the third season of TOS for the first time, and while I have the sense not to click on a thread discussing an episode I've not yet seen, let's not forget that curiosity in the face of danger was central to the Enterprise's mission. Despite the passage of 40-odd years, people like me stumble into the strange and wonderful world of Trek all the time, and sometimes we can't resist wanting to share the excitement, even though we've barely gotten our feet wet. So if this really gets under anyone's skin, just consider the tag a shout-out to all those new initiates, past, present, and future.
Not wanting to be "spoiled" is why I stay out of most of the TrekLit threads. I haven't read most of the novels that were published during the past 15 years simply because I couldn't afford them. I'm concentrating on my Classic Trek fanzine collecting these days, so I'm still not ready for the TrekLit novel-specific threads. Someday, sure. But until then, I'd rather not know every plot twist and ending.

And people can jump into new fandoms at any age, so here's a from one older fan to one younger fan (in terms of "fan years")! I got into Star Trek in 1975, at age 12. Welcome to the wonderful multiverse of Star Trek!

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
You know, way back in the eighties, I caught a college showing of PSYCHO. As the movie neared its conclusion, I was shocked to realize that several members of the audience didn't realize (52-YEAR-OLD SPOILER ALERT!) that Norman was the killer and that there wasn't really a crazy knife-wielding old lady in the basement . . . .

So I guess you can't always assume that everybody is familiar with even the most classic movies!
I rarely watch movies anymore, even on TV, and have never seen any version of "Psycho". Yet I've always known this. It's part of the popular culture, as something it's almost impossible not to know. OTOH, I have no idea what you mean by an old lady in the basement (and never will, since I still have no wish to see that movie).

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2012, 03:03 PM   #34
Putting the F-U Back in FUN!

Well, this thread took an interesting turn!

Officially, spoiler tags are not necessary when discussing the show here. If you want to use them as a courtesy, well there's nothing wrong with that I suppose.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote