RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 146,300
Posts: 5,765,097
Members: 25,925
Currently online: 553
Newest member: Thebes News

TrekToday headlines

San Diego Comic-Con Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

First Three 2016 Trek Novel Details
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Spock Documentary Close To Funding Goal
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Retro Review: Heroes and Demons
By: Michelle on Jun 27

Spock Die Cut Mouse Pad
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26

Trek Actors Get A Raise
By: T'Bonz on Jun 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 22 2015, 04:30 AM   #1
JadziaDax
Commander
 
JadziaDax's Avatar
 
What does your garden look like?

Any members blessed with a green thumb? Not trying to limit this thread to users with lawns either - if you grow plants indoors, post 'em too! It's been a rough spring for me and I lost a lot of plants due to flooding in the past month. I've got a few going strong though and will take some pictures tomorrow for posting. I have cayenne peppers, habanero peppers, green peppers, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, cucumbers, and crookneck squash growing right now.

For the time being, here are some pictures of what my plants and seedlings looked like a few weeks ago.

from left to right: mini eggplant, green bell peppers, squash, green bell peppers, and more squash




JadziaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2015, 09:32 AM   #2
SPCTRE
Boobs
 
SPCTRE's Avatar
 
Location: So lifelike!
View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile
Re: What does your garden look like?

__________________
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2015, 11:45 AM   #3
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: What does your garden look like?

Last summer, sitting beneath my kitchen window (This was made into an Ambience for my phone, hence the looong format).




As you can see, the cardboard boxes came out rather nice last year... this season they had too much rain and came up all soggy and useless
__________________


Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2015, 07:45 PM   #4
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral
 
auntiehill's Avatar
 
Location: waterlogged
Re: What does your garden look like?

I don't have a garden. We have a patch of grass in the back, which we do nothing with. We have shrubs and trees in the front and one lantana in a pot. That's it.

I would like to have a garden but I do not have much of a green thumb. Hubby refuses to buy more plants, as he says it's an unnecessary expense. I can't really argue with that, since we don't use our backyard at all.
__________________
hillsville
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2015, 03:34 AM   #5
JadziaDax
Commander
 
JadziaDax's Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I don't have a garden. We have a patch of grass in the back, which we do nothing with. We have shrubs and trees in the front and one lantana in a pot. That's it.

I would like to have a garden but I do not have much of a green thumb. Hubby refuses to buy more plants, as he says it's an unnecessary expense. I can't really argue with that, since we don't use our backyard at all.
What about buying some seed packets? They're pretty cheap and if you use the paper towel method, it's not too difficult to germinate them. Even then, if you're not too successful, usually you get about a hundred seeds per packet so there's plenty of room for starting over. I've killed... I don't know how many plants in the past two months because of my own mistakes plus the torrential rain.

What is everyone else growing? I was proud of my squash and wanted to take a picture of the one I had growing in. I went to check on it last night and found a bunch of slugs devouring the damn thing. This morning it had fallen off the plant.
JadziaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2015, 03:57 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What does your garden look like?

JadziaDax wrote: View Post
I went to check on it last night and found a bunch of slugs devouring the damn thing. This morning it had fallen off the plant.
Be the star of the newest slug horror movie: Salt Shakers of Doom.

JadziaDax wrote: View Post
What is everyone else growing?
Tired. Of mowing.

I wish there was such a thing as an AstroTurf lawn...
__________________
"Pitching is simple -- cheese for the kitchen and a yakker for the kudo." - Dennis Eckersley
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2015, 01:26 PM   #7
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: What does your garden look like?

Right now our yard looks like crap.

We have four patches of lawn, two in the front and two in the back. We've torn them all up. The main front lawn we have seeded with a low-water breed of grass, and installed low-flow sprinkler heads. It's about 3/4 filled in. The other front lawn area is going to be river rocks and drought-tolerant plants with a drip line.

As for the former lawns in the back yard we are thinking we'll re-landscape the whole thing. Maybe a rock garden, pavers, stuff like that. Right now they're both just piles of dirt.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2015, 07:46 PM   #8
mari
Captain
 
mari's Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

My gardens are full of grass and weeds that are taller than me. I need to get out there and pull that garbage out, as we've got all sorts of actual flowers that would be beautiful if you could see them (some kind of orange lilies right now, and assorted roses). If it storms today, that'll soften up the ground and I can do some really good weeding.

I'd love to have a veggie garden someday, maybe when the baby is old enough to "help" and learn about how plants grow. We might try herbs in pots first, see if we can keep them alive.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
JadziaDax wrote: View Post
I went to check on it last night and found a bunch of slugs devouring the damn thing. This morning it had fallen off the plant.
Be the star of the newest slug horror movie: Salt Shakers of Doom.

JadziaDax wrote: View Post
What is everyone else growing?
Tired. Of mowing.

I wish there was such a thing as an AstroTurf lawn...
You and my husband with the AstroTurf. And he doesn't even mow, we rent from my parents and my father takes care of it.

Also, slugs love beer. They don't drink much, but once they're drunk they pretty much drown themselves. Problem solved!

1001001 wrote: View Post
Right now our yard looks like crap.

We have four patches of lawn, two in the front and two in the back. We've torn them all up. The main front lawn we have seeded with a low-water breed of grass, and installed low-flow sprinkler heads. It's about 3/4 filled in. The other front lawn area is going to be river rocks and drought-tolerant plants with a drip line.

As for the former lawns in the back yard we are thinking we'll re-landscape the whole thing. Maybe a rock garden, pavers, stuff like that. Right now they're both just piles of dirt.
This is a wonderful idea and more people ought to have gardens like that. I have friends in west Texas that have completely xeriscaped their yard - looks weird next to all the neighbors with their water-sucking lawns, but gorgeous on its own merits. When we eventually buy a house, I plan on making my yard drought-friendly. (And with minimal mowing!)
__________________
OmNomNomnomnomnomnomnomnom...
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2015, 09:54 PM   #9
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: What does your garden look like?

About an hour to midnight on this midsimmer eve, my little yard looks good from where I am lying...





(Sorry about the tacky lights, but this place is a dark an dismal place without just a bit of light.)
__________________


Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2015, 04:30 AM   #10
JadziaDax
Commander
 
JadziaDax's Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

Hey I think those lights are neat!

And I feel everyone with weed problems. This house came complete with a lawn full of Bermuda grass. It grows along a vine and takes over every area it can. I had to dig 6 inches deep to clear it all out for a garden space, and even now it's grown back in. All the flooding has done wonders for the stuff and kept me from having a chance to get rid of it. Now it's back to being hot and I'm struggling to take care of my plants let alone rip that crap up. In other news though, I've got about 7 cayenne peppers growing in, as well as 14 cherry tomatoes!!
JadziaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2015, 01:40 PM   #11
1001001
Let the Good Times Roll!!
 
1001001's Avatar
 
Location: People's Gaypublic of Drugafornia
Re: What does your garden look like?

mari wrote: View Post
1001001 wrote: View Post
Right now our yard looks like crap.

We have four patches of lawn, two in the front and two in the back. We've torn them all up. The main front lawn we have seeded with a low-water breed of grass, and installed low-flow sprinkler heads. It's about 3/4 filled in. The other front lawn area is going to be river rocks and drought-tolerant plants with a drip line.

As for the former lawns in the back yard we are thinking we'll re-landscape the whole thing. Maybe a rock garden, pavers, stuff like that. Right now they're both just piles of dirt.
This is a wonderful idea and more people ought to have gardens like that. I have friends in west Texas that have completely xeriscaped their yard - looks weird next to all the neighbors with their water-sucking lawns, but gorgeous on its own merits. When we eventually buy a house, I plan on making my yard drought-friendly. (And with minimal mowing!)
Well, it has to be done. We've taken a lot of steps to adjust to the drought, and lawns (while a bit expensive to replace) are hard to justify.

A lot of cities are helping homeowners with incentives to get rid of lawns and re-landscape. And I heard there is legislation brewing to limit lawn installation in new home construction, but I don't know where that is in the process.
__________________
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2015, 02:57 PM   #12
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

This year I am most excited about my raspberry "patch," which started from five little potted plants last year. At the bottom of the first pic is rhubarb, which is usually sprawling but is thin right now because my wife has been on a rhubarb dessert kick.









Not much to see in the veg garden right now. The seedlings in the foreground rows were wiped out by snails. After much snail killing, I have started over. They also got my English cucumbers, killed one and stunted the other two, hopefully they will recover. I don't want to go a summer without cucumbers.

In the background are the peppers, tomatoes, tomatillos and of course the zucchini, which are thriving. Chives and some potted herbs on the left, marjoram on the right. Grapes on the fence.




1001001 wrote: View Post
A lot of cities are helping homeowners with incentives to get rid of lawns and re-landscape. And I heard there is legislation brewing to limit lawn installation in new home construction, but I don't know where that is in the process.
I ripped out much of my front lawn two years ago, hope to do the same in the back within a year or two. I like mowing, actually, but it just doesn't make sense to carry on a lawn tradition that originated in England in a desert state.
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2015, 03:49 PM   #13
JadziaDax
Commander
 
JadziaDax's Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

Mmm rhubarb. Only had it once while I was living in Michigan, and it was amazing. I really need to look into whether I can successfully grow it here.

Btw, re: drought, it's completely messed up that California is experiencing one right now while we've been having torrential thunderstorms for the past month or two. I really wish there were a way to send the rain to the west. In Oklahoma, we've had a drought for several years, and everyone was excited when it started raining. ~2 months later and multiple historical bridges have been swept away in the water or had entire sections of them collapse. An entire park was turned into a giant pond to the point that houses bordering the park were partially under water.
JadziaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2015, 04:16 PM   #14
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

^ In my experience, rhubarb is a survivor and will grow in almost any decent draining soil with mostly direct sun. When I was a kid a neighbor moved and the house was vacant for a few years. Their garden was all gone to weeds, of course, except the rhubarb. Unattended and un-irrigated, it got to be about six feet across. I moved mine a few feet last year to make room for the raspberries; it slowed down and stayed small for about a month but by the end of the summer it was as big as ever.

As for rhubarb itself, people seem to love it or hate it. Also the leaves can make you very sick, so stay away from the green parts!
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26 2015, 07:52 PM   #15
JadziaDax
Commander
 
JadziaDax's Avatar
 
Re: What does your garden look like?

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to see if I can find some rhubarb seeds locally.
JadziaDax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.