RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,656
Members: 24,812
Currently online: 575
Newest member: JamesTKolkSB118

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 10 2014, 11:08 PM   #1351
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Re: What are you reading?

New Scientist Magazine
Old July 11 2014, 01:32 AM   #1352
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I finished The Indigo Spell today. Up next, The Fiery Heart by Richelle Mead. I am due to get Four (Divergent) tomorrow, so I might take a break to read it.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!

Last edited by C. Cole-Chakotay; July 11 2014 at 08:22 PM.
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 09:59 AM   #1353
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I just got the ebook edition of Gigantic Worlds, an anthology of "flash" Science Fiction, which was a Kickstarter that I supported. There's a print edition and a bonus anthology on the way.
Old July 12 2014, 08:42 PM   #1354
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Finished This is How You Loser Her by Junot Diaz last night. That's two books in less then a week, I'm on a role. I was introduced to Junot Diaz a few years ago by a friend with The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. They handed me the book and told me to read it and I loved that book. So I was excited when I saw that he wrote another book and bought it right away. It has sat unread on my iPad since and I'm glad that I rectified that situation.

I love the way Junot Diaz writes, very short on detailed descriptions but such a conversation style it feels like he's sitting next to you telling these stories. Spanish is used quite a bit in it, so I often had to stop and translate it. My Spanish is limited but it didn't distract or ruin the experience. There were parts where it felt he was describing parts of my life, so felt a little kinship with him. Being written by Diaz there are several science fiction references throughout out the book but the best one for me was the Dune reference he used.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 02:50 AM   #1355
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I finished The Fiery Heart and have started reading Four: A Divergent Collection by Veronica Roth.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2014, 03:07 AM   #1356
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

In The Heart of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick
Old July 14 2014, 01:55 AM   #1357
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

I have finished A Feathered River Across the Sky: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction. It was a very good book but I think the author includedtoo many grisly details after grisly details. Though I can understand how it is neccessary to descibe the cruelty I think the author took it too far.

I am now listening to Sherlock Holmes and the Seven Deadly Sins Murders by Barry Day, narrated by David Ian Davies.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2014, 04:09 PM   #1358
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Candlelight for Rebecca. Goes with Rebecca Rubin, one of the American Girl dolls.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 12:41 AM   #1359
Miss Chicken

i have finished the Sherlock Holmes pastiche I mentioned above. it was quite good and well narrated, I plan to read/listen to more books in the series.

i have started on The Happy Atheist by PZ Myers, narrated by Aron Ra.
Old July 15 2014, 02:47 AM   #1360
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Hammered by Keith Hearne
Old July 15 2014, 04:15 AM   #1361
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Just finished The Toughest Indian In The World by Sherman Alexie. While speaking to TSQ about the author and the novel I read of his previously, Lone Ranger And Tonto Fistfight in Heaven. I realized I purchased this book a long time ago and it was in my collect of book boxes down in the basement. I have a ton of books still sitting in boxes because I don't have shelf space for them, a lot unread. I went down and I found it and it looks brand new.

I loved this novel even more then the other one. This is one of those books that you wished never ended. Most of the stories are too short, I wish they were fleshed out into their own books.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2014, 03:00 AM   #1362
Miss Chicken

I am now listening to Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child, narrated by John Glover.
Old July 18 2014, 09:53 AM   #1363
Miss Chicken

I have finished Gideon's Sword and it is probably the least liked book by Preston and Child I have read so far.

I am now listening to A Cruel Bird Came to the Nest and Looked In by Magnus Mills, narrated by Peter Kenny.
Old July 26 2014, 06:31 AM   #1364
Miss Chicken

Isn't anyone reading anything at the moment?

I don't like making three posts in a row but they are separated by several days.

I finished A Cruel Bird Came to the Nest and Looked In. I thought it was a very sweet story though it had quite a dark side to it.

Since then I have listened to -

Cinderella Girl by Carin Gerhardsen, narrated by Candida Gubbins - quite a good Swedish murder mystery.

64) The Last Stair into Darkness by Cliff Barlow, narrated by Chandra Skyye. A collection of short horror stories that weren't really frightening to me. I didn't like the narration much.

Of a Boy by Sonya Hartnett, narrated by Humphrey Bower (a narrator i really like). Published under the title What the Birds See in the UK and US. A very sad and moving story about a quiet and fearful little boy, Adrian, growing up in Australia in 1977. His mother cannot care for him, his father doesn't want him and so he is living with his grandmother who thinks she is too old and worn to even look after a well-behaved boy as he is. He is living only 20 minutes from the place that three children (the Metford children) have disappeared. Adrian's family and others around him are very concerned about what has happened to the missing kids. This is a vey sad story and I cried many times while reading it. It is also beautifully written.

This was my 75th book for the year.

Now I am listening to The Untold History of the Potato by John Reader, narrated by Martin Hyder. quite interesting so far. 4 chapters in and the potato still hasn't left the pre-Columbian Americas.

My shoulder is less painful than it has been for months. I hope that this means I have finished the really painful freezing stage and I am entering the less painful frozen stage. Maybe in a week or two I will be back to reading printed books.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 26 2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old July 26 2014, 10:20 AM   #1365
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ That's good. I was wondering how you were doing.

I was reading the Gigantic Worlds anthology (the ebook-- I'm still waiting for the print copy and the bonus book), and I was enjoying it but not being blown away by it. I am now beta reading another novel by one of my friends. It takes place in a far future universe where Earth is quarantined and uninhabited because of a devastating nanotech disaster in the distant past-- or at least it's supposed to be uninhabited.