Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 28 2010, 09:02 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

'I'm.Mortal' by dir. Andrew Niccol - rumors, stills,until 2012 release

on-set photos
Our first glance at the enigma that is Andrew Niccol’s untitled sci-fi thriller about a world in which no one lives past 25, except for those that can afford to pay for that precious extra time (and the film that inspired a serious bout of jealousy in one of my coworkers). Despite the lack of a title, filming has begun and ComingSoon.net nabbed a few photos of stars Amanda Seyfried (in a very red wig; hey there, Mary Jane Watson wannabe) and Justin Timberlake looking good as always in a finely tailored suit.
In the film, Timberlake plays kidnapper to Seyfried’s rich, spoiled brat (although, can she really complain? I'd let JustinTimberlake kidnap me any day). The untitled project boasts an ensemble of young, attractive people (as is appropriate for a world where everyone doesn’t age past 25) including Olivia Wilde, Johnny Galeki, Cillian Murphy, and Vincent Kartheiser.
Oct.28, 2010
Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried Spotted On The Set Of Sci-Fi Thriller

imdb.com listing:
I'm.Mortal (2012)

storyline:
In the not-too-distant future the aging gene has been switched off. To avoid overpopulation, time has become the currency and the way people pay for luxuries and necessities. The rich can live forever, while the rest try to negotiate for their immortality. A poor young man who comes into a fortune of time, though too late to help his mother from dying. He ends up on the run from a corrupt police force known as 'time keepers'. Written by THR Heat Vision
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

title change

has been changed to the overly generic “Now”.
3 new on-set behind the scenes photos also here.
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/new-i...w-sci-fi-film/
Old November 1 2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: 'I'm.Mortal' by dir. Andrew Niccol - rumors, stills,until 2012 rel

Meh, I liked this better..

...34 years ago, when it was called Logan's Run.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1 2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Yeah it's basically Logan's Run but the obsession with youth and age is endlessly good fodder for Hollywood films mostly because for Holllywood it's entirely true. This really is the sort of concept that lends itself to repetition given he industry.

That said:
The untitled project boasts an ensemble of young, attractive people (as is appropriate for a world where everyone doesn’t age past 25)
How is it appropriate for a world were people don't age that everyone is attractive? Did they cure ugliness too?

Oh right, Hollywood.
Old November 24 2010, 04:01 PM   #5
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

'Now' script plot spoilers

reading a huge chunk of the script left me even more excited to see the finished product.
91 freaking script pages, or enough to get a really good sense of what the film is like. The same caveats apply as last time: We're pretty sure it's genuine, but not 100 percent sure. We haven't read the entire script. The script may have changed before, and during, filming. (Edited to add: and some of the pages are actually two different versions of the same scene, from different script drafts.)
We've read a huge chunk of the juicy, twisty script. Spoilers ahead.
http://io9.com/5695909/first-inside-...-andrew-niccol
Old November 24 2010, 08:30 PM   #6
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post

Hell, I liked it better thirteen years ago, when it was called Gattaca and made by the same guy.

That said, of course I'll watch this. Between the Truman Show and Gattaca, Andrew Niccol is probably the best science fiction screenwriter in the world, and Gattaca and Lord of War (and, to a lesser degree, S1m0ne), showed that he's a hell of a director.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 10:48 PM   #7
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

The movie, now called "In Time", has an "extended" trailer now:

http://www.slashfilm.com/in-time-extended-trailer-starring-justin-timberlake-amanda-seyfried/

I like it! How fitting that this would come out on my 26th birthday!

Last edited by AvBaur; July 25 2011 at 10:28 AM.
AvBaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2011, 11:51 PM   #8
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
The movie, now called "In Time", has an "extended" trailer now:

http://www.slashfilm.com/15-learned-...iderman-panel/

I like it! How fitting that this would come out on my 26th birthday!
I think you may've slung the wrong web, kemosabe.

Old July 25 2011, 07:31 AM   #9
AvBaur
Captain

^ Whoops - wrong link. Changed it.
Old July 25 2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^ Whoops - wrong link. Changed it.
Well, you changed the text, but not the link itself...

But close enough.

Okay, it looks super fucking cool, as I would expect an Andrew Niccol movie to look, and has a classic Niccol premise--totally preposterous as an exercise in world building, but a potent combination of propagandist scaremongering, expressionist science fiction, and social allegory. I don't mean that as bad thing. It looks like I'll react to it much as I did Gattaca, where I can adore the craft, and adore the movie, and hate everything it stands for.

Old July 25 2011, 10:31 AM   #11
AvBaur
Captain

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Damn. The forum software does weird things sometimes...

Anyway, I changed it again & it should work now. Also, here's a direct link to the video: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/07/21/...-panel-footage
Old July 25 2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Damn. The forum software does weird things sometimes...

Anyway, I changed it again & it should work now. Also, here's a direct link to the video: http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/07/21/...-panel-footage
Don't sweat it, I've done it like fifty times.

Old July 25 2011, 09:08 PM   #13
Ometiklan
Commander

...totally preposterous as an exercise in world building, but a potent combination of propagandist scaremongering, expressionist science fiction, and social allegory...
Do you mean this about Gattaca?

And what do you mean by "propagandist scaremongering"? It's not like these are campaign commercials or press conferences.

Just wondering what you meant.

I think "In Time" looks really interesting. Hopefully the trailer reflects the actual quality of the movie.
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Ometiklan wrote: View Post
...totally preposterous as an exercise in world building, but a potent combination of propagandist scaremongering, expressionist science fiction, and social allegory...
Do you mean this about Gattaca?

And what do you mean by "propagandist scaremongering"? It's not like these are campaign commercials or press conferences.
Gattaca, while a very fine film, is an alarmist reaction to the likelihood of genetic technology applied to reproduction. What the film wants you to believe is that this is a terrible or at least a very frightening thing, and it warps any sense that the world of Gattaca may have otherwise made around its ideological conviction that genetic technologies are harmful to the social fabric.

Firstly, it posits an economic system that only accepts Valids--those with genes highly aligned toward intelligence, discipline, etc--which is built upon a sophisticated, easy-to-use DNA-reading system.

I'm pretty sure Vincent Freeman's brain, body, and ambition didn't come out of nowhere, despite the protests of the film to the contrary, and given the method by which the genetic supermen are actually born (simple embryo selection), they cannot actually tell and could not be expected to care whether your parents paid to have you selected from a group of competitive embryos, or if you, naturally, by pure luck, developed cognitive abilities and discipline like Vincent Freeman.

Secondly, the entitlement complex of the main character (he's us!) is beyond all measure. He has a major heart condition and is defrauding his way into a position where people are relying on his good health for the safety of their own lives. We do not let people with serious heart conditions be astronauts now, and we have a good reason for this. Interestingly, the film (possibly accidentally) lets it known that a heart condition is not a bar to employment at Gattaca itself (because Irene has a heart condition too!), it's just a bar to being a Gattaca astronaut! What is this guy's deal? Why am I supposed to like him?

Thirdly, the movie is a huge "fuck you" to janitors and the world's other Borgnines, basically calling them losers, while Freeman is just a disenfranchised winner. I don't blame Niccol for this, we're so deep in classism as a culture that this is actually forgiveable, as I'm certain it wasn't really intentional.

And finally, I'd be willing to accept the film as a lot more ambiguous than a propaganda piece, were it not for some of the cut material where its bias is completely naked--specifically, the little montage of famous awesome people who had major genetic disorders (which usually caused them a great deal of pain, natch) is so blunt-force trauma that it's easy to see why it was cut from the major release.

Anyway, the real protagonist of Gattaca? Eugene Morrow. Shit, that guy is sad.

Now, In Time is gonna be another story about how when humans exceed the limits of human biology, humans become humongous assholes by default. But despite this, it will be great.

Old July 26 2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Okay, it looks super fucking cool, as I would expect an Andrew Niccol movie to look
The actual visual of the film is pretty drab, I thought. I know that's not what you mean, but aesthetically it's not as interesting as - to make hopefully a fair comparsion - Gattaca. This looks more like 'generic present day thriller WITH TWIST' than any kind of near future.

I liked Gattaca and The Truman Show well enough, and this looks alright. Cillian Murphy is of course an excellent actor, and I've been liking Amanda Seyfried in Big Love as I've trawled through that program; of the lead actor I know very little, aber, but he has that generic leading man look down pat.

Firstly, it posits an economic system that only accepts Valids--those with genes highly aligned toward intelligence, discipline, etc--which is built upon a sophisticated, easy-to-use DNA-reading system.
I'm not so sure.

The genetic modification gives seemingly concrete scientific basis for believing some people are basically superior. There's no way that wouldn't permeate society in unsettling ways, although how exactly that'd work is perhaps more contentious.

I mean, the capacity for people to go to great lengths to hire people not based strictly on aptitude but whether or not they fit certain tribal requirements - race, religion, gender, ethnicity, politics - is kind of obvious and persistent and, in its variegated permutations, a wonderfully, nastily widespread example of human clannishness.

And here's the ultimate clique. The elite. The superior by the writ of Objective Truth. They can get to be bigots and they can do it with wonderful dispassionate reason and higher learning. The kids of those who can afford genetic modification - i.e., not your jaintor's children - can be made superior, and then the rich kids for whom science has made the class divide a meritocratic 'fact' can recruit exclusively among their own.

Not that I'm defending the plausibility of the film overall, though.

I mean, a space program? Who the hell thinks that's in our near future anymore?

Thirdly, the movie is a huge "fuck you" to janitors and the world's other Borgnines, basically calling them losers, while Freeman is just a disenfranchised winner. I don't blame Niccol for this, we're so deep in classism as a culture that this is actually forgiveable, as I'm certain it wasn't really intentional.
Indeed, but in fairness to that film - and In Time, it looks like - the science fiction conceit - be it genetics or time - is a pretty obvious stand in for a real arbitary dividing line among human beings: Money. Some people are loaded, and they get to have the big houses and the fancy soirees and the sling of female relatives who all have exactly the same hair for some reason.

Of course, the answer in Gattaca - and apparently In Time - is not to criticize the state of those who are the underclass, but to try and become the upper class. It is I suppose a very American take, but this is just an uneducated guess on my part.