Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #1
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent
A (non)success story about the Affordable Care Act

I want to share a success story (I say that sarcastically) about the Affordable Care Act.

Before I begin, I want to state that I don't usually get involved or start political threads here. I am compelled to write this post today to inform about what has happened to me personally, a regular working person in the US. Please do not allow my thread to degenerate into flame wars or personal attacks. Please do not get it closed.

I will start of by stating I am self employed and pay for my own insurance. This has been fine for the many years I've had it. I need health insurance because I have health issues, and you never know when something major may happen. I have high blood pressure, hypertension and require two different blood/heart medications, I have a regular primary care doctor I see every few months. My insurance allowed me to have co-pay at the doctor office, and a great prescription cost. My premium was $86.88 a month.

I got a letter in the mail last week from my insurance provider. It states: "We will not offer your health coverage next year. Your 2014 plan was not an ACA compliant plan and your current coverage will end on December 31st, 2014.". It goes on to state: "We have selected a new plan for you that's similar to your current plan. Your new premium starts in January. You'll pay $254.20 each month."

That is $167 more than I was paying each month for a health insurance plan that is ACA approved that was similar to the one I had before. Suffice it to say, I cannot pay this amount each month. It is too much for me. I now have to take the task of doing some major research to find an "affordable" health plan that I am able to pay each month. I must look for what kind of coverage is offered, and compare it what I had, and see what I can find.

I will use all the resources available to me, including the marketplace. My worry is that I am not going to get the same level of coverage I had previously for the same amount of money. My worry is that I am going to have to sacrifice coverage, either high deductibles, or no co-pay, or who knows what else, to get to the level of premiums I can afford.

There is a disparity between insurance plans and premiums for me before ACA and post-ACA. The ACA has so far negatively impacted me personally.

Thank you for reading, I just wanted to share this story about a regular American worker such as myself and what the ACA has done for me.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM   #2
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: A success story about the Affordable Care Act

Well, thanks for the completely dishonest thread title. That's sure to provoke a reasonable discussion in which people offer you useful information.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #3
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Gee, Brent, sounds like your insurance provider sucks.
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #4
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Sounds like the problem was with the insurance provider and not the ACA.
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #5
Locutus of Bored
Full Metal Bat'leth

Re: A (non)success story + bait & switch by OP about the ACA

Hey Brent, I've substituted a more accurate temporary title for your thread. If you'd like to revise your title to something more honest based on the actual content, please let me know.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #6
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Gee, Brent, sounds like your insurance provider sucks.
Certainly does.

1.) I am not able to keep my previous insurance plan because it wasn't ACA compliant.

2.) The premium for a plan that would the similar to the one I had is $167 more.

3.) I did not need nor want my insurance plan and coverage and premium to change. I did not ask for this. It is a situation being forced upon me because the plan was not an ACA compliant plan.

You can understand my frustration I hope.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #7
Brent
Admiral

Re: A (non)success story + bait & switch by OP about the ACA

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
Hey Brent, I've substituted a more accurate temporary title for your thread. If you'd like to revise your title to something more honest based on the actual content, please let me know.
It's fine, thanks.

Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #8
nightwind1
Commodore

Re: A (non)success story about the Affordable Care Act

So, your insurance company fucks you over, and it's the fault of the ACA?

You really need to stop watching Faux Noise so much...

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #9
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Brent wrote: View Post

There is a disparity between insurance plans and premiums for me before ACA and post-ACA. The ACA has so far negatively impacted me personally.

Thank you for reading, I just wanted to share this story about a regular American worker such as myself and what the ACA has done for me.
There is an old saying, "A camel is a horse made by committee." This saying sums up perfectly the ACA. You are not alone there are millions of hard working Americans in the same boat. The public can only hope that Congress forces Jonathan Gruber to testify under oath. The White House and senior Democrats can deny knowing him all they want but the money trail and paper trail are there. This is a fact checker article from the Washington Post (The newspaper that brought down the Nixon administration).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...dministration/

The American public was lied to, period.
Old Today, 12:15 AM   #10
Avon
Fleet Captain

the american healthcare system is crazy. but this is like a micro-babystep in the direction of the rest of the civilized world.

so you had to pay $167 more, thats not great. but all those people with pre-existing medical conditions can now get insurance. isn't that a good thing?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:25 AM   #11
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Have you tried shopping around on your state's insurance exchange or (if they don't have one) healthcare.gov? If you're low income, there should be plenty of heavily subsidized options available that, from the sound of it, will be much better than your old plan.
Old Today, 12:30 AM   #12
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Ooh! Ooh! My turn!

John: "Due to my financial situation, I will die if I don't get insurance."

*Qualified for the ACA*

*Didn't die*

John: "Hooray!"
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 AM   #13
Manticore
Rear Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Ooh! Ooh! My turn!

John: "Due to my financial situation, I will die if I don't get insurance."

*Qualified for the ACA*

*Didn't die*

John: "Hooray!"
And that alone makes it all worth it.
Old Today, 12:36 AM   #14
Whoa Nellie
Fleet Captain

Avon wrote: View Post
the american healthcare system is crazy. but this is like a micro-babystep in the direction of the rest of the civilized world.

so you had to pay $167 more, thats not great. but all those people with pre-existing medical conditions can now get insurance. isn't that a good thing?
That was the point. He has preexisting medical conditions, now his insurance costs more.
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #15
Avon
Fleet Captain

and other people were previously uninsurable for pre-existing things. but screw the people this helps, because its costing me something, right?

also the OP has come here to moan before he's even tried looking for a more affordable plan. priorities.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote