Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old September 12 2012, 04:47 AM   #31
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: How many people aboard Enterprise ncc-1701

Timo wrote: View Post
Under Pike's command, she had about 206 crew.
Or at least Pike felt he was "responsible" for that number. Perhaps he didn't care all that much about the remaining 225?
I don't know if someone already brought up this possibility.

Captain Pike's crew count might have been much higher originally, but in addition to the people he lost recently on Rigil, Pike could have been losing groups of people in a series of event right from the start of that particular cruise. Pike's "world weariness" wasn't from responsibility in general and the loss of a handful of his crew, but from personally experiencing the loss of half of his crew over the last several months.

(Pike)... My only yeoman and two others dead, seven injured ... it seems to me the condition of our own crew takes precedent ...
So the Enterprise was going to pass by the (possible) survivors of a crashed Earth ship to replace 3 dead and 7 injured?

(Pike) ... we're going to stop first at the Vega Colony and replace anybody who needs hospitalization and also ...
Pike cut himself off at that point. Pike was speaking of replacing the 7 injured? Or was Pike placing a priority behind the Enterprise reaching the Vega colony because it might be his first chance to replace a large number of dead, and also many more injured than just the 7 from Rigil.

(Pike) ... I'm tired of being responsible for two hundred and three lives. I'm tired of deciding which mission is too risky and which isn't, and who's going on the landing party and who doesn't, and who lives and who dies. Boy, I've had it, Phil.
Does the "who lives and who dies" comment stem solely from the 3 deaths? All life is precious, but starship duty is depicted as dangerous, would Pike get this despondent from "just" 3 deaths, to the point of considering quitting?

Or was his despondency from losing half his crew?

Last edited by T'Girl; September 12 2012 at 05:01 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 04:59 AM   #32
Albertese
Commodore

^^^

THAT'S interesting. I had never thought of that.

--Alex
Old September 12 2012, 03:56 PM   #33
Robert Comsol
Commodore

This discussion just made me rethink what Captain Pike meant when he mentioned being tired to be responsible for "203 lives" (while I presume he includes the good doctor in his statement, it would also think he assumes responsibility for himself).

As the first ship of the new starship design, I can't imagine the other members of the UFP are just sitting still while the USS Enterprise is put to space with an exclusive homo sapiens club, so I guess the statement suggests various alien species serving on that vessel, too, and not just "men" or human "people".

As for the crew complement (compared to Kirk's Enterprise) I always thought that Pike's Enterprise still had many bulky technology on board before Starfleet engineers like Dr. Lawrence Marvick, the designer of Kirk's Enterprise (42 years old at the time of "Is There in Truth No Beauty?") freed up space to allow more living quarters and boost the crew complement to 430.

According to The Making of Star Trek the Enterprise is already 40 years old by the time of TOS. According to Admiral Morrow the Enterprise is 20 years old by the time of Star Trek III.
Considering the Pike Enterprise sustained heavy damage when Kirk and crew encountered the cosmic barrier in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" I never felt a quick repair job would have been sufficient to fix the damages, so I presume that Kirk got a new Enterprise Class vessel (Marvick design) which was probably intended to become USS Yorktown (indeed Kirk's ship was originally intended to be Yorktown before they changed the name to Enterprise).

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 08:16 PM   #34
Timo
Admiral

Might well be - but that would mean history would record the existence of an additional starship named Enterprise. And we get quite a few dialogue references to the number of starships named Enterprise, and there's never room for an additional one that Pike would have flown.

If anything, we would prefer there to have been fewer Enterprises than Kirk's, Harriman's, Garrett's and Picard's, so that these dialogue references could accommodate Archer's starship, too. But at least there we can say that Archer was a foreigner who did not serve in the UFP Starfleet and that his ship belonged to a foreign power, even though she indeed was a starship of the specified name. (Which incidentally means that there could have been plenty of starships of that name before NX-01, too, if the stories one day so require.)

I guess the statement suggests various alien species serving on that vessel, too, and not just "men" or human "people"
Semantically, I guess Pike isn't really concerned that he is responsible for these people (the way they comb their hair, they way they do their jobs), but specifically that he is responsible for these people's lives - whether they die or not. The dramatic choice of words would be dictated by that already.

Anyway, if he's only concerned about lives, he's excluding all those sapient computers so faithfully serving aboard his ship!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:34 PM   #35
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I can't imagine the other members of the UFP are just sitting still while the USS Enterprise is put to space with an exclusive homo sapiens club, so I guess the statement suggests various alien species serving on that vessel
There's conjecture that Number One is not a Human. Spock, of course, is Vulcan. Spock's assistant (seen briefly) has a interesting shiny skin appearance and could be of a different Federation species than the Humans aboard. So with the Humans, that makes four species just on the ship's bridge.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote