TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old February 20 2014, 03:38 AM   #1021
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Re: What are you reading?

2014 reading list thus far:

I started out thinking positive for the year. I had all these internet meme images that had fantastic quotes and I ended up requesting several books from the library: Conversations With Myself and The Essential Marcus Aurelius. Conversations had too much South African history for me to pull anything new out of it. It's re-published letters that Nelson Mandela wrote while in prison. The references, which seemed to be on every page, left me feeling lost and I never got into the book. Aurelius isn't written in paragraph form and I never connected with it, either. Both went back to the library unfinished.

The Art of Falling by Kathryn Craft exceeded my expectations. I got it on a whim, a book that I searched for while my company at the library was still using the computer. I didn't pick it up until I was looking for an easy read to lull me to asleep after a bad case of insomnia. It had the opposite effect. I stayed up for 2 hours reading it. The characters are beautifully drawn, the inner monologue of the main character just spoke to me in ways few fiction books do. I read the rest of the novel within 10 days. What a wonderful gift to start out the year.

My next book to pick up was Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. Very well-written, but I had an itch to re-read Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham. I got into it instead of Mansfield Park and I decided to part with it until I had more time to read it.

Since I seem to be going through a philosophy-with-a-scientific-bent phase, I have recently started Nature Via Nurture by Matt Ridley. I find it a very interesting read about the competing projects to map the human genome and the startling discoveries that came from the last, great scientific achievement.

So that's my story so far this year. I haven't been as focused on reading as I usually am, but I have enjoyed myself.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2014, 04:00 AM   #1022
Coal the Elf
Commodore

View Coal the Elf's Twitter Profile

Just got done reading Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Really liked it, it was one of his better books as of late, imo. Drew me in from the first page and didn't let me go. Working on reading the rest of the prequel, The Shining now.
Old February 27 2014, 02:43 PM   #1023
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

This is my reading list for the year: I hope to get it all done and I will keep you updated. Bolians are my rating for the book (out of 5 Bolians)

1. The Art of Falling by Kathryn Craft (Read as of February 1, 2014) --The book tells the story of Penelope Sparrow, a modern dancer that falls 14 stories off her apartment balcony and who's fall is broken by a parked car. She survives, but spends most of the rest of the book unable to dance. Movement expresses her emotions. The dance world has been her dream and her nightmare. Born with wide hips (for a dancer), she never felt quite good enough and was often taken out of programs because her 'Exotic' body was distracting to an audience. The book touches on fulfillment, body image, mental health, love and loss, and does so in a lyrical prose that connected me to the main character and the relationships she forms. It has a happy ending, but that is all I will say about it. The Art of Falling has become one of my favorite books and it is slated to be purchased when I get my next check (I prefer paper books).

2. Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham (Currently on 198 of 712 in my re-read)

3. Nature via Nurture by Matt Ridley (currently on 32 of 280).

4. Cut Me Loose: Sin and Salvation After My Ultra-Orthodox Girlhood by Leah Vincent

5. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

6. The Empire of Necessity: Slavery, Freedom, and Deception in the New World by Greg Grandin

7. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

8. The Lost Child of Philomena Lee: A Mother, Her Son and A Fifty-Year Search by Martin Sixsmith

9. Atonement by Ian McEwan

10. The Accidental Universe: The World You Thought You Knew by Alan Lightman

11. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

12. The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy by Bill Simmons

Alternates:
1. Why I Read: The Serious Pleasure of Books by Wendy Lesser

2. The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

3. I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai.

4. The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism by Naoki Higashida

Anyone who wants to do this, feel free to post a list. It can be 2 books, it could be 50.
Old February 27 2014, 08:58 PM   #1024
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

^ Wow. I don't usually plan that far ahead.

Just finished Laura Lippman's newest, After I'm Gone. Excellent, as usual.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27 2014, 09:28 PM   #1025
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

i can't plan a reading list at all. i try but it never works. i always get distracted by new books. its why my 'to read' pile is so outta control.
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2014, 11:13 AM   #1026
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Same here. My life is a study in chaos. My To-Read Pile probably exceeds my remaining lifetime.
Old February 28 2014, 01:29 PM   #1027
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
^ Wow. I don't usually plan that far ahead.

Just finished Laura Lippman's newest, After I'm Gone. Excellent, as usual.
Saga wrote: View Post
i can't plan a reading list at all. i try but it never works. i always get distracted by new books. its why my 'to read' pile is so outta control.
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Same here. My life is a study in chaos. My To-Read Pile probably exceeds my remaining lifetime.
No doubt. The to-read list is long for me as well. This is the first time I have ever done a list like this, as a challenge and to keep me focused throughout the year. There are always enough books to read. I actually found it fun looking forward to all the books I would be reading.
Old February 28 2014, 02:27 PM   #1028
RESPCT
SPCTRE

View RESPCT's Twitter Profile

Dean Takahashi's The Xbox 360 Uncloaked: The Real Story Behind Microsoft's Next-Generation Video Game Console

Lengthy title, great read - a lot of industry inside baseball.
“Metro [...] is designed for casual users [...] designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don’t know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. [...] the antithesis of a power user.”
— Windows UI designer J. Miller
RESPCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 02:22 AM   #1029
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

I just picked up The Feminine Mystique today. Since I may not talk for a while, might as well read something new to me, right?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 03:42 AM   #1030
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Just finished reading Silence of the Sea by Yrsa Sigurdardottir (e-book). A mystery set in Iceland. A luxury yacht on autopilot arrives at the dock in Reykjavik with no-one aboard. Where are the 7 people who were aboard it when it left Portugal a few days before? 4/5.

Just started The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie King (e-book). An Sherlock Holmes pastiche.

My dead tree read at the moment is Deaf in Japan: Signing and the Politics of Identity by Karen Nakamura.

My audio book 'read' is 100 Cupboards by N. D. Wilson. It is a children's fantasy book.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 10:55 AM   #1031
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I have finished Anathem by Neal Stephenson. It was quite a journey, but definitely high-grade Hard SF. Not just an amazing exercise in world-building, somewhat like a cross between The Hobbit and Psychohistorical Crisis, but also a great cast of characters engaging in (literal) dialogues about science, philosophy, the philosophy of science, and the science of philosophy. Let me tell you, metaphysics is more than just intellectual finger-painting in this book. Highly recommended.

Next on my list was Fate of Worlds by Larry Niven-- but a draft of Sabrina Zbasnik's new novel as fallen into my hands, so I've started in on that.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
No doubt. The to-read list is long for me as well. This is the first time I have ever done a list like this, as a challenge and to keep me focused throughout the year.
I usually have an idea of the next two or three books I want to read, but it seldom works out-- see above.

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
I just picked up The Feminine Mystique today. Since I may not talk for a while, might as well read something new to me, right?
Why are you giving us the silent treatment?
Old March 1 2014, 09:17 PM   #1032
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Glad you liked it! Anathem is among my favourites
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1 2014, 10:34 PM   #1033
Starpaul20
Lieutenant Commander

View Starpaul20's Twitter Profile

Decided to start re-reading the Harry Potter series. I can't remember when I last read The Sorcerer's Stone.
Old March 1 2014, 11:59 PM   #1034
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I plan on finishing up Struck by Jennifer Bosworth tonight and starting The Wind, The Road, and The Way by Jenny L. Cote tomorrow or Monday.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2 2014, 03:04 AM   #1035
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

View Gingerbread Girl's Twitter Profile

Just finished Divergent/Insurgent/Allegiant. I liked them, but they didn't grab me like the Hunger Games trilogy did. Will probably pass on the movies.