RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,589
Posts: 5,515,385
Members: 25,158
Currently online: 536
Newest member: Giarc1982

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2012, 07:27 PM   #46
Squiggy Claus
Rampant Sexist
 
Squiggy Claus's Avatar
 
Location: Up Squiggy's Coal Chute.
View Squiggy Claus's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy Claus
Re: What are you reading?

It took me a year, but I finally finished The Power Broker. Reading Theodore Rex now.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 07:35 PM   #47
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn
Re: What are you reading?

Snowlilly wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I just finished Changes, by Jim Butcher - it's the second-last Dresden Files book to date. (I just picked up the most recent, Ghost Story, last weekend.) I'm currently reading Building Harlequin's Moon, by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper.

I have been wondering how those books are. I have not read them but watched a few of the episodes. I take it the books are better than the show?
I read the first on recommendation from a friend. It was fairly entertaining, and she is a huge fan (her sentiment is that the show is absolutely horrible, I've never seen it myself). When I read it I laughed hysterically through the climax, however, because it could easily be read as a lot of euphemisms for sex -- things like feeling all the tension in his muscles build until they shook, and it was finally released through his staff, but like, three pages of more and more ridiculous double entendre -- and apparently I can be about as mature as a twelve year old boy when I come across this kind of thing. I actually had tears I was laughing so hard. I started the second book but couldn't really get into it.
__________________
thestrangequark

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 07:53 PM   #48
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas
 
maclaus's Avatar
 
Location: macloudt: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus
Re: What are you reading?

I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
__________________
Get on macloudt's bad side, and she'll Knit 1, Purl 2 your ass--Melakon

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 05:53 AM   #49
ngc7293
Commander
 
ngc7293's Avatar
 
Location: Michigan
Re: What are you reading?

Currently reading (on my iPad) Star Trek: Titan #3 Orion's Hounds
I will read other Titan books or other Trek books until October when a certain Mercedes Lackey book comes out Book 4 of the Collegium Chronicles series.
After that, I might read another Mercedes Lackey, Valdamar series (I have read most of them)
__________________
Judy Waxhorn: "Lighbulb is shot can't see a damn thing. Prepare to trash the ship. LaForge, disable the warp-core protection system. Troi, take the helm. All hands, prepare for DRAMA."
ngc7293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:12 AM   #50
Snowlilly
Lieutenant
 
Snowlilly's Avatar
 
Location: The Frozen North
Re: What are you reading?

macloudt wrote: View Post
I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
Oh wow, I love Cadfael. I will definitely have to add those books to my list. Sounds like something right up my alley! Thanks!

PS. I like your blog
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:25 AM   #51
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral
 
TorontoTrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: What are you reading?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Snowlilly wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I just finished Changes, by Jim Butcher - it's the second-last Dresden Files book to date. (I just picked up the most recent, Ghost Story, last weekend.) I'm currently reading Building Harlequin's Moon, by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper.

I have been wondering how those books are. I have not read them but watched a few of the episodes. I take it the books are better than the show?
I read the first on recommendation from a friend. It was fairly entertaining, and she is a huge fan (her sentiment is that the show is absolutely horrible, I've never seen it myself). When I read it I laughed hysterically through the climax, however, because it could easily be read as a lot of euphemisms for sex -- things like feeling all the tension in his muscles build until they shook, and it was finally released through his staff, but like, three pages of more and more ridiculous double entendre -- and apparently I can be about as mature as a twelve year old boy when I come across this kind of thing. I actually had tears I was laughing so hard. I started the second book but couldn't really get into it.
I enjoy them. They delve a lot more deeply into Harry's psyche, of course.

There were also a number of changes made for the TV show. In the books, Bob is a spirit - he has no body. That's not to disrespect Terrence Mann's performance - I thought he was wonderful - but Bob is different, as is Murphy, and there are a lot of other supporting characters whom we never saw on the show, and a very well-drawn history of the characters and the world they inhabit.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 08:34 PM   #52
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas
 
maclaus's Avatar
 
Location: macloudt: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus
Re: What are you reading?

Snowlilly wrote: View Post
macloudt wrote: View Post
I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
Oh wow, I love Cadfael. I will definitely have to add those books to my list. Sounds like something right up my alley! Thanks!

PS. I like your blog
Thank you.

Historical crime and mystery books are my favourite fiction genre. I love Susannah Gregory's books, too, which are set in Tudor times.
__________________
Get on macloudt's bad side, and she'll Knit 1, Purl 2 your ass--Melakon

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 10:21 PM   #53
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What are you reading?

Speaking of crime authors, Patricia Cornwell writes some good books both fiction and true life. Her 2002 book on who she thinks was really Jack the Ripper(late 19th and early 20th century British artist Walter Sickert) is an amazing and engrossing read even if you don't necessarily buy her theory on the Ripper's actual identity.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 11:15 PM   #54
maclaus
Another bloomin' Christmas
 
maclaus's Avatar
 
Location: macloudt: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to maclaus
Re: What are you reading?

I must admit that I'm not much of a Cornell fan. I prefer Kathy Reichs, but that's just my personal taste.
__________________
Get on macloudt's bad side, and she'll Knit 1, Purl 2 your ass--Melakon

High-quality, beautiful hand knit items in support of charity available at Neighbourworks - Close Knit Style. Check it out!
maclaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 09:51 AM   #55
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDonner&Blitzen's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: What are you reading?

I just finished The Robber Hotzenplotz, which is a German children's book from about fifty years back (and was a gift from a friend in Germany) and am now back to an anthology by Howard Waldrop, who is an obscure-but-unique SF writer (who was recommended to me by Australis).
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDonner&Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 10:09 AM   #56
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: What are you reading?

Just Kids next.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 11:15 PM   #57
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Lumos Ziyal's Avatar
 
Location: with Tora Ziyal
Re: What are you reading?

Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies, the most recent book in the Walt Longmire mystery series. Yes, the ones the new A&E show is based on. I enjoyed the first few books, but by now I'm bored.
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:05 AM   #58
KimMH
Rear Admiral
 
KimMH's Avatar
 
Location: The poster formerly known as ORSE
Re: What are you reading?

trying to read James Joyces's Ullyses. An admittedly slow slog, I confess I'm beginning to suspect that a) my lit degree isn't worth crap, or b) betwixt the two of us, one of us has a personality disorder. should have started w/ Dubliners, I know. I don't even remember Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man.
__________________
Just one woman; doing what I can, with what I've got, where I'm at!
KimMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:24 AM   #59
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore
 
Location: With Cmdr. D. Chakotay
Re: What are you reading?

Emory's Gift by W. Bruce Cameron.
__________________
The Phantom of the Opera is in my mind.
"I am the Angel of Music....Come to the Angel of Music. Sing for me!!!"
"You will curse the day you did not do, all that the Phantom asked of you!"
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:34 AM   #60
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
SantaEddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What are you reading?

I'm thinking of rereading part of the Warren Commission Report. All the recent Kennedy assassination documentaries I've been watching lately have me interested in going back to parts of the original Warren Report.
__________________
Remember what cooleddie74 says, kids:

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
may the force be with you

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.