Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate The Eternal Tide.
Outstanding 83 49.70%
Above Average 50 29.94%
Average 27 16.17%
Below Average 2 1.20%
Poor 5 2.99%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2 2012, 08:26 PM   #181
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: VOY: The Eternal Tide by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Janeway is a canon character with 7 TV seasons of episodes and character exploration.
That`s the problem, there is little left to learn about her.

It would be very difficult for a non - canon character introduced in the novels to EVER have the story potential that she does.
I see it completely different. There was/is little story potential left for her. Even her relationship with Chakotay could be seen as just a rehash of the Crusher/Picard thing in TNG. A new character has a lot more story potential, exactly because she doesn't have the burden of seven years of canon to limit the authors in what they can do with her.

As much as the fleet exploration concept was interesting, in practice it had to be a bear for the author to keep track of and organize. There are literally dozens of minor characters in that fleet that would have been difficult for any new author to depict properly and would have sent most readers to Memory Beta just so that they can remember who Lieutenant Wehardlyknewyee was.
Wow, am I the only one reading this as somewhat insulting to both the authors and readers? You're basically implying that they have to keep it simple because neither the authors nor the readers are able to handle a couple of new characters.

and now we can go back to the main characters - which is why we bought the book in the first place.
Speak for yourself.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 08:27 PM   #182
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

As to the whole "keeping the seat" warm issue.

Janeway is a canon character with 7 TV seasons of episodes and character exploration. It would be very difficult for a non - canon character introduced in the novels to EVER have the story potential that she does.
And yet other novel series have do just that and seem to be doing well. In fact I believe the whole relaunch thing was seen as feasible due to how well Star Trek: New Frontier, which had only a handful of canon characters in its cast was doing at the time.

besides the only difference between an non-canon and canon character is that one showed up on a TV series and the other didn't, big deal.

and now we can go back to the main characters - which is why we bought the book in the first place.
Speak for your self I like seeing new characters as it expands Star Trek instead of keeping it confined to the same groups of people. If Paramount and CBS had followed that logic Star Trek would have only consisted of TOS and its films.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 08:50 PM   #183
Sho
Fleet Captain

This is a relevant thread about that sub-topic btw.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:09 PM   #184
Scout101
Admiral

Kinda didn't like the arbitrary nature of the deaths. Losing half the fleet without much struggle or impact felt kinda empty/shallow, and limits the whole concept we had going, and the characters we just spent so much time putting together. Make a whole book about rebuilding the one crashed ship, and it has about 5 pages of screen time before it's lost again.

Chakotay gets a death pass, Eden's uncle gets a freebie, 4 ships stay lost. And Amanda Rogers written off almost without comment/impact.

A lot of this one just felt hollow. The Janeway parts felt fine, didn't have an issue there, just lost a lot of others without the emotional impact, and it was flip a coin whether Q gives them a do-over...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:35 PM   #185
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Only half way through.
I have nothing against Janeway, but deciding to kill off a character and bring them back when convenient or needed cheapen the concept of a heroine's death. With Slipstream drive, Janeazy should have gone back to Earth for more tests, including her fittest to command a fleet.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 09:49 PM   #186
Paris
Commodore

I just finished it. I blasted through it in a very short time by my standards. I'm terrible at reviews, but suffice it to say, I really enjoyed this book. I liked how it tied up a lot of loose ends, and I liked how Kathryn was brought back. I was never one of the people who was adament she come back; I just hoped that when it inevitably did happen, that she was brought back with care and for a reason. IMO, Kirsten achieved this.

It was too bad that we lost so many ships, but as far as i'm concerned, it just gives Kirsten a chance to bring other new ships and new characters into the narrative. With all the challenges in the AQ/BQ, it probably means we'll only get one at a time. Hopefully the Achilles will be on its way back as well..

I can't wait for the next one, and hope we continue to get at least one of these stories every year if possible.
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 12:08 AM   #187
KimMH
Rear Admiral

I do so hate wibbley wobbley timey wimey stuff. And frankly the tie into the String Theory Trilogy terrified me - that series almost made my eyes bleed with all that sciency stuff.

But I loved this book for admittedly fangurl reasons and am so glad to hear Kirsten is on board for another installment. I love her enthusiasm and hope everyone buys it to find out what is going on and reads the hell out of it!

DERANGED NASAT's observation that the book is meta and addresses the controversy that swirled around Janeway's death is right on target in my mind. I think I enjoyed it e ven more for that.
Old September 3 2012, 01:39 AM   #188
teacock
Admiral

It had better hurry up and arrive in my mailbox.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 01:48 AM   #189
JWolf
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
Little side note... Why does this book feel so thin? I mean, it's physically thinner then Raise The Dawn, but has about the same amount of pages. How come? Thinner paper? Different binding technique?
I know it has nothing to do with the actual story, but I just noticed it and found it interesting.
Get the eBook. It's a good size.
Old September 3 2012, 01:53 AM   #190
JWolf
Commodore

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
I really appreciate this review. You have pointed out everything I wish I was smart enough to say. Well done and well done Beyer!
It is really poor forum etiquette to quote a very large message and put in a short reply. You should have cut most of the original message before you replied. My suggestion is to ask for help in fixing this.
Old September 3 2012, 01:55 AM   #191
teacock
Admiral

^that's pretty funny considering you're double posting.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 02:03 AM   #192
JWolf
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
^that's pretty funny considering you're double posting.
You obviously don't know what double posting means. Double posting means posting the same message twice.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I'm a bit over half done. I should be finished on Monday sometime.
Old September 3 2012, 02:10 AM   #193
Christopher
Writer

^No, in my BBS experience (which includes a stint as a moderator a few years back), double-posting means making two consecutive posts in the same thread in a short period of time, which is generally frowned upon. It's a subset of spamming. What you're referring to is accidental double-posting, which can result from hitting the "Post" button twice.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2012, 02:53 AM   #194
Turbo
Vice Admiral

View Turbo's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Turbo

I'm going to write up a longer version of my thoughts soon, but my initial reaction is: "Holy cheese, that was awesome!" There were a lot of things I liked, and a couple I didn't, but it was overall fantastic. I'll miss Captain Eden, for sure, but I had a feeling after Children of the Storm that her story was coming to a climax soon.
Old September 3 2012, 03:47 AM   #195
Jedi_Master
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, except that the Full Circle fleet wasn't all together at any one time. Usually it was split up into thirds, or would've been if it had existed long enough to have a "usually." So they could've just acknowledged that the other ships were out there but focused just on Voyager and its two support ships. So whatever the reason was for this change, I don't think that was it.
Well I guess reading over my comments I could be implying that Kirsten was being lazy... and 86'd the fleet to save trouble. Seeing as she tackled the Janeway issue, AND wrote 4 books that averaged over 400 pages I would never call her lazy.

However when a plot contains a giant, implacable foe with the capability to destroy everything and everyone, it helps to have a few extra ships for the foe to destroy/absorb and spare the main characters. The fact that Ms. Beyer wrote in so many vessels and their commanders, lieutenants, engineers, etc. allowed for this kind of story to be told and still have some emotional resonance. Which is cool.
Jedi_Master is offline   Reply With Quote