Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 24 2012, 02:51 AM   #91
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider
Re: No News, No Nothing!!

The Superbowl is either the last Sunday in January, or the first Sunday in February. The 2013 Superbowl is February 3. . .

(edited for stupid typo)

~FS
Old August 24 2012, 02:53 AM   #92
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

TOO FAR AWAY.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 24 2012, 02:59 AM   #93
FarStrider
Commander

Patience, Grasshopper. . .

If they stay true to the way they marketed the first film, then around the time of the first trailer in November, there will be a serious press campaign with a major release of footage. . .that's when things will start ramping up.

~FS

Last edited by FarStrider; August 24 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old August 24 2012, 03:05 AM   #94
Skywalker
Admiral

We don't even know which teams are playing yet!
Old August 24 2012, 03:11 AM   #95
teacake
Admiral

And in my case, I never will

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 24 2012, 03:17 AM   #96
FarStrider
Commander

Skywalker wrote: View Post
^^^^^^^^^ True. But we know it is New Orleans, and we know it is Feb. 3. . .and I will bet that we know that a commercial for ST12 will air at least once (during the first half) but most likely twice. . .

~FS
Old August 24 2012, 03:28 AM   #97
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Heh, I must be the only woman in the world who doesn't think Cumberbatch is hot. I don't really want to look at him, but I do want to look at ST:XII teases. I'm quite amused at the way they keep dropping hints, backtracking etc..
Heh, read Temis The Vorta's posts, she's at least as not interested as you in finding him hot, and maybe even moreso, LOL

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 24 2012, 03:29 AM   #98
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

FarStrider wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
^ I wouldn't let it get to you. I don't care whether they post spoilers or not. I'm happy with the set pics we already got, but I do agree about one thing, kind of. If they don't want to release any details about the villain, like the name, then they should stop parading Cumberbatch out to talk about his mysterious character and the movie, and they should stop making references to how well he did playing the role. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I have a secret. A really great secret. It's going to blow your mind when you find out. It's sooo good, but you have to wait a year to find out what it is." To me, that's not too cool, but it's easy to ignore it I guess. *Shrugs*
Yeah, that's basically what gets to me. We constantly have Abrams and his cohorts in interviews going on "this movie is so awesome and epic and game changing and mind blowing and amazing. But we're not telling you anymore." Why bother to tell us even that much if yo're not going to deliver anything more concrete?

Oh well, soon enough there'll be a massive deluge of photos, clips and info, and then we're going to hear poeple bitching about "Now we know too much." The fun of the internet.
So, what I'm reading here is that basically when they go on interviews about the other projects that they are involved with, and are asked about Star Trek, you guys want them to say "No comment." Because, you know. . .JJ Abrams is not parading anyone out to talk about any facet of Star Trek that I know of. . .

Star Trek is obviously one of the most anticipated films for next year: reporters keep asking the stars, writers, producers and director about it in the hopes of scooping each other with some fresh tidbit, even if it is something as silly as the fact that Cumberbatch's character is wearing leather for most of movie . . .
Hello FarStrider,

That may be what you are "getting," but that's not what I'm saying. Did you not notice that I said I was happy to begin with and that I enjoyed the "leaked" set pics that we got. I'm very appreciative of them.

Also, if you look at the previous page of this thread, you'll see that I linked to an interview with Cumberbatch where he answers a couple of Star Trek related questions, and I had and have no complaints. I don't mind them answering direct questions, but when they all start chiming the same thing at the exact same time and none of it adds anything to what we know about the film, well that can get a little tiring. Oh, you also might have missed where I said I guessed that was easy enough to ignore. I'm really not sure what you are complaining about in reference to the short discussion I had with Wormhole.

but really, the way summer blockbuster movie marketing generally works is that six months out from the premiere you will get the 1st trailer, then the first TV ad will be in the Superbowl. . .3 months out you will get the second trailer, and in the two months leading up to the premiere you'll get hit with almost nonstop television ads. So, you can expect the first trailer in November (and it won't be a teaser -- those are for franchises that have fizzled or are in need of a reboot in some way i.e. Superman).
And if they choose to stay quiet now so they can fall in line with how it "generally works" in a few months, that will be fine with me. You also might note that I said I didn't care whether we received spoilers right now or not...

Besides, the only people who are paying attention this early are uberfans who will go see the movie anyway. . . why would any respectable marketing team waste their advertising budget on us? They aren't. . . they are going to wait until holiday movie season, the Superbowl and then leading up to the Summer blockbuster season when general audiences pay attention to trailers for summer blockbuster type movies and get the most bang for their buck, and then they will use the summer blockbuster movies to advertise the Holiday movie fare.
I'll see the movie if Spock and Uhura stay together in it. If I hear that they don't from someone that watches the film when it comes out, I might rent it, but I certainly won't be going to see it in theaters. And once again, it doesn't bother me that they aren't marketing it now.

That's the way the world turns. . . whinging about it on message boards won't change it. . .

~FS
You would have a point if I actually "whined."

---

@teacake

I just saw that "Hallelujah" youtube vid you have embedded on your site. I'm starting a watch of Enterprises first season (because I honestly can't remember what I did watch of that series), and that vid makes me look forward to what's coming.
Old August 24 2012, 03:36 AM   #99
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Heh, I must be the only woman in the world who doesn't think Cumberbatch is hot. I don't really want to look at him, but I do want to look at ST:XII teases. I'm quite amused at the way they keep dropping hints, backtracking etc..
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Heh, read Temis The Vorta's posts, she's at least as not interested as you in finding him hot, and maybe even moreso, LOL
He's not my cup of tea in the looks department, either, but I've certainly heard he's a great actor.
Old August 24 2012, 03:37 AM   #100
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Oh, c'mon, you've been a Founding Member of the "Kirk/Spock Need Each Other Thread", obviously the Teams that are playing for the Movie are Spock/Kirk and Spock/Uhura

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 24 2012, 03:46 AM   #101
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^If the next movie is the Spock/Uhura vs. Spock/Kirk olympics, count me in. That just means more Spock for me.
Old August 24 2012, 04:07 AM   #102
FarStrider
Commander

Actually, Spock/Uhura Fan, I wasn't replying directly to you. . . if you read my post correctly, it is a reply to The Wormhole, who had quoted you in his post and had replied: "Yeah, that's basically what gets to me. We constantly have Abrams and his cohorts in interviews going on "this movie is so awesome and epic and game changing and mind blowing and amazing. But we're not telling you anymore." Why bother to tell us even that much if yo're not going to deliver anything more concrete?"

And also, I used the word "whinging," not "whining". . .there is a difference (and yes, whinge is a real word). . .

~FS
Old August 24 2012, 04:14 AM   #103
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

FarStrider wrote: View Post
Actually, Spock/Uhura Fan, I wasn't replying directly to you. . . if you read my post correctly, it is a reply to The Wormhole, who had quoted you in his post and had replied: "Yeah, that's basically what gets to me. We constantly have Abrams and his cohorts in interviews going on "this movie is so awesome and epic and game changing and mind blowing and amazing. But we're not telling you anymore." Why bother to tell us even that much if yo're not going to deliver anything more concrete?"
Okay, so you replied to him agreeing with me. I'd say that's about the same thing as replying, at least in part, to me too.

And also, I used the word "whinging," not "whining". . .there is a difference (and yes, whinge is a real word). . .

~FS
Maybe it's changed, but the last time I checked, the synonym for "whinge" was "whine."

I'm ready to move on now.
Old August 24 2012, 04:19 AM   #104
teacake
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Oh, c'mon, you've been a Founding Member of the "Kirk/Spock Need Each Other Thread", obviously the Teams that are playing for the Movie are Spock/Kirk and Spock/Uhura
I think I just got interested in sport!

Can we have the original uniform of the Olympics?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 24 2012, 04:38 AM   #105
RoJoHen
Awesome

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Good! I hate it when they give away the ending.