RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,688
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 14 2013, 10:07 PM   #676
kirsten187
Napoleonic Power Monger

View kirsten187's Twitter Profile
Re: What are you reading?

An OU textbook
Old August 14 2013, 10:26 PM   #677
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Recently finished 3001: A Final Odyssey. Quite disappointing end to a series.

Now Reading: The Son by Philipp Meyer
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2013, 11:16 PM   #678
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

TV Guide.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 03:40 AM   #679
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. Fascinating! Very well researched and written.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 09:29 AM   #680
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. Fascinating! Very well researched and written.
That is on my wishlist.

I am just about to start Strange Shores by Arnaldur Indridason which was released on Kindle today. A crime mystery set in Iceland, the 9th book in the Reykjavik murder series and I have been looking forward to it for months. Detective Erlendur has been missing from the last two books in this series so I am happy that he is back in this book as he is my favourite police detective of all time.
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2013, 11:48 PM   #681
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I had a feeling you'd be disappointed. I was disappointed, too, although I still loved it-- Clarke's my favorite, after all. My major disappointments were the abandonment of the Trinity storyline, the Halman business, the retcon of the Stargate and the fact that, far from being the "final" Odyssey, it ended on a cliffhanger.
Old August 16 2013, 03:40 AM   #682
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I had a feeling you'd be disappointed. I was disappointed, too, although I still loved it-- Clarke's my favorite, after all. My major disappointments were the abandonment of the Trinity storyline, the Halman business, the retcon of the Stargate and the fact that, far from being the "final" Odyssey, it ended on a cliffhanger.

Yeah, I can see why you were telling me it was a disappointment. What makes it all the more disappointing is how strong it started out. 2061's epilogue had set up some great potential that never really amounts to anything more than a passing mention. I'd have thought that the discovery of the monolith on Earth would have done something significant for humanity, giving the story a philosophical note. It's as if the story was relying too heavily on the technology to dazzle, and I know it sounds ironic in terms of a sci-fi, but the story seemed to be more about the technology surrounding them rather than their affected lives. I felt the end was a bit too neat and tidy. I think he fumbled it, but on the other hand, it's difficult to end such an iconic series that started out as a single story.

And I don't really understand Clarke's comments about the stories not really being direct sequels, and more as stories taking place in the same universe, as they certainly read like direct sequels to me.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; August 16 2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old August 16 2013, 09:56 AM   #683
RJDiogenes

Well, he kept fiddling with the timeline. If you look at his description of Poole's life, it's clear that the events of 2001 couldn't have taken place in 2001 and so forth. And then there was the retconning, such as with the Stargate. I think the term he used was "variations on a theme." I didn't like that aspect, either.

But he was very old when he wrote it. He could still come up with the ideas, but didn't seem to have the focus or energy to develop them.

My favorite aspect was bringing back Poole, giving the series a feeling of circularity. But I really wished that he would have brought back Clindar and Eos from Lost Worlds of 2001 and given us a real epic finale. Instead it turned into a confrontation and was put off for another 900 years.
Old August 16 2013, 11:10 AM   #684
Pingfah
Admiral

I am continuing to work through the novels of Charles Bukowski, and am now on Women. Great stuff, really dark, seedy and also hilarious.

I have just bought a collection of his short stories too, The Most Beautiful Woman in Town, and I intend to read that next.
Old August 16 2013, 01:17 PM   #685
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, Jonathan Haidt. Excellent so far..
DS9 CapCon #99: Major Pain for Quark
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 04:36 PM   #686
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

More Kennedy assassination lore: Killing the Truth by Harrison Edward Livingstone.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2013, 08:06 PM   #687
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Well, he kept fiddling with the timeline. If you look at his description of Poole's life, it's clear that the events of 2001 couldn't have taken place in 2001 and so forth. And then there was the retconning, such as with the Stargate. I think the term he used was "variations on a theme." I didn't like that aspect, either.

But he was very old when he wrote it. He could still come up with the ideas, but didn't seem to have the focus or energy to develop them.

My favorite aspect was bringing back Poole, giving the series a feeling of circularity. But I really wished that he would have brought back Clindar and Eos from Lost Worlds of 2001 and given us a real epic finale. Instead it turned into a confrontation and was put off for another 900 years.

Yeah, that much was clear. Still, despite the differences, it everything still lined up fairly well and they read like sequels rather than variations, which to me sounds more like unrelated stories set in the same universe, which this wasn't. It never felt like they weren't connected as they all referred to each other. So, his comments about that just left me confused.

The finale, I agree, left a lot to be desired. I actually feel that with a series as epic and iconic as it was, that it would have been better served to have it end in an open-ended manner that would have made people wonder, instead of what he did. I did like bringing Poole back too, though Clarke didn't really do much with him to further the story and make it interesting. He kind of was just there without much purpose.

Like you said, his ideas weren't as good as he was older, and it's plain to see when he starts to borrow whole chapters from 2001 and 2010 instead of writing entertaining synopses to those referred events. That bugged me quite a bit. With Poole, to make it even more circular in nature, I would have liked Clarke to have found a way to get him down on the surface and be a part of the discovery of TMA-0, much like Floyd was critical to the investigations of TMA-1, which would have given him more of a purpose and a neat parallel to him having been revived. It was a wasted potential, and I was actually frustrated that so much of it took place in space, if that makes any sense.
Old August 17 2013, 10:56 AM   #688
RJDiogenes

^^ Yeah, I agree with all of that, especially Poole. He was just an observer and a plot device to communicate with Halman; he should have had something to do to make his character the equal of Bowman and Floyd. Also, defeating the aliens using a Trojan Horse computer virus was far too mundane a climax for story that started out as the essence of "the sense of wonder." It's really too bad.

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion, Jonathan Haidt. Excellent so far..
Now that's interesting and topical. Can you give us an idea of what he has to say?
Old August 17 2013, 08:36 PM   #689
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Also, defeating the aliens using a Trojan Horse computer virus was far too mundane a climax for story that started out as the essence of "the sense of wonder." It's really too bad.
Yeah, tell me about it. It zapped the sense of wonder out of it. Too simple a solution for one of the greatest mysteries ever created. I think a better ending would have been for their plan to backfire as an underestimation of TMA, and as a result sending humanity back to where it all began with the opening scenes of 2001. That would have had more of an impact and would have followed the themes in a better way.
Old August 18 2013, 10:27 AM   #690
RJDiogenes

Or have an epilogue showing advanced Europans discovering TMA-0 on an idyllic but uninhabited Earth.

The publisher should hire Jack McDevitt to write 4001: Ultimate Odyssey or something.