Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 11 2013, 03:36 AM   #1
propita
Rear Admiral

Never noticed this before

How many times have you watched a film for the umpteenth time and noticed something for the first time?

I was watching the start of "Big." All this time, I've thought that Josh Baskin's parents were divorced or something. But at the start of the film, when his mother calls him to take out the trash, a male voice asks something like, "didn't you hear your mother?"

Now, I know that doesn't mean father, but I'll go by the CC, which says the voice is "Mr. Baskin."

What's really stupid of me is that they even SHOW the father, when they're at the carnival before Josh first sees the Zoltan machine.

I wonder why that got so minimized in my mind all these years.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 03:52 AM   #2
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Never noticed this before

In Star Wars, the lasers have a stun setting.

They use it once, in the first five minutes, and never again for the entire franchise.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 04:36 AM   #3
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Watching Cloud Atlas, Frobisher listens to Ayers talk about the music he heard in a dream, and says "When you aren't thinking about it, it will come to you," or some such thing we've all heard before. Ayers says to him that he is naive. Frobisher responds - with much certainty - "I'm anything but."

But what's interesting about this is that, earlier in the film, when Kesselring, who is from Germany, visits, Ayers and Frobisher later discusses how Kesselring could never be with Jocasta, the Jewish woman. Frobisher asks why not, and Ayers condemns him for his naivete, saying "can you really be that ignorant of what's happening in Germany?"

In fact, Frobisher is quite naive throughout the movie. That naivete allows him to believe in reincarnation, which does come to pass.
Old July 11 2013, 05:04 AM   #4
the G-man
Commodore

propita wrote: View Post
How many times have you watched a film for the umpteenth time and noticed something for the first time?

I was watching the start of "Big." All this time, I've thought that Josh Baskin's parents were divorced or something. But at the start of the film, when his mother calls him to take out the trash, a male voice asks something like, "didn't you hear your mother?"

Now, I know that doesn't mean father, but I'll go by the CC, which says the voice is "Mr. Baskin."

What's really stupid of me is that they even SHOW the father, when they're at the carnival before Josh first sees the Zoltan machine.

I wonder why that got so minimized in my mind all these years.
Same thing happened with me. I didn't realize it until you just posted this.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 05:56 PM   #5
propita
Rear Admiral

I asked my husband last night--in "Big," were the parents divorced or was the mother widowed or was the father present? He said he thought they were divorced, but...

I told him that not only is there a man's voice, not only do they show the father at the carnival...then Hubby finished the sentence. "Josh took his dad's clothes."

All these very visible points and we never remembered he was in the movie! Kinda feel sorry for the actor. Maybe it's because the mother got all the best lines.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

This just happen with me and the movie, How To Train Your Dragon. HTTYD is my oldest sons favorite movie, he's four and watches it a few times a week. So I have probably seen or half watched this movie hundred times by now. When Hiccup is given his helmet by his dad Stoick, he tells him it was made from his mothers breast plate. I never caught that little tidbit before. Then when Stoick leaves Hiccup thanks him for the Breast hat. I actually had to rewind the Blu-ray to make sure what I heard and after confirming it, I laughed out loud.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

The "twist ending" to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is stated obviously right at the beginning of the movie. I don't know how I missed that several times.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2013, 06:06 PM   #8
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

TV-wise, I never noticed until long after ST:TNG ended that Betazoid eyes are all black.
Old July 14 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Mojochi
Commodore

Daniel Plainview's (Daniel Day-Lewis) son in There Will Be Blood is not his actual son. I must have been drifting at the beginning, & just mesmerized by Day-Lewis' performance or something, that it got past me. I really don't know how. It's pretty plain
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Credit this to a recent Cracked article: towards the beginning of Jurassic Park, Grant solves his helicopter seatbelt problem by tying two "male" ends together; this foreshadows the revelation that the dinosaurs' genders are somewhat fluid.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2013, 05:21 PM   #11
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Did anyone else ever notice the gun that the Scarecrow carries in The Wizard of Oz?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jinxo/ozgun.html
Old July 18 2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
This just happen with me and the movie, How To Train Your Dragon. HTTYD is my oldest sons favorite movie, he's four and watches it a few times a week. So I have probably seen or half watched this movie hundred times by now. When Hiccup is given his helmet by his dad Stoick, he tells him it was made from his mothers breast plate. I never caught that little tidbit before. Then when Stoick leaves Hiccup thanks him for the Breast hat. I actually had to rewind the Blu-ray to make sure what I heard and after confirming it, I laughed out loud.
There's also Hiccup's final test, when Astrid goes on her little rant, they left the actresses full rambling in the scene so you hear her drop the f-bomb only a couple of seconds in as she leaves the screen.
Chemahkuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 03:42 AM   #13
Tulin
Vice Admiral

In TESB when Luke jumps down into the shaft to follow Vader you can actually hear a little "boing" bounce sound as Luke jumps on the small trampoline. A second later his head bounces back up into frame.
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2013, 05:54 AM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

In that ENT episode where the Xindi attack Earth, and Archer is watching footage from the Vulcan starship that had earlier entered the Delphic Expanse (and its crew came out insane), some of the Vulcans in that clip are trying to do the Vulcan Death Grip. Which does not actually exist!
Old July 19 2013, 07:13 AM   #15
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post
Did anyone else ever notice the gun that the Scarecrow carries in The Wizard of Oz?

http://home.earthlink.net/~jinxo/ozgun.html
I've seen topic being discussed recently on IMDB. I always remember seeing the gun, but I don't understand that the big deal about it is all of a sudden. The Munchkin soliders had rifles and no one makes a big deal about that.

So I'm wondering if its an anti-gun thing or just someone without a brain having a gun (which I guess the anti-gun people would love as a symbolic methaphor or something).