Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 29 2014, 11:40 AM   #1216
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Re: What are you reading?

I had a cortisone injection but it only gave me 2 weeks of relief and the shoulder was extra painful for the first couple of days after I had the injection.

Now I am on tramadol and panamax and it takes the edge off the pain and least I sleeping better at night. I would say that the pain has reduced from being a 9/10 at times (when I bumped my shoulder etc) to a 6. The tramadol has really help relieve the pain from my spinal arthritis which is an added bonus. The downside is tramadol makes me a little fatigued.

I have been in pain for about 7 months so i hope that the painful freezing stage will end soon. It could take me up to two years or more to recover completely.

Last edited by Miss Chicken; May 29 2014 at 12:04 PM.
Miss Chicken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2014, 07:32 PM   #1217
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

^^ That sounds horrible Miss Chicken. I hope your recovery is much faster than two years!

Right now I'm reading Mookie: Life, Baseball, and the 86 Mets by Mookie Wilson.
I still remember sitting in my dorm room alone watching game 6 when Mookie got that hit. I was actually rooting for the Red Sox in the series, but switched to the Mets after that game. My wife gave me a signed Mookie/Buckner ball several years ago, and it's one of my favorite pieces of baseball memorabelia.
Old May 29 2014, 07:41 PM   #1218
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

I think I'm going to move on to the hunger artist by Kafka this week.

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2014, 10:04 AM   #1219
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
I had a cortisone injection but it only gave me 2 weeks of relief and the shoulder was extra painful for the first couple of days after I had the injection.

Now I am on tramadol and panamax and it takes the edge off the pain and least I sleeping better at night. I would say that the pain has reduced from being a 9/10 at times (when I bumped my shoulder etc) to a 6. The tramadol has really help relieve the pain from my spinal arthritis which is an added bonus. The downside is tramadol makes me a little fatigued.

I have been in pain for about 7 months so i hope that the painful freezing stage will end soon. It could take me up to two years or more to recover completely.
Damn, that's awful. I hope it's not as bad as that. Would it be possible that massage therapy could help it along? Not only is the pain terrible, but it must be frustrating to not be able to read a book. How about if you get a Nook or a Kindle? Then you could just prop it up.

As for books, Fate of Worlds was a disappointment. It was billed as the "explosive finale" to both the Ringworld and Fleet of Worlds series. Well, Ringworld wasn't even in it, and no clue was given as to its fate. The "explosive finale" did devastate the Puppeteer worlds and leave them in a pretty awful condition, more like a Summer popcorn movie than a real Science Fiction novel, and was more like a cliffhanger than a finale. There was also an interesting sub-plot about an increasingly aware AI that was left unresolved. A good read up until the end, but ultimately very disappointing.
Old May 30 2014, 12:50 PM   #1220
Miss Chicken

I had massage when I had the same condition in my left shoulder in 2005/6. i think it caused more pain though that might be the lack of skill of the massager to deal with the condition.

This time I have been given gentle exercise by my exercise therapist and I don't think my loss of range of motion has been as great though that might also be due to me using the shoulder more because I am right-handed.

I am using my iPad rather than laptop at the moment because typing on ht laptop is more painful than using an iPas. i could read books on the iPad or on my Kindle but because of tiredness I refer audiobooks at the movement.

Back on topic - I have finished the Black Cloud and will start a new audiobook in the morning. maybe someone can help me decide

1) Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
2) T he Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson
3) The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle
Old May 30 2014, 10:40 PM   #1221
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I'm reading Protectors by Kirsten Beyer, but think I'll break in and read A Cincinnati Private Eye Protecting Princess Di by Rich McDonough and Deborah Aull.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2014, 02:34 AM   #1222
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Sixth Grave on the Edge by Darynda Jones
Old May 31 2014, 10:08 AM   #1223
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I started The Doctor and the Dinosaurs by Mike Resnick (not that Doctor-- Doc Holliday). It's an alternate history that features a few historical characters (Edison, Roosevelt, Geronimo, et al) and it concerns the Bone Wars of the Old West. And magic is real. Also, it's apparently the latest in a series, which I didn't realize before I bought it
Old May 31 2014, 11:50 AM   #1224
Snowlilly
Lieutenant

"The Skin Collector" by Jeffery Deaver. It's the Lincoln Rhyne novel series which included the Bone Collecter that was turned into a movie a ways back.
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2014, 08:02 AM   #1225
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

I finished The Apocalypse Codex by Charlie Stross this week - it ended with the promise of a very interesting next book in the series.

I moved on to The Time Patrol by Poul Anderson. It seems to be a stitched-together novel from a series of short stories that were written over a long period of time, about a man whose job is to travel to various time periods and fix things that have been changed from the original timeline (in the chapter I just finished, he's gone back to extract a fellow Patrolman who set himself up as King Cyrus in ancient Persia, replacing the original Cyrus who had been killed as a baby).

Compared to the other books I've read recently, it's much less character-driven and much more plot-driven, in the style of older SF even though the copyright page indicates that the stories were written in the 1980s. I don't really have a good feel yet for who these characters are - they're just reacting to what's happening.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 01:05 AM   #1226
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Test papers.

*yawn*
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 01:20 AM   #1227
Miss Chicken

I finished listening to The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle and now I am listening to Bats Sing, Mice Giggle: The Surprising Science of Animals' Inner Lives by Karen Shanor and Jagmeet Kanwal.
Old June 3 2014, 03:34 AM   #1228
Santa Horrible
Tom Hendricks

View Santa Horrible's Twitter Profile

I finished listening to The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle and now I am listening to Bats Sing, Mice Giggle: The Surprising Science of Animals' Inner Lives by Karen Shanor and Jagmeet Kanwal.
Miss Chicken could you list the reader with the author when you post the audiobooks you listen too? I often wonder who the reader is, would be nice info to have.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Santa Horrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2014, 07:22 AM   #1229
Miss Chicken

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Miss Chicken could you list the reader with the author when you post the audiobooks you listen too? I often wonder who the reader is, would be nice info to have.

OK, I will.

yhe narrators of the last three books were

The Lost world - James Adams
The Black Cloud - Jack Klaff
Bats Sing, Mice Giggle - Jeff Harvey.

Most of the Pendagast books series ate narrated by either Scott Brick or Rene Auberjonois - both of them are excellent narrators.
Old June 3 2014, 06:32 PM   #1230
mari
Captain

I've finished Wool, very happy with how it ended (or didn't) as it's left open to further sequels. I'll be looking for more Hugh Howey books, anyway.

Now I'm on to An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. It's a pretty easy read, which is great considering I only get a few minutes of quiet at a time. It's also pointing out to me why I never became an astronaut... too much work... If I ever work for NASA, it'll be in marketing. Or the cafeteria.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote