RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,713
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 885
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 26 2013, 05:47 PM   #271
USS Excelsior
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek: Renegades

And when will it get released by 2020 or something....
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2013, 05:41 PM   #272
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

More bickering, shooting and fighting... not interested.
Old December 30 2013, 10:48 PM   #273
geneo
Lieutenant

I wrote to Jay about doing a Kirk Trailer III and he said that he will consider it when a director is named for the next Trek movie but it took a lot of cgi work and such it may not be feasible. I'd love to see a full length movie based on this trailer.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2013, 10:50 PM   #274
geneo
Lieutenant

northstar wrote: View Post
I like the look of the new teaser, but as a teaser I think the first one is much better. It´s just talking people again as far as I can see and I still have no clue what´s it about. The new "enemy" is not very frightening at all, mostly because of his limited ability to speak - you should consider looping the audio on this one. The "scream" scene feels rather amateurish, probably also due to the less than perfect audio.

I´d love to have seen some location - planetary or bridges scenes - or even some starships. It is set in space, isn´t it?

So, all in all - a good base, but lots of room for improvement.
I believe the more donations they get the better quality of props, uniforms, effects, etc. will be.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 01:37 AM   #275
Danlav05
Lieutenant Commander

geneo wrote: View Post
I wrote to Jay about doing a Kirk Trailer III and he said that he will consider it when a director is named for the next Trek movie but it took a lot of cgi work and such it may not be feasible. I'd love to see a full length movie based on this trailer.
WHAT?! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE?! HALLEUJAH!

lol the Bring Back Kirk trailer was ahead of it's time, in 2004 the CGI was very rare - now every week something spectacular hits YouTube like a runaway train, like a minisode of The Eleventh Doctor and Sherlock meeting and the Justice League coming together PROPERLY showing Tom Welling as Superman. I wondered recently 'what if it was remade with today's technology'. The fact Jay said he'd consider it is music to my ears.

As for a full length film, yeah that would be great - the cast of Phase II on 24th Century sets (mind you characters would need to look like the older versions)?? - as you can see by my profile picture the idea is my OBSESSION

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92425

It would be a new chapter for Kirk and friends and I'm sure continuity can be reshaped (ignore the COUNTDOWN comics) what says it didn't happen?! It could be a fulllength fanedit based on the trailer but I guess the TOS crew would have to be back in the monster maroons then otherwise its tonnes of SFX. I like the idea of the McCoy EMH.

To get back on topic and not into trouble Admiral Chekov could feature? We've also got new footage of Ambassador Spock - I've never spoken to Jay but I'd be happy to help with new story ideas.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 06:55 AM   #276
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
geneo wrote: View Post
WHAT?! I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE?! HALLEUJAH!

lol the Bring Back Kirk trailer was ahead of it's time, in 2004 the CGI was very rare - now every week something spectacular hits YouTube like a runaway train, like a minisode of The Eleventh Doctor and Sherlock meeting and the Justice League coming together PROPERLY showing Tom Welling as Superman. I wondered recently 'what if it was remade with today's technology'. The fact Jay said he'd consider it is music to my ears.

As for a full length film, yeah that would be great - the cast of Phase II on 24th Century sets (mind you characters would need to look like the older versions)?? - as you can see by my profile picture the idea is my OBSESSION

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=92425

It would be a new chapter for Kirk and friends and I'm sure continuity can be reshaped (ignore the COUNTDOWN comics) what says it didn't happen?! It could be a fulllength fanedit based on the trailer but I guess the TOS crew would have to be back in the monster maroons then otherwise its tonnes of SFX. I like the idea of the McCoy EMH.

To get back on topic and not into trouble Admiral Chekov could feature? We've also got new footage of Ambassador Spock - I've never spoken to Jay but I'd be happy to help with new story ideas.
Christ on a pogo stick, NO.

That trailer was fine for it's time. The "ingenuity" of it on a low-rent, low-budget scale was neat to behold in 2004 but it was also the most fan-wanky-est and every-thing-in-the-kitchen-sink kind of video that has come to define bad fan fiction and fan films.

In short, give me less crossovers, pew pew pew space battles and more characterization and decent story, thank you.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2013, 11:36 AM   #277
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I thought the BBK trailer was intended as an over-the-top parody, crossing everything over and having Kirk save the day?
Old December 31 2013, 03:14 PM   #278
Tom
Rear Admiral

The BBK trailer... It was 'fun'.. LOL
Old January 7 2014, 03:22 PM   #279
curtiskoeppel
Ensign

I have read in various places that there is no way CBS is going to pick up Renegades in any form, be it TV or web series, so why can't it keep going like all the other fan funded shows, why stop at just the pilot if CBS says no, like I have heard they are going to
curtiskoeppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 06:23 PM   #280
Tom
Rear Admiral

Again, if they are not interested, then it get released a film. so its win/win for the fans in either case.
Old January 7 2014, 06:27 PM   #281
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Look at it this way: Either way, the team at Renegades is making the best film they can make. Perhaps such a motivation as possibly selling the project to Paramount motivates the production further. And as Tom said, that's win-win either way.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 07:29 PM   #282
Bixby
Lieutenant Commander

I want this to succeed, if only because I really like Russ, Koenig and Picardo as actors. Succeed artistically speaking, of course. Will it convince the money men to finance any future follow-ups? THAT is a tough question to answer...

Seeing as the JJ Abrams version of Star Trek is a real money-maker while the last TNG films were not as much, they probably will refuse to place it on any network timeslot. Since it doesn't have a proven leading man type to sell the show to average joe viewers, I think the best it might hope for would be like the Greg Nicotero-directed WALKING DEAD webisode series: episodic stories with a definite ending, a modest budget.

But WALKING DEAD is a ratings juggernaut and pitching the webisodes was likely a no-brainer. Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica would probably have been also an easy sell on webisodes had the concept of webisodes been around back then...

Star Trek Renegades needs to appeal to a whole mess' o folks, bottom line...
Bixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:31 PM   #283
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I have said this on Facebook and I will say this here:
A fan film is art and recreation.
A pilot done by an actor or other Hollywood type is a tax deductible business expense.

Why call it a pilot? It lets Uncle Sam pitch in on the costs.

Others have gotten somewhat 'in' on this action by forming themselves as 'artistic' and 'educational' organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

I believe some of the fan film groups have already gotten themselves tax frees status. There are others that I think would easily get it, too.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:41 PM   #284
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Barbreader wrote: View Post
I have said this on Facebook and I will say this here:
A fan film is art and recreation.
A pilot done by an actor or other Hollywood type is a tax deductible business expense.

Why call it a pilot? It lets Uncle Sam pitch in on the costs.

Others have gotten somewhat 'in' on this action by forming themselves as 'artistic' and 'educational' organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

I believe some of the fan film groups have already gotten themselves tax frees status. There are others that I think would easily get it, too.
Why do fan film groups need tax free status when there is no income/profit?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:22 PM   #285
Tom
Rear Admiral

It is a pilot because it is designed that way and will be presented to CBS. Even if they say no, it is still a pilot (as well as a film).

When various production teams present pilots to networks every year, even though some are rejected, those productions are still considered pilots, some find a way of airing (internet etc..) and some just get buried and never seen again.

Most of the time, the process is, an idea gets pitched, if a network likes it they commission funding to have the pilot made (usually in there own studios). If the pilot they funded does not live up to what they envisioned it can either be re-shot or scrapped. Since the network paid for the production of the pilot they don't allow it to be seen by the public (usually but not in all cases).

The other scenario is a pilot gets made with funding from either from the producers of the project or perhaps crowd funding (as is growing more prevalent these days). It is pitched to the network, if they reject it and other outlets reject it, there is nothing stopping the producers from releasing it on the internet if they so choose. If the network accepts it, they can either use the existing pilot, or in some cases have it re-shot in there studios with there resources and processes (union contracts etc..).

Remember Star Trek's pilot (The Cage) was rejected in 1964 but NBC agreed to commission a second pilot with changes. Also 'Lost in Space' also had an original pilot that was never aired (no Doctor Smith or the Robot) but they commissioned another pilot making changes.

So where STR is concerned, there is a limitation that you can only pitch is to CBS (as the copyright holder). They could be interested in the concept and effort but possibly want the pilot re-shot under there studios and guidelines with changes. That would mean re-negotiated contracts with the principle actors etc... They could also want the original pilot intact. Our angle is not just TV or bust, but possibly a CBS sanctioned web series. If they reject it all together then the production turns into a 'fan film' classification, whereas, it can just be released profit-free on the internet.

One thing that is interesting about STR, is no-one else has made there own Star Trek production with professional actors for the purpose of pitching it. We know there have been a few 'pitches' to CBS, but they have just been of various producers idea's of what they want for a new Trek series.

We are going to show CBS something tangible. Again, if rejected at least it will further show CBS execs how hungry fans are for a new Star Trek series. Now that it is at the level where pilots are going beyond just pitched ideas, and are being produced to push for a series.