RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,235
Posts: 5,406,322
Members: 24,762
Currently online: 612
Newest member: PaulHicks

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Online Adds More Voyager Actors
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

The Wil Wheaton Project Axed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Kurtzman’s Production Company Signs Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 2

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 4 2014, 10:52 PM   #1
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Selden, NY
View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile
The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

I still hate Star Trek for creating the Dreaded Summer CliffHanger!

Most shows use it now. And it really sucks. Especially in this day and age of preemptive Cancellations.

But, that is the only thing I hate about Star Trek.

What do you hate that Star Trek created?
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 10:55 PM   #2
urbandefault
Captain
 
urbandefault's Avatar
 
Location: Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

You don't want to know.
__________________
"Hello pants." - Gary Busey
urbandefault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:02 PM   #3
Campe98
Commodore
 
Campe98's Avatar
 
Location: Tennessee
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
I still hate Star Trek for creating the Dreaded Summer CliffHanger!
Star Trek certainly did not create the summer cliffhanger. It had been done for many years before, most notably with Dallas and "Who Shot J.R.?"
__________________
"Living is easy with eyes closed."
John Lennon, Strawberry Fields Forever
Campe98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:30 PM   #4
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Selden, NY
View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

Campe98 wrote: View Post
KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
I still hate Star Trek for creating the Dreaded Summer CliffHanger!
Star Trek certainly did not create the summer cliffhanger. It had been done for many years before, most notably with Dallas and "Who Shot J.R.?"
Well, it certainly popularized it.
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:48 PM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
Campe98 wrote: View Post
KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
I still hate Star Trek for creating the Dreaded Summer CliffHanger!
Star Trek certainly did not create the summer cliffhanger. It had been done for many years before, most notably with Dallas and "Who Shot J.R.?"
Well, it certainly popularized it.
No, not at all. The concept has ALWAYS been popular, going back as far as serialized short-movies in the 1930s and 1940s. The concept has always been around, leave the audiences wanting more.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
Campe98 wrote: View Post
KaineMorrison wrote: View Post
I still hate Star Trek for creating the Dreaded Summer CliffHanger!
Star Trek certainly did not create the summer cliffhanger. It had been done for many years before, most notably with Dallas and "Who Shot J.R.?"
Well, it certainly popularized it.
I don't know. The whole "Who shot J.R.?" thing was a huge national phenomenon, much more so than the Borg cliffhanger. Heck, I've never even seen a single episode of "Dallas" and I remember it being this big pop-culture event.
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:51 PM   #7
BigJake
Rear Admiral
 
BigJake's Avatar
 
Location: No matter where you go, there you are.
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

^ I think it's so well-remembered because didn't it have the most disappointing resolution of all time (the infamous "it was just a dream" episode)?
__________________
It's got electrolytes!
"I wanna read more" - Dennis "I . . . agree with everything you said" - SPCTRE "I blame Cracked" - J. Allen "Take me off" - The Stig
BigJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:55 PM   #8
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

BigJake wrote: View Post
^ I think it's so well-remembered because didn't it have the most disappointing resolution of all time (the infamous "it was just a dream" episode)?
Nope. You're conflating two separate events. The "It was just a dream" business was a different storyline, a few years later.

That's kind of like saying, "And then Locutus was defeated by Tasha Tar's half-Romulan daughter, right?"
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Armored Saint
Fleet Captain
 
Armored Saint's Avatar
 
Location: Quebec City
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

So, TNG created Dallas?
Armored Saint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 12:00 AM   #10
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QktVh64BYx4
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 12:46 AM   #11
J.T.B.
Commodore
 
J.T.B.'s Avatar
 
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't know. The whole "Who shot J.R.?" thing was a huge national phenomenon, much more so than the Borg cliffhanger. Heck, I've never even seen a single episode of "Dallas" and I remember it being this big pop-culture event.
"Best of Both Worlds" wasn't even the biggest summer cliffhanger of 1990, when Twin Peaks had become a pop-culture phenomenon.
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 01:05 AM   #12
KaineMorrison
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Selden, NY
View KaineMorrison's Twitter Profile
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

I didn't wach much TV back then.
If it wasn't for TV 55 here in NY, I don't think I'd have ever gotten into Star Trek.
KaineMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 01:17 AM   #13
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I don't know. The whole "Who shot J.R.?" thing was a huge national phenomenon, much more so than the Borg cliffhanger. Heck, I've never even seen a single episode of "Dallas" and I remember it being this big pop-culture event.
"Best of Both Worlds" wasn't even the biggest summer cliffhanger of 1990, when Twin Peaks had become a pop-culture phenomenon.
Right! Who killed Laura Palmer?
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 01:48 AM   #14
wulfio
Commander
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

Well if we`re going meta here and assuming that most scientists/engineers/etc. in the last 30 years or so were influenced by star trek.

Then I hate twitter and facebook. Which was made possible by the platform of the internet.

Damn you star trek.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2014, 03:46 AM   #15
JirinPanthosa
Commodore
 
Re: The "I hate that Star Trek created ____" Thread

I hate that Star Trek invented running two spinoffs of the same series at the same time.

CSI: Northwest Indiana, Sunglasses Edition
Law and Order: Parking Meters Unit
NCIS: Some guy's backyard in Kansas
Stargate: More unlikable characters in bizarre situations
Seth MacFarlane Show #7245: Another Family Guy clone only with a different chin

Sorry aspiring writers, you know how hard it is to compete with existing series, pandering variety shows and reality shows? Now you also have to compete with lame imitations of existing series.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.