Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old November 12 2014, 07:02 AM   #1
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Star Trek ~ Project Potemkin "Holding Pattern" S03-A NOW ON-LINE

S03-A "Holding Pattern"
http://youtu.be/6bhRE47Vdks

Till death do us part... Ensign T'Noshi awakens in a strange bed, in a strange house, on a strange, rainy world. Strangest of all is the man sleeping beside her. A man who claims to be her husband.

Starring Jeffrey Green, Aaron Renfroe and Christin Woods. Written by David Eversole. Directed by Randall Landers. Edited by Randall Landers. VFX by Chris Cameron and Randall Landers. Music by Tony Lunn. Co-Executive Producer: Rick Foxx. Web Series Creator/Executive Producer: Randall Landers.

Running time: 12 mins 13 sec

http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 11:32 AM   #2
northstar
Lieutenant

Re: Star Trek ~ Project Potemkin "Holding Pattern" S03-A NOW ON-LINE

Very nice! I really like the story. Unfortunately, there are many technical flaws that make it look unpolished and rushed.
- the sound is sometimes not understandable
- the greenscreen is really badly composed
- if you film in a hotel room, at least paint out the "house" rules on the door...
- why is it raining? And if it is raining, why are the clothes of the actors all dry? I guess this is part of the story or the setting, but it does not come across very well.

It shows a lot of potential, but it could have used a couple of more weeks of finalizing.
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Actually this episode spent more time in post than any other.

The sound problem was worked on by four different folks in post production, and two different ADR sessions failed to produce a solution. Finally, our IT guy went through the entire sound gear and found that one adapter (a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter) was not functional. That one adapter apparently has caused most, of not all of our problems. It's been replaced, but its use has been greatly damaging to our production.

The green screen was our first attempt at such, so we learned a lot from it. Frankly, I don't think it's "badly composed," but your mileage and all that.

We actually did paint out the hotel rules digitally, but it still looked like a hotel room. So we decided to make it a part of the production. They're in their starter apartment.

It actually was raining the entire production. We augmented the rain digitally, but it's also supposed to be part of Perez's breakdown.
Old November 12 2014, 08:33 PM   #4
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks, George, for the review! Yes, we know we have some short comings on the technical side, but we hope the story and the acting are compelling enough to help folks get past those flaws. Christin, in particular, did an amazing job with her performance, and problems aside, I'm very proud of this production.

R

PS: Chris Cameron's new opening sequence was based on feedback we received here that our opening credits sequence had been dragging. So we are listening. We just have a long way to go.
Old November 12 2014, 10:26 PM   #6
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

As always, thank you, George. A refreshingly honest critique from you is always to be desired. It has already been copied and transferred to my file of select reviews.

Sir Rhosis
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12 2014, 10:35 PM   #7
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Kudos to people who produce things. Time, energy, money, stress. Thank you.
Old November 12 2014, 10:43 PM   #8
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks, Plynch! This one was a very stressful production.
Old November 12 2014, 11:20 PM   #9
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Since sound seems to be a recurring problem for Potemkin I'm going to stick my neck out here in hopes of being helpful.

The biggest issue with the audio other than the levels and the mix (seriously, the music needs to be dialed down or out if the dialog is hard to hear), is the on/off nature of the sound which plagues the opening scene. There's a saying in the recording biz that goes "did he make the edit?", meaning, if you can't hear the edit, it's good. Conversely, if you can hear it, it's wrong. Sadly, here the audio comes on and goes off like a switch.

The fix to this is to use "room tone" to fill in the gaps and get a consistent sound across the scene. Yes, you'll hear the same hum as in the audio when the people are speaking, but that is a lot less distracting than repeatedly hearing the sound switch on and off. You learn to tune out the tone if it's consistent, but when it's inconsistent it keeps hitting you in the ears every few seconds and you can't ignore it.

If necessary you can lift such sound from the dead-air spots in the dialog scenes if you didn't record room tone.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; November 13 2014 at 08:13 AM.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2014, 01:10 AM   #10
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Like I said, it was a faulty adapter. A $2 adapter. It's been replaced. But we had several folks take a stab at cleaning it up, and believe me, this was the best result. The reason it sounds like there's at least 4 ADR sessions is because there were. The final result is a compilation of the best takes of the sessions.
Old November 13 2014, 01:18 AM   #11
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Like I said, it was a faulty adapter. A $2 adapter. It's been replaced. But we had several folks take a stab at cleaning it up, and believe me, this was the best result. The reason it sounds like there's at least 4 ADR sessions is because there were. The final result is a compilation of the best takes of the sessions.
Understood, but the audio still could have been evened out using the method I suggested.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2014, 01:28 AM   #12
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Understood. That's another reason why the rain background sound is ever present.

BTW, the video is now up and running on Vimeo:
http://vimeo.com/111675623
Old November 13 2014, 10:40 AM   #13
northstar
Lieutenant

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post

The green screen was our first attempt at such, so we learned a lot from it. Frankly, I don't think it's "badly composed," but your mileage and all that.
It´s a decent approach for a first time, but seeing the green outline in the final composite is a no-go. If you do it again, try to match the light from the scene you´re going to put it in and use some spill reduction to well, reduce the green spill. Greenscreen done right is still a laborious task - sometimes it´s easier or cheaper to film on location or build a set.
northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2014, 12:18 PM   #14
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

First off, I have to say that I am NOT a "professional sound guy" when it comes to video production. I have zero experience in running a boom and very little in handling a mixer. That said, I DO have decades of experience in radio and in figuring out how to get someone's voice onto a recording medium. One thing that should always be avoided whenever possible is the use of adapters. Unfortunately, as Randy and Company have learned the hard way, adapters can fail, go bad or be broken. They can also break off inside a mixer. It's taken as an article of faith in audio production circles that using adapters also increases the amount of noise in the feed and a loose connection can cause a hum that can range from barely audible to enough to wreck an entire recording session. The solution is pretty simple: buy a cord with a plug that fits to begin with. The preferred plug is a three-pin XLR connector. It's rugged and provides solid connection. The next would be a 1/4 inch "phone plug", followed by a 1/8 inch "mini plug" (like the ones that connect headphones to iPhones). There's also the perception that making a connection by one or more adapters looks amateurish. (No reflection on Randy and Co. who make no bones about the many lessons they've learned the hard way). Not that there's anything wrong with having plenty of adapters in your kit bag. Better to have it and not need it, than...well... you know. Please keep in mind this is all my opinion, albeit one that is born out of many years of trial and error.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13 2014, 05:18 PM   #15
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

northstar wrote: View Post
It´s a decent approach for a first time, but seeing the green outline in the final composite is a no-go. If you do it again, try to match the light from the scene you´re going to put it in and use some spill reduction to well, reduce the green spill. Greenscreen done right is still a laborious task - sometimes it´s easier or cheaper to film on location or build a set.
I went and looked at the YouTube version and saw what you meant. That was not visible in Adobe CC 2013. However, it apparently popped up when I transitioned the footage to CC 2014 last week. It was a threshold incompatibility, and I corrected that yesterday and uploaded the revised version to Vimeo.

That structure is actually a public bathroom at dog park in Alpharetta Georgia, 220 miles from Albany. Christin and Aaron were on-location in the rain. (They don't get wet because they're under an overhang.) Jeff was added in much later using the green screen at our studio.