Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 11 2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Kastrol
Ensign

Bring Back Kirk Trailer 1.5

Hello guys.

I'm a rather large fan of the Bring Back Kirk campaign, especially their second trailer which has been doing the rounds for many years now. I'm currently looking into doing some kind of visual reconstruction of the story.

During the course of that, I spoke with a couple of the makers of the trailer and was given permission to share this. It is the original edit of the second trailer. While it is no match for the eventual nine minute trailer, it does contain a couple of different FX shots and is an interesting look at the way the later trailer came about.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrmkwNCXV7E
Kastrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 02:30 AM   #2
Danlav05
Commander

Re: Bring Back Kirk Trailer 1.5

I too am a big fan of BBK Trailer 2 but this is a good cut - I see a few bits left out of the more well-known trailer; the orbiting the sun way back I prefer than Spock's opening a doorway and beaming Kirk and Archer out; it's just smoother.

I've known Kastrol for some years and we have done primarily tests on the visual piece he mentions (full credit to Gazomg who has done some art for us), it's going to be an amazing project that I'm proud to be a part of. We will be using storytelling techniques not seen in a Star Trek project before. It'll be interesting to see if this feels like a TOS movie or TNG movie with TOS characters.

If the stars align Shatner may be joining Nimoy in the JJ Universe come 2016 but the original timeline is not dead; many have wanted the gang back in the 24th Century with Picard and co as a sort of 'Justice League of Trek'. The trailer has provided the perfect storyline.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2014, 09:32 PM   #3
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

I remember the trailer from when it was first released. It's as schlocky now as it was then. Perhaps more so.

On the basis of the trailer alone, you have to give the guys who made it an "A" for effort, but it's just so much fanwank it's incredibly difficult to take seriously.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 12:38 AM   #4
Danlav05
Commander

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
I remember the trailer from when it was first released. It's as schlocky now as it was then. Perhaps more so.

On the basis of the trailer alone, you have to give the guys who made it an "A" for effort, but it's just so much fanwank it's incredibly difficult to take seriously.
It is totally very fanwanky but I am a junkie for the stuff! I think that was the whole intention - all five Captains, cameos from other familiar faces plus it gave closure to the Temporal [Cold] War storyline. In a way with the revival of Kirk it felt like a [happy] closing piece to the whole franchise at that time (around 2005 believe it or not! It was revolutionary at the time but now look at what incredible talent is sprawling up all over YouTube).

Even though it's dubbed a 'trailer' it is a 9minute narrative piece with a beginning, middle and end. It was weird but great to see Kirk, Spock and Scotty in the newer uniforms with Holo-McCoy in Voyager-design sickbay. The trailer felt like something new but truly classic Trek.

I always say that it is the third chapter for Kirk and friends following the Five Year Mission [Chapter 1] and the Movie Era [Chapter 2] but still true to the 24th Century canon we know.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 03:02 PM   #5
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Bring Kirk into the 24th century was always a fanwanky idea. I love in jokes (well a lot of them) and like seeing continuity, but this just never appealed to me for all the reasons doubleohfive mentions.

YMMV of course.

Last edited by USS Intrepid; October 12 2014 at 07:51 PM.
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

I watched it, then added it to my list of trailers with no films, http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/202.html
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Kirk did exist in the 24th century just not for very long.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote