TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old March 31 2014, 09:19 PM   #1096
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

Re: What are you reading?

I just finished Sunrise by Mike Mullin. It's book 3 of the Ashfall trilogy. I'm planning on starting The Selection series by Kiera Cass next.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 04:10 AM   #1097
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
Julemand wrote: View Post
Started Dan Simmons' Hyperion the other day... almost gave up when I found out it was a collection of short-stories tied loosely together, but read the first one as I found it rather entertaining in an old-school-SciFi manner. The second story was less so, but I found that I could skip most of it -so I continued reading... But after having read the first page of the third story I gave up.
I actually pity you. You're missing out on one of the greatest science fiction book series' ever.
Just to give you an idea, the first novel, being a great collection of short stories, is basically the set up for The Fall of Hyperion, and the sequel Endymion two-parter.
Took me some time, but after having dragged myself through the first two volumes and still not having read anything but a build-up to some ending that might (or not?) come in the fourth volume of this novel I am finished with it -and, sorry 'bout this, I actually pity the people who find this long-winded fantasy-novel in several volumes even remotely enjoyable
I pity everyone who doesn't share my exact taste in literature. You poor, poor, pitiful souls. I can think of no worse agony than not sharing my opinions and tastes. Maybe I shall start a charity.

I finished The Martian and really enjoyed it. I liked the detail in the descriptions of how the on-the-fly engineering feats were accomplished, and the fact that staying alive ultimately just worked out to the numbers in a closed system: there's only so much water, air, and caloric energy available -- you know how to make more, but there are only so many molecules to be broken apart and recombined in so many ways -- you're a consumer, and before long what you must consume is going to run out. It was a cool book.

This weekend I read Gunn's Golden Rules: Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work, by Tim Gunn of Project Runway fame. It was a hot mess of trashy fun. I also read His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. Also a lot of trashy fun, but of a different kind. Drags in the Napoleonic War, how could that not be a romp! Don't know what I'm going to read next. I may return to the Matthew Corbett series and read the third book. I put it off because the second book, The Queen of Bedlam gave me nightmares, and the third book is called Mr. Slaughter, so I thought I'd take a break from those.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:49 AM   #1098
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

I've decided to re-read some of my Nora Roberts trilogies...first up, the seven signs trilogy...nice and spooky.

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 09:51 AM   #1099
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

I'm currently reading Letters From the Earth by Mark Twain. Every time I read this book, it reminds me of how brilliant Twain was, and how prescient he could be regarding not only society's development, but how often we would fail to learn our lessons only to repeat them again.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1 2014, 10:00 AM   #1100
lurok
Commodore

On a re-reading binge, so just finished Shelley's Frankenstein, and currently Fahrenheit 451. Paradise Lost next...
Old April 1 2014, 05:27 PM   #1101
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Kai "the spy" wrote: View Post
/.../
/.../
I pity everyone who doesn't share my exact taste in literature. You poor, poor, pitiful souls. I can think of no worse agony than not sharing my opinions and tastes. Maybe I shall start a charity.

Touché.
Old April 1 2014, 06:38 PM   #1102
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I'm now back to the original Bond books, reading them in the Griswold/Chancellor Chronology. Not sure where the three continuations (of the original series) books go.
Old April 1 2014, 08:52 PM   #1103
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

I'm all over the place right now. I'm in various stages of: The Hunger Games, The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, The Pin Drop Principle for work, and The Striker by Clive Cussler. I also just ordered The Androids Dream by Jon Scalzi, and a book on baseball statistics from Amazon.
Old April 1 2014, 09:00 PM   #1104
Santa Claus
Digitally Assisted

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Well, I finished Letters From the Earth, and it just reminds me how much I miss adept literary luminaries like Mark Twain. We've had humorists since, who have been exemplary (such as Wil Rogers), but Twain was one of a kind, I think.

Anyhoo, continuing on through the much neglected "Classics" section of my Kindle library, I've just started on Essays and Lectures by Oscar Wilde.

❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 03:45 PM   #1105
Bumbles861
Admiral

"Poirot and Me" by David Suchet.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 04:56 PM   #1106
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

test papers about whales.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 06:19 PM   #1107
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I'm reading The Selection series by Kiera Cass. I'm on Book 2, The Elite. The One is scheduled to be released in May.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2014, 08:14 PM   #1108
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm currently reading Letters From the Earth by Mark Twain. Every time I read this book, it reminds me of how brilliant Twain was, and how prescient he could be regarding not only society's development, but how often we would fail to learn our lessons only to repeat them again.
I forgot to comment earlier; this is one of my all-time favorite books. I read it in high school and it made a big impact on me.
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 01:40 PM   #1109
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I am starting Away Down South: A History of Southern Identity by James C. Cobb.
DS9 CapCon #105: NOW IS THE PERFECT TIME TO PANIC!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 02:18 PM   #1110
Bumbles861
Admiral

The Winnipeg Sun.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote