Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 21 2012, 10:43 PM   #16
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: What are you reading?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
It is a great one, and you're right, the movie is wonderful too, even though they did a very poor job of revealing the lesbian undertones of the book!
You could still feel it in the movie, though. Most people who notice tend to cite the food fight scene, but I prefer the "bee charmer" scene, which conveys much more subtext between Idgy and Ruth, IMO.

As for me, the majority of my reading lately has been science blogs and neuroscience and psychology journals and magazines (because I intend to go to grad school within the next 3 years and have to stay up to date), and tons of really, embarrassingly bad slash fanfiction. The last actual book I read was The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and that was months ago. I'm aching for a good meaty novel though, preferably escapist and fantastical, with a sexy leading man.
The God Delusion's a great book. I can give some credit to Dawkins for helping me along in understanding my newfound rationality. I mean, I was aware of it, it's just his method was instrumental in helping me fully utilize it.

Also, don't feel bad about slash fanfic, I've wrote a number of them myself. I, uh, write a lot of erotica, from both male and female points-of-view. *ahem*

If you're looking for a good meaty novel, though (he says, realizing he wrote "meaty" very shortly after "erotica") that is escapist and fantastical, I would recommend The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's not a new novel, it's about 15 years old, but it's a good fantasy novel with solid male leads. You can probably find it at your library.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 10:48 PM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I'm on the last book of the Game of Thrones series. I flew through the first four but I keep forgetting I'm reading this one, despite it's focus on some of my favorite characters. Must continue.. the slog..

Part of it is is so darn heavy to carry around (have the hardcover). Makes me fantasize about kindles.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 11:24 PM   #18
Lonemagpie
Writer

Could we not have a book discussion here as well, for those misc posters who don't venture out often?
No reason why not.

Right now I'm dipping into Lost Voices Of The Royal Air Force (edited) by Max Arthur, but I wouldn't call it my main read ATM, cos usually my main read is a paperback that will fit in my pocket for when I'm waiting around in shops etc, and that book's too big.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 12:30 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Could we not have a book discussion here as well, for those misc posters who don't venture out often?
No reason why not.

Right now I'm dipping into Lost Voices Of The Royal Air Force (edited) by Max Arthur, but I wouldn't call it my main read ATM, cos usually my main read is a paperback that will fit in my pocket for when I'm waiting around in shops etc, and that book's too big.
This is why I'm giving the kindle some serious consideration. Was a but put off that my current reading was about the same price in e-book as what I paid for the hardcover though.. but I also want to read some fanfic and I'd rather not do it on the computer.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 22 2012, 12:50 AM   #20
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

^I LOVE my Kindle. The best part is that my mother, sister, and I all put our Kindles on the same account, which means we can share whatever books we each get. It's really fun, as long as you don't mind the other people on your account knowing what you're reading!
J. Allen wrote: View Post
It is a great one, and you're right, the movie is wonderful too, even though they did a very poor job of revealing the lesbian undertones of the book!
You could still feel it in the movie, though. Most people who notice tend to cite the food fight scene, but I prefer the "bee charmer" scene, which conveys much more subtext between Idgy and Ruth, IMO.
Well, I haven't seen the movie since I was a teen either, maybe I would be more attuned to the subtlety these days.
As for me, the majority of my reading lately has been science blogs and neuroscience and psychology journals and magazines (because I intend to go to grad school within the next 3 years and have to stay up to date), and tons of really, embarrassingly bad slash fanfiction. The last actual book I read was The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and that was months ago. I'm aching for a good meaty novel though, preferably escapist and fantastical, with a sexy leading man.
The God Delusion's a great book. I can give some credit to Dawkins for helping me along in understanding my newfound rationality. I mean, I was aware of it, it's just his method was instrumental in helping me fully utilize it.
I thought it was a great book too, even if Dawkins ultimately failed to convince me of his argument. I went into the book already a strong atheist, so there was no need to convince me there was no god (to use Dawkins' own terminology, I would have ranked myself a 6 a priori atheist -- I don't think one can rank oneself a 7 while maintaining intellectual honesty), I don't agree with his ultimate assertion that god necessarily lies in the realm of TAP agnosticism. Some types of gods and aspects of gods certainly do (like intercessory prayer, which can be scientifically tested and has proved to be useless), but I think that a god by the definition of many believers lies in the realm of PAP agnosticism.

Also, don't feel bad about slash fanfic, I've wrote a number of them myself. I, uh, write a lot of erotica, from both male and female points-of-view. *ahem*
Me? Feel bad? Never. Years ago, when I first was introduced to the realm of slash fiction by a dear friend, who would animatedly talk about her love of doujinshi anywhere, I asked her (in the middle of a conversation about gay erotica in the middle of a crowded cafe) if she was never embarrassed about it. She said, "The way I see it, you can either be ashamed or unabashed, and I will never be ashamed!" Wise words!

I'm not embarrassed about liking erotica, I'm embarrassed by reading erotica with such terrible writing! Nothing pulls you out of the moment like a misused homophone.

If you're looking for a good meaty novel, though (he says, realizing he wrote "meaty" very shortly after "erotica") that is escapist and fantastical, I would recommend The Lions of al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay. It's not a new novel, it's about 15 years old, but it's a good fantasy novel with solid male leads. You can probably find it at your library.
I'll look into it, thanks!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 01:25 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

Me? Feel bad? Never. Years ago, when I first was introduced to the realm of slash fiction by a dear friend, who would animatedly talk about her love of doujinshi anywhere, I asked her (in the middle of a conversation about gay erotica in the middle of a crowded cafe) if she was never embarrassed about it. She said, "The way I see it, you can either be ashamed or unabashed, and I will never be ashamed!" Wise words!
Other than being sensitive to people's discomfort I'm not embarrassed about anything. I've somehow managed to develop a reputation for brash and/or weirdness which I'm not particularly, and it all stems from liking what I like and not caring whether it's deemed worthy by others.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 22 2012, 02:10 AM   #22
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I just finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald and am rereading Yellow by Janni Visman. Not sure what I'll head to next.
Old August 22 2012, 02:16 AM   #23
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I just finished This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald and am rereading Yellow by Janni Visman. Not sure what I'll head to next.
I'd suggest High Fidelity. I found it an awesome contrast to This Side of Paradise. They're actually very similar novels in many ways, each capturing the pop-culture of their respective eras and weaving them into their stories beautifully.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 02:28 AM   #24
Gil T.Azell
Rear Admiral

Star Trek Enterprise; The Romulan War; Beneath the Raptor's Wing,.

The Clapton Bio.
Gil T.Azell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 05:50 AM   #25
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I read a few hundred papers today about poetry in the Middle Ages. GAH. My brain is fried.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 06:06 AM   #26
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Kill Shot by Vince Flynn
Old August 22 2012, 06:09 AM   #27
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Currently reading a volume on the nation's Presidents. It's a fairly recent book that includes Barack Obama so with the exception of events like the 2010 midterms and the killing of bin Laden it's pretty current and up to speed.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 06:47 AM   #28
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Well, I haven't seen the movie since I was a teen either, maybe I would be more attuned to the subtlety these days.
Well, I own it so it's usually fresh in my memory (I just watched it this past week).

I thought it was a great book too, even if Dawkins ultimately failed to convince me of his argument. I went into the book already a strong atheist, so there was no need to convince me there was no god (to use Dawkins' own terminology, I would have ranked myself a 6 a priori atheist -- I don't think one can rank oneself a 7 while maintaining intellectual honesty), I don't agree with his ultimate assertion that god necessarily lies in the realm of TAP agnosticism. Some types of gods and aspects of gods certainly do (like intercessory prayer, which can be scientifically tested and has proved to be useless), but I think that a god by the definition of many believers lies in the realm of PAP agnosticism.
I can understand that, and yes, some of Dawkins' arguments I find too simplistic, eschewing religious context out of hand without weighing it against itself. Still, in my case, I was already over the agnostic line, Dawkins' book just gave me a more firm landing when I made the jump.

I'm not embarrassed about liking erotica, I'm embarrassed by reading erotica with such terrible writing! Nothing pulls you out of the moment like a misused homophone.
Firstly, I like your friend. Secondly, I agree about poorly written erotica. Hell, poorly written anything gets my goat. I'm usually quite lax in standards, but for the love of all that is holy, at least spell pussy correctly. I say this from personal experience, from whence I got a headache reading a particularly bad fiction.

I'll look into it, thanks!
You're welcome!
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 07:00 AM   #29
Snowlilly
Lieutenant

Thank you for all those recommendations, I will definitely look some of thos up. I also plan on continuing my Game of Thrones series as I just finished the first book. Also plan on getting the sequel to The Passage which I really enjoyed reading and look forward to.
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 10:38 AM   #30
lurok
Commodore

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I'd suggest High Fidelity. I found it an awesome contrast to This Side of Paradise. They're actually very similar novels in many ways, each capturing the pop-culture of their respective eras and weaving them into their stories beautifully.
Seconded And I love, love, love my tech but can't get used to kindle. I need the sensual, visceral feel of a book in my hands.