Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie

People’s Choice Award Nominations

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 6 2014, 11:01 AM   #1336
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: What are you reading?

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Just starting Echo, by Jack McDevitt, bought it couple of weeks ago.

I really like the universe he's built and am looking forward to this story.

I love Jack McDevitt, and I love both the Alex Benedict and Priscilla Hutchins series. He can't churn 'em out fast enough for me.

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind suggestions for other good classic sci-fi. I tend to like sci-fi set on Earth or else dealing with the explorations of strange planets. I don't like the space battle sort of sci-fi. I don't need any suggestions of novels by Philip K Dick, Philip Jose Farmer, John Wyndham, Isaac Asimov or HG Wells as I have read those authors heavily in the past.
How about Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke? That's set on Earth, and you also get some strange planet stuff toward the end. Rendezvous With Rama by Clarke involves the exploration of a strange artificial world. Friday by Robert Heinlein is set on Earth, but it's a future Earth where society has changed rather dramatically. Job by Heinlein is set on Earth, but involves bouncing around to alternate Earths. William Gibson's novels (e.g. Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive)) are all set on Earth in a protoypical near-future Cyberpunk world. The above-mentioned Jack McDevitt's books often involve explorations on strange worlds, especially the Priscilla Hutchins novels.
Old July 6 2014, 11:29 AM   #1337
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Ghost07 wrote: View Post
I just read Unintended Consequences, by Marti Green, on my kindle...Wow! What a great thriller! It's concerns the Help Innocent Prisoners Project. and was only a buck ninety-nine.

I highly recommend it for everyone; especially if you go books about the law. Very suspense-filled; the...I couldn't put it down kind.
I am about 3/4 through listening to Unintended Consequences and I think it is really good story so far. Thanks for recommending it. I am not that keen on the narrator (Tanya Eby).

I'm glad you like it; and even happier you told me you tried it...

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2014, 11:38 AM   #1338
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Thanks for the suggestions. I have written them all down but some aren't available on Audible. Rendezvous with Rama was already on my wishlist and it will probably be my next sci-fi read.

I have added Neuromancer to my wist list. Except for Stranger in a Strange Land I haven't enjoyed Heinlein all that much but I haven't read the two you suggested. I have added The Engine of God by McDevitt to my Audible wishlist.

Childhood's End isn't on Audible which surprised me. I might try it as a Kindle book later on.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 01:51 AM   #1339
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Hexed by Kevin Hearne. book 2 in the Iron Druid chronicles
Old July 7 2014, 02:58 AM   #1340
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I just finished Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Snow. Awkward, for a modern mind, but more nuanced than I expected, and it made a very good use of Christian allusions.
DS9 CapCon #102: Whodunit?
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7 2014, 04:31 PM   #1341
mari
Captain

I finished An Astronaut's Guide to Life last week, and now I'm working on Only Superhuman.

I was hanging out/selling jam with my best friend over the weekend, and she is now into the Wool sequel Sand, which she insists I read. So that's definitely going into the queue. She's usually more of a fantasy/dragons person, where I'm more hard SF, but the dystopian stuff is where we overlap.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 06:58 AM   #1342
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

Ashu wrote: View Post
Rereading Flowers For Algernon by Daniel keyes
Inspired by his recent passing (about three weeks ago), or is that just a coincidence?
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2014, 10:46 PM   #1343
Miss Chicken

I am listening to Big Fish by Daniel Wallace, narrated by Tom Stechschulte. I love the movie but it has taken me years to get around to the book.
Old July 8 2014, 11:40 PM   #1344
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
Ashu wrote: View Post
Rereading Flowers For Algernon by Daniel keyes
Inspired by his recent passing (about three weeks ago), or is that just a coincidence?
A little bit of both? it's been a while since I've read it and have been meaning to reread it. So it just kind of worked out that way

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 01:12 AM   #1345
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 04:07 AM   #1346
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Just finished The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfighting in Heaven. I've always meant to read this book and after a conversation with TSQ about one of my all time favorite movies, Smoke Signals. She reminded me about the book, a collection of short stories that inspired the movie. I was actually in the middle of reading another book but the thought of this book kept weighing heavily upon me. So I stopped that one temporarily to quickly finish this book.

To me, these short stories are more akin to poetry. The author draws pictures with words easily and freely that sweep you up and carry you like a wave. You feel every aspect of what he is writing, I did anyway. I so connected with a lot of the stories, I felt like I was listening to story by Thomas Builds-the-Fire story straight from him.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2014, 09:42 AM   #1347
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ That's a great book. I read it about twenty years ago (and it inspired my short story "Dogs Chew Our Legs Off") and met Sherman Alexie at the Coop at about the same time. He's a funny guy.
Old July 10 2014, 10:06 AM   #1348
Miss Chicken

I finished Big Fish and i think it is one of the rare cases where the movie was better than the book. I would only rate the book 3.5/5.

After that I listened to the very short The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens, narrated by Simon Prebble. I have read quite a bit on Mother Theresa in the past so only a faction of the info in the book was new to me.

I have just started on A Feathered River Across the Sky: The Passenger Pigeon's Flight to Extinction by Joel Greenberg, narrated by Andy Caploe.

As my shoulder has worsened (probably due to cold weather) it looks like I will listening to audio books for a while though I have got my Kindle back from the friend I loaned it to so I will see how well I manage that with my left hand.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; July 10 2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old July 10 2014, 11:00 AM   #1349
Australis
Writer

Just finished 'The Moon Maze Game', as mentioned earlier. Can recommend, kind of 'Dream Park: Die Hard On The Moon', but a lot of fun.

@Miss Chicken: if you haven't read the Dream Park novels, they're pretty good. It's a theme park where people/actors go in to play games that are recorded and put out as movies, sort of imagine any action movie played by actors making it up as they go along, cross Indiana Jones with Survivor. The actors compete for points and international standing, and the game can then be played at home by people who buy it, which has a whole bunch of different endings built into it, like any game. The places the games are played in domes that have all manner of projection equipment, and sets, and Non Playing Characters. And the games themselves are unusual in themselves (Cargo Cult mythology, the Inuit version of Fimbulwinter, Californian Voodoo, and HG Wells's Form The Earth to the Moon... on the Moon).
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 11:22 AM   #1350
Miss Chicken

Just look and luckily the Dream Park books are on Audible so I added the first one to my wish list. I won't get around to reading it this month but maybe next month.