RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,703
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 430
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old November 18 2013, 01:49 PM   #856
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: What are you reading?

I think at that time there was a general European movement for women's rights. Thanks to rather influential women in the royal family, we Bavarians were among the first nations to create equal rights (well, at least on paper...)

In 1892 Bavarian princess Therese held a position as Dr h.c. at Munich university and held lessons on biology and anthropology. She was a highly popular researcher and internationally respected. (Coincidentially, she was also one of the first women ever to drive a motorcar.)

In 1903, women became officially allowed to study at Bavarian universities.
Interestingly, we got the right to vote only in 1918 (on the other hand: until then we were a monarchchy so that there was no real need for either gender to vote)
Old November 19 2013, 10:52 AM   #857
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

That's pretty cool. So it was happening across the US and Europe at the same time. An idea whose time had come, evidently.

And, speaking of women, Jack McDevitt's latest Priscilla Hutchins novel arrived yesterday.
Old November 19 2013, 11:01 AM   #858
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

Mercedes Lackey's The Mage Wars

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 11:42 AM   #859
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I do not read STAR TREK novels, as a rule, and I do not usually have time to read very often, anyway. Nevertheless ... currently, I am reading some older books, which I found ... in The Cheap Bin. One is STAR TREK: The Next Generation - "Foreign Foes." The other is "To Reign in Hell," a bridge between SPACE SEED and WRATH of KHAN.

Foriegn Foes has a certain charm about it, though that is damning it with faint praise, to be sure. It's not a literary achievement, by any standard. And yet, as I say, it has charm for being a hack job. To Reign in Hell I am totally unsure of. I started to read some of it, where the beginning involves Kirk/Spock/Bones taking a shuttle to go on leave with the aim of investigating Khan's former lifestyle on Ceta Alpha V ... the book has a nice cover, though!
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19 2013, 12:38 PM   #860
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Alas, Trek novels are of a pretty mixed quality. I used to have all but when I moved I kept only the ones I liked best. Beware of "Wardrums" - it's absolutely awful. I can recommend "Kahless". It's actually 2 stories and jumps between 2 time frames which I find a bit unnerving. I tend to simply read all the odd-numbered chapters first and then the even-numbered ones, so that I get every time line without interruptions. Well written and rather thrilling, though.

Currently I read The Black Moth by Georgette Heyer. Nice little Regency novel with a happy end. Just the thing for long dark and cold winter evenings.
Old November 20 2013, 12:11 AM   #861
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I've read very few Star Trek novels as well, mostly ones that tell of important events. The best were Final Frontier (first voyage of the Enterprise under Captain April and Commander [George] Kirk) and Enterprise (the first voyage of Enterprise under Captain James Kirk).
Old November 20 2013, 12:17 AM   #862
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Currently: Whip Smart and An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20 2013, 12:50 AM   #863
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I'm reading The Day Kennedy was Shot by Jim Bishop.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 04:46 PM   #864
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

After taking a break from Under the Banner of Heaven (very heavy material), I'm going after something a little more fun.

Yesterday, I went to the library for a book that I ordered. During an ESPN Chat, Tom Haberstroh recommended The Art of a Beautiful Game: The Thinking Fan's Tour of the NBA by Chris Ballard. While I was there, I wanted some humor so I picked up The Wordy Shipmates by Sarah Vowell and When you are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. The last book was Night by Elie Wiesel.

So I will be busy the next 2 months or so with all these books. I have already started Chris Ballard's book (40 pages yesterday), it's a very easy read and the subject matter and story approach are right up my alley. So I expect to have it done this week, unless something happens.

As for Vowell and Sedaris, it was tough getting through the first couple of pages because I have been in reporter's mode because Heaven.

Last edited by HaventGotALife; November 25 2013 at 05:06 PM.
HaventGotALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:03 PM   #865
mari
Captain

I've been reading a lot of SF/F short stories lately, which are posted on Tor.com. I'm on at least two of their mailing lists, and one of them links to 1-3 short stories per week. I'm about 2 months behind right now. The last one I read, "Wakullah Springs", takes place over three generations in Wakullah Springs, Florida, and coincidentally I have seen articles about both the Wakullah area and the Weeki-Wachee mermaid show in the past week, plus a post on Facebook about the legendary Skunk Ape.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 05:04 PM   #866
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Finished Revelation Space 2 last night. Started Revelation space 3.

Can't say I like the prose very much, and the stories are a bit too much fantasy with filler for my taste... but it only takes a chapter in bed before I'm ready to sleep
Old November 25 2013, 07:04 PM   #867
Ghost07
Vice Admiral

^^I agree with you, trekkiedane...they were booooorrrring...

Do not worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia...Charles Schulz

LJ
Ghost07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25 2013, 07:18 PM   #868
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

^Thanks, Ghost!

Sometimes I'm a bit... well not exactly afraid... but definitively quite apprehensive about writing what I think about a book here. Mostly because I merely am expressing my opinion - and not all understand that.

Especially not if I learned about that very book in the same thread
But luckily we're not all the same, and even if I don't have a particular fondness for one universe -there's always another just a few posts up- or downstream
Old November 25 2013, 11:00 PM   #869
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

Lori by Robert Bloch
Saga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26 2013, 07:21 AM   #870
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral

I started Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks on the weekend. A couple of months ago, I'd picked up a box set containing the first three novels in his Culture series, but it's taken me a while to get to it. (Actually, I've skipped over a number of books I've had longer to read these first.)

So far, I'm finding it interesting, though I did find it hard at first to keep track of who was who - probably because nobody seems to have a name that's anything like an existing human name, so the character names are all just messes of syllables at the moment. I'm sure that'll resolve itself as I get further into the book. The story itself starts very slowly, I'm hoping I don't get bored with it, because I've always heard that this series is well worth reading.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote