Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 22 2012, 07:14 PM   #1
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

TrekLit in Television/Movies

Hey all,

This may seem like a really random topic but it's TrekLit related so here it goes:

I was watching an episode of Roseanne (titled Pretty in Black) and noticed that the character of Darlene Conner was reading an old TOS novel.

She can also be seen reading a different TOS novel (can't recall the title) in another episode.

Have you guys ever seen a character from either a television show and/or movie reading a Star Trek book? If so, have you read that particular book and what did you think of it?

If not, has that character influenced you into reading that Trek novel?
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: TrekLit in Television/Movies

Not quite an answer to your question but in Father Ted in one occasion, the title character announced that he was (re)reading William Shatner's TekWar. The fact that he is reading this is basically meant to be funny of itself.

Later in the episode, on a quiz show, Ted correctly answers 5 out of 5 questions about TekWar but is unable to name the current Pope!

Here's the ep if you're interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzgSx...has_verified=1
Old August 22 2012, 10:34 PM   #3
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

In an episode of The Dead Zone, unsold copies of the novelization of Star Trek Insurrection are seen.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

^Which, of course, was TDZ showrunner/INS scripter Michael Piller poking fun at himself.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Dantheman
Lieutenant Commander

ICW wrote: View Post
I was watching an episode of Roseanne (titled Pretty in Black) and noticed that the character of Darlene Conner was reading an old TOS novel.

She can also be seen reading a different TOS novel (can't recall the title) in another episode.
Wouldn't surprise me none if the geeky touches that were given to Darlene were Joss Whedon's handiwork when he worked as a writer on Roseanne, before he was fired during one of Roseanne Barr's occasional writing staff purges. I mean, if the posters hanging on her bedroom wall were anything to go by, she read Neil Gaiman's Sandman, for crying out loud!
Dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

An issue from DC's first run of TOS comics can be seen on the comic book stand in The Lost Boys.

I added that tidbit to the issue's Memory Beta page, and I'd suggest these other appearances be added there, too (once the specific novels are identified).

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 09:01 PM   #7
JD
Admiral

I'm honestly kind of surprised that we haven't seen any Trek comics in The Big Bang Theory. It seems like a no brainer to me that the characters (or at least Sheldon) would read them, since they love Trek and comics.
Old August 24 2012, 03:31 PM   #8
Fer
Commander

I've noticed that the majority of comics we see on Big Bang Theory are from DC (although I have noticed the occasional Dark Horse title in the comics shop). Not sure if there's a Warner Bros connection there or not. Perhaps it's because Trek is currently published by IDW? You would think with the extensive run of Star Trek comics that DC did that we might at least see some old issues laying around...
Old August 26 2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

DS9forever wrote: View Post
In an episode of The Dead Zone, unsold copies of the novelization of Star Trek Insurrection are seen.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Which, of course, was TDZ showrunner/INS scripter Michael Piller poking fun at himself.
Mm-hmm! And of course--good old Johnny Smith ends up buying a lot of copies, as I recall....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:44 PM   #10
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
I'm honestly kind of surprised that we haven't seen any Trek comics in The Big Bang Theory. It seems like a no brainer to me that the characters (or at least Sheldon) would read them, since they love Trek and comics.
The only merchandise you see on The Big Bang Theory are items that are produced by one of the subsidiaries of the show's production company, Time Warner.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

^Wasn't there an episode involving a life-size standup of Spock? I guess they must've paid a license fee to CBS/Paramount for that, so it's not something they'd do all the time.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

^Wasn't there an episode involving a life-size standup of Spock? I guess they must've paid a license fee to CBS/Paramount for that, so it's not something they'd do all the time.
There was also that ep with the vintage Spock action figure and transporter set. And occasionally you see some STAR WARS merchandise.

But, yeah, most of the comic book stuff is from DC, athough the the dialogue occasionally contains references to the Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.
Old August 26 2012, 10:56 PM   #13
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I dunno. CBS/Paramount would get good publicity from those scenes. Fees, if owing, might have been waived. (Used "with kind permission".)
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 11:04 PM   #14
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

Hey all!

I have found the clip of Darlene reading a Star Trek novel. It's from the season 4 episode titled "Bingo", which you can see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfQtr...feature=relmfu

At about 25 seconds, Darlene (who is seated at the table) flips over her book where you can see the words "STAR TREK" at the top of the novel as well as a picture of Captain Kirk and another figure I can't identify.
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 11:19 PM   #15
CaseyF
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like she was reading The Rift, by Peter David. If I'm correct, the other figure on the cover is a young {circa-The Cage} Spock.
CaseyF is offline   Reply With Quote