Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 12 2012, 04:56 AM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

shivkala wrote: View Post
A wise man once said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Once the trailer comes, the bitching will erupt. "Too much lens flare!" "Not enough lens flare!" "Oh man, they're doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Oh man, they're not doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Too much Kirk, not enough Spock!" "Too much Spock, not enough Kirk" "Too much Kirk and Spock, no Riley!" "They went with Riley and still no Rand?" "They have Rand? Of course they're trying to appeal to the sexist men!" "They don't have Rand, they're not doing enough for the sexist men!" "Spock isn't shouting!" "Spock is shouting!"

I think I've made my point...
Expectations are low. After the disapointment of the last one, getting excited seems premature.
Old August 12 2012, 05:00 AM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
They have to give us something!
Nope. They really don't.

In fact, if you think back to the way news and promo for the last movie was handled, you'll remember that they were very stingy with details and peeks until the last three or four months before release. Thinking it will be substantially different this time around may be to hold an unreasonable expectation.

Give us something before I throw my toys out of the pram and boycott the franchise!
You'll do that if you decide you must, but if it's all the same to you, I'd rather drama threads like this one not become a regular thing.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
Old August 12 2012, 05:18 AM   #18
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
They have to give us something!
Nope. They really don't.

In fact, if you think back to the way news and promo for the last movie was handled, you'll remember that they were very stingy with details and peeks until the last three or four months before release. Thinking it will be substantially different this time around may be to hold an unreasonable expectation.

Give us something before I throw my toys out of the pram and boycott the franchise!
You'll do that if you decide you must, but if it's all the same to you, I'd rather drama threads like this one not become a regular thing.
Hey, fair point.

I promise you that I'm being ironic rather than dramatic though, it's just a film and I'm sure l'll last until the film comes out without popping!

I certainly don't want to draw a moderators attention after 3 or 4 posts.

A serious point though, I'm a customer of Abram's and Abram's isn't delivering to my satisfaction! I want to see something I'll spent the next few months following, is it worth following? Is it worth giving up my time for?

So on and so forth.
Old August 12 2012, 05:30 AM   #19
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Hmmmm, never thought of my self as a "customer" in regards to film, the theater for sure, but not the film. Though, I suppose I am. Still, its the end product that I'm "buying". So its a bit early to care about the marketing campaign or to start deciding if I'll see it. Okay, I'll be seeing it no matter what. They don't have to sell me. The teasers, trailers and ads are just gravy.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 12 2012, 06:49 AM   #20
Devon
Fleet Captain

R. Star wrote: View Post
Expectations are low. After the disapointment of the last one, getting excited seems premature.
Speak for yourself.
Old August 12 2012, 07:19 AM   #21
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Hmmmm, never thought of my self as a "customer" in regards to film, the theater for sure, but not the film. Though, I suppose I am. Still, its the end product that I'm "buying". So its a bit early to care about the marketing campaign or to start deciding if I'll see it. Okay, I'll be seeing it no matter what. They don't have to sell me. The teasers, trailers and ads are just gravy.
I think we're customers; we want the product, we want quality, we want the narrative running through the exercise. I want smoke blown up my ass, I want to be teased and toyed with as a valued customer should be, I want to be bullshitted and stroked.

I want a trailer.
Old August 12 2012, 09:42 AM   #22
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Have this (excellent) fake from a few months ago to tide you over:
Old August 12 2012, 12:57 PM   #23
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

R. Star wrote: View Post
A secondary title to distinguish it from the rest of the franchise?
No other "Star Trek" movie was simply called "Star Trek".

Some countries promoted it as "Star Trek: The Future Begins", taking the slogan from the posters. Won't that do?

What's wrong with "Star Trek (2009)"?

Abrams will probably just name this one Star Trek 2 to vex the fans and continuity both at once.
We've had a "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", so "Star Trek 2" is fine.

I recall a joke from the creators of "Jaws 2", who said they avoided the traditional Roman numerals for the first sequel because they were hoping to reduce confusion when they reached "Jaws 11".
Old August 12 2012, 01:03 PM   #24
starburst
Fleet Captain

Paramount marketing will release a teaser or trailer when they think its best, they wont want to release anything so soon that move goers forget about it. There arent many movies where they release trailers 9 months before the film is due for release.
Old August 12 2012, 07:50 PM   #25
controlfreak
Commander

They owe us nothing.
Old August 12 2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
The only news we need to know is that they're making a movie and it will be out next May.
Yup. Everything else is icing.
The news I care about is that the BO is an even bigger monster hit than the last one.

I'd be very surprised if the quality of the movie is the problem, but to really solidify that Trek Is Back, we need two top ten movies in a row. Then Les Moonves will start listening to TV pitches, so we can have a TV show ready to go, launching in the fall, few months after the third movie's summer debut to ride the PR wave.
Old August 12 2012, 09:56 PM   #27
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
The only news we need to know is that they're making a movie and it will be out next May.
word

... is given, Mister Scott, the.
Old August 12 2012, 11:15 PM   #28
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Have this (excellent) fake from a few months ago to tide you over:
I like how they used footage from Alien Resurrection but tried to hide the fact that it was Brad Dourif...
Old August 13 2012, 01:06 AM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

I could probably tolerate not having any news. What gets me is that every few weeks or so we have Abrams and his cohorts saying things like "the movie is awesome, but we can't tell you anything" and variations thereof. It gets tiresome after awhile.
Old August 13 2012, 06:21 AM   #30
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

It is very frustrating, yes. Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them. Its about 9 months away and the forced secrecy is kind of dampening the thrust for Star Trek it seems to me. Of course not to me or other Star Trek fans, but the general movie going audience.
Closed Thread