Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 6 2012, 05:32 PM   #1
bfollowell
Commander

Main text font from Star Trek: Cast No Shadow?

This is going to sound silly but, does anyone know the name of the font used for the main text in the print version of Star Trek: Cast No Shadow?

I realize that it may seem crazy to many to worry about things like this but I hate it when my ebooks aren't right. Before reading a book, I always spend a few minutes looking for and correcting common errors and then changing things to suit my tastes. I've noticed that the Cast No Shadow epub has four fonts that aren't setup correctly and references several others that aren't included in the epub. I removed the unneeded fonts and added the four missing fonts from another Trek epub that did have those included. Now the chapter headers, etc. look dead on what they used in the print book. I'm assuming they likely used the actual font from the print version for the main text too but there's no reference to it and there are no other fonts included in this epub. I've looked online and checked the WhatTheFont website but haven't had a lot of luck matching it. I'd like to track this one down and add it manually if I could come up with the name or the name of one that closely matches.

Thanks to anyone that may recognize it.

- Byron
Old September 8 2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Main text font from Star Trek: Cast No Shadow?

well I thought it could be Garamond, but it seems you've already done some searching and now I'm not so sure. I do not have an e-book, but my hard copy looks like Garamond~ possible Cambria, but that seemed too big. If all else fails, why not just pick a font you like?
Lt. Zanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 07:32 PM   #3
bfollowell
Commander

Re: Main text font from Star Trek: Cast No Shadow?

I just wound up making the main text Charis, the Trek ebook font of choice until about a year ago when they started putting a whole bunch of fonts in each book to try and closer match the print versions.

Actually, once I assigned the main text to Charis and saw it on my Nook Tablet, it looks pretty darned close. The main difference is the quotes look different than in the print version but I didn't care for those anyway. The text is close enough to make me happy and, perfectionist though I am, it wasn't worth spending that much time on. I wanted to actually read the book!

Oh well, time to go finish the yard so I can start chapter two!

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Byron