RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,353
Posts: 5,355,004
Members: 24,623
Currently online: 652
Newest member: niko

TrekToday headlines

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old September 6 2012, 10:57 PM   #1
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
nit picky Spock picky

I really do think Zack Quinto is a very handsome man, but I was distracted by his almost ever-present 5 oclock shadow in the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. It just didn't seem like Spock and got in the way sometimes as far as convincing me of who this character was. Not that I've never seen a bearded Vulcan, but as a military man (essentially) and for this particular Vulcan, it just didn't fit. I thought he became the character quite well, and I think that's why the stubble was annoying. It just didn't fit and seemed an easy fix...Silly, I know~ but I was just reading the ZQ update on the newest movie...
Lt. Zanne is offline  
Old September 6 2012, 11:01 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: nit picky Spock picky

Zach is a hairy guy. Just.... learn to love the shadow. He's a great Spock.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline  
Old September 6 2012, 11:02 PM   #3
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalCaptain's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: nit picky Spock picky

I liked the stubble. I thought it made him seem more "realistic".
__________________
John
CorporalCaptain is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
Re: nit picky Spock picky

I see him as meticulous. The stubble is a little "human"... It's not like I won't be able to sit thru the new movie
Lt. Zanne is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: nit picky Spock picky

Nimoy's five o'clock shadow was pretty blatant at times too.

He's not exactly a dolphin, either.

__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 06:08 PM   #6
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
Re: nit picky Spock picky

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Nimoy's five o'clock shadow was pretty blatant at times too.

He's not exactly a dolphin, either.

ha ha ha! thank you! that's a very good point!
Lt. Zanne is offline  
Old September 7 2012, 08:16 PM   #7
jgalley
Lieutenant
 
Re: nit picky Spock picky

yah it was off-putting.

I mean canonically (sp) Elves don't have ANY hair other than on their heads...makes for good females

oh wait....that's right...Vulcan's aren't elves and it was NEVER said they had no body/facial hair.

plus look at the spock pic from ToS posted.

I don't mean this as a personal offense but..stupid nitpick is stupid.
jgalley is offline  
Old September 8 2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Mr_Homn
Captain
 
Mr_Homn's Avatar
 
Re: nit picky Spock picky

jgalley wrote: View Post
yah it was off-putting.

I mean canonically (sp) Elves don't have ANY hair other than on their heads...makes for good females

oh wait....that's right...Vulcan's aren't elves and it was NEVER said they had no body/facial hair.

plus look at the spock pic from ToS posted.

I don't mean this as a personal offense but..stupid nitpick is stupid.
glad to see the nutrek fans aren't any less overly defensive than the old trek fans!
__________________
"Thank you.. for the drinks."
Mr_Homn is offline  
Old September 8 2012, 07:34 AM   #9
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: nit picky Spock picky

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
jgalley wrote: View Post
yah it was off-putting.

I mean canonically (sp) Elves don't have ANY hair other than on their heads...makes for good females

oh wait....that's right...Vulcan's aren't elves and it was NEVER said they had no body/facial hair.

plus look at the spock pic from ToS posted.

I don't mean this as a personal offense but..stupid nitpick is stupid.
glad to see the nutrek fans aren't any less overly defensive than the old trek fans!
Well, I'm not sure where you get "overly defensive" from that post, but please, let's avoid making a leap from reference to one comment or opinion as a "stupid nitpick" to broad-brush swipe at a whole group of fans, shall we? That just goes nowhere useful.
__________________
Dinosaurs are just really, really big chickens.
M'Sharak is offline  
Old September 8 2012, 09:55 AM   #10
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: nit picky Spock picky

On the one hand.. yes I noticed it and yes it annoyed me.

On the other.. NuSpock is one of my all time favorite characters. He is even more hot with stubble.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now  
Old September 8 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: nit picky Spock picky

STAR TREK INTO STUBBLE
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline  
Old September 8 2012, 10:43 AM   #12
teacake
Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: nit picky Spock picky

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
STAR TREK INTO STUBBLE
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now  
Old September 17 2012, 04:04 AM   #13
los2188
Commander
 
los2188's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
Re: nit picky Spock picky

Lt. Zanne wrote: View Post
I really do think Zack Quinto is a very handsome man, but I was distracted by his almost ever-present 5 oclock shadow in the first JJ Abrams Star Trek movie. It just didn't seem like Spock and got in the way sometimes as far as convincing me of who this character was. Not that I've never seen a bearded Vulcan, but as a military man (essentially) and for this particular Vulcan, it just didn't fit. I thought he became the character quite well, and I think that's why the stubble was annoying. It just didn't fit and seemed an easy fix...Silly, I know~ but I was just reading the ZQ update on the newest movie...
It's funny that you should mention that. I noticed that as well, but I can't honestly say that it bothered me, but I do know where you're coming from. He should have made sure it was "smoother than an android's bottom....eh Data?"
__________________
Darling, you remain as aesthetically pleasing as the first day we met. I believe I am the most fortunate sentient in this sector of the galaxy.
los2188 is offline  
Old September 24 2012, 12:22 AM   #14
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
Re: nit picky Spock picky

I didn't mean to annoy anyone, but that one scene in particular, where Spock is in front of the council just seemed like a very important moment in his life/career. He is typically a guy who shaves, right? I'm not a guy so I don't know all the ins and outs of facial hair etiquette, but in that moment the facial hair distracted me. Please! I meant no harm!!

And by the way, who said anything about elves?
Lt. Zanne is offline  
Old September 24 2012, 12:24 AM   #15
Lt. Zanne
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Smalltown, USA
Re: nit picky Spock picky

jgalley wrote: View Post
yah it was off-putting.

I mean canonically (sp) Elves don't have ANY hair other than on their heads...makes for good females

oh wait....that's right...Vulcan's aren't elves and it was NEVER said they had no body/facial hair.

plus look at the spock pic from ToS posted.

I don't mean this as a personal offense but..stupid nitpick is stupid.
okay I never said Vulcans were like Elves or that the men don't by definition have any facial hair.
Lt. Zanne is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.