Whitney Passes
By: T'Bonz on May 4

Retro Review: Phage
By: Michelle on May 2

The Next Generation Shower Curtain
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Burton Part of Roots Reboot
By: T'Bonz on May 1

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 10 2014, 01:36 PM   #1201
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Honestly, for the most part, the orchestra sounds pretty damned rich for the size. Compared to other shows, such as The Man from UNCLE which sounded like the 9 guys it was, Star Trek was damned near movie score quality. Some of the earlier CD releases sounded very "pinched" and shrill. The new set improves on them dramatically.
Old July 10 2014, 07:24 PM   #1202
Indysolo
Commodore

If you're unsure about the quality of the sound, there are numerous samples on the info page. We were dealing with the original first-generation tapes,so this sounds better than anything that has come before.

Neil
Old July 10 2014, 08:10 PM   #1203
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Indysolo wrote: View Post
If you're unsure about the quality of the sound, there are numerous samples on the info page. We were dealing with the original first-generation tapes,so this sounds better than anything that has come before.
I don't think Plynch was expressing concern about the audio quality. I think he was talking mostly about the performance, with a small studio force vs the bigger recordings made later, the Bremner and Steiner recordings.

– But having written that, it seems a bit silly. Sure you might prefer the versions that have been out there to the boxed set version, for scores that have been released. But the boxed set has many scores, that you will otherwise NEVER HEAR. At all. I don't get how a concern about performance quality can be relevant. So what? There's likely never going to be an alternative recording.
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 08:23 PM   #1204
Search4
Commander

As an owner - this is fabulous. Just an amazing restoration. There are copies, this is the original. A must-get.
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 08:56 PM   #1205
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post
That's one thing that has kept me from buying the box, which I applaud, by the way. I just don't think I would revisit the discs after a listen, due to the studio orch and dry sound. Unless they "sweetened" things for the release, which I doubt. I too heard those records/discs starting in the 80s which sounded so good.
Note the phrase, "one thing." I have been a booster of the project here; I think I played a part in getting the youtube "videos" of the scores noticed and then taken down, and have taken people to task who talk about ripping these off in some download-kind of thing.

SO:
If money were no object, I'd own them. (And note I have argued here that these are reasonably priced for the work and licensing that went into them!) It would be SUPER nice to hear them. But as a I said, I doubt I'd return to them. I have shelves of CDs I never listen to. Three more kids to help through college. And some specific things I want money for, that if I spend on CDs I don't have money for. So,"one thing" playing a part in my resource allocation decision is their being played by a studio orchestra. Am I "missing out"? Sure. But I miss out on things every day. So it goes. I also enjoy many aspects of living everyday.

Let me end once more with personal applause and thanks to all those that conceived and executed this great project. It is just not how I am allocating my somewhat limited resources. Though who knows what the future holds? Be well, all!
Old July 10 2014, 09:10 PM   #1206
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Search4 wrote: View Post
As an owner - this is fabulous. Just an amazing restoration. There are copies, this is the original. A must-get.
Agreed. And having had and listened to this set since it's release, I can confirm it is well worth it and one of, if not my absolute favorite releases.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 12:04 AM   #1207
feek61
Captain

One of the best purchases I have ever made. It's a collection I will listen to until I die (which hopefully will be a long, long time away); it's fantastic!
Old October 28 2014, 06:17 PM   #1208
Indysolo
Commodore

For one week only, this set is 25% off (along with the rest of La-La Land's releases). This is the lowest price ever for this set.

"LA-LA LAND RECORDS BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION SALE! Join us celebrating our birthday with 25% off your ENTIRE ORDER!. A perfect opportunity to catch up on great titles at a great price! ONE WEEK ONLY! SALE RUNS UNTIL 11:59PM (PST) 11/3. Simply place your order at and 25% will be automatically deducted from your total purchase at checkout."

Neil
Old October 28 2014, 06:48 PM   #1209
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Wow. That is not insignificant. I'll tell my nerd friends that don't have this yet.
Old October 28 2014, 07:36 PM   #1210
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If we already bought it can we get a refund?
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2014, 10:23 PM   #1211
Green Shirt
Rear Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
If money were no object, I'd own them.
Same here. Life has a way of interfering with fun.
Old October 29 2014, 12:34 AM   #1212
drt
Captain

Of course, I just bought a couple of soundtracks from them last week.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2014, 02:10 AM   #1213
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Maybe I was wrong. Listening to old soundtracks, re-recordings on Spotify: this music is so associated with good feelings. Maybe I would relisten to the CDs if I git em. I keep smiling hearing familiar cues. I so rarely listen to the cds I own though.

Update: man, that last Charlie X part is sad. Even the sailing-off music is downbeat compared to most.

Last edited by plynch; October 29 2014 at 02:29 AM.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2014, 11:10 PM   #1214
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Come onnnnnnn. You know you want 'em. :P
Old October 29 2014, 11:41 PM   #1215
CaptainMurdock
Commander

I have the soundtrack and listen to it almost everyday. It's got that classic cartoon production music sound to it. Best Christmas present ever.