Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old June 14 2014, 11:04 PM   #1171
Let the Good Times Roll!!

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

plynch wrote: View Post
If I were LaLa or the original copyright owner I'd be pissed though.
It looks like many of the videos have already been deleted. I've removed the link from the post above.
“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2014, 11:09 PM   #1172
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Thank you.

Neil
Old June 15 2014, 03:30 AM   #1173
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

+1
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 05:08 AM   #1174
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Thanks, digits.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 03:47 PM   #1175
Let the Good Times Roll!!

No problem.

People need to get paid for their work.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 01:17 PM   #1176
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Speaking of episodic playlists, I've finally gotten around to archiving my box set on my computer so I can save the music on my new smartphone, and I'm thinking I'd like to create a playlist for "Mirror, Mirror" that would incorporate the Alexander Courage library tracks (which I think were "Fight on Captain's Theme" and "Sad and Thoughtful on Captain's Theme"). I don't want to try to recreate the entire episode score, just insert those two cues into the existing "Mirror, Mirror" track list between the appropriate cues so that they're in the same order they were in the episode. Where would be the right place to insert them? Looking at the track list, I'm guessing they could both go between "Pretty Marlena" and "Goodbye Marlena." Does that sound about right?
I'm fairly certain you have to alternate the cues. "Pretty Marlena" then "Fight On..." then "Good-Bye" followed by "Sad and Thoughtful..." which should be the Kirk's Speech Music, right? Doing this from memory....

I also put "Mudd's Perfidy" from the second season library cues at the very start.
Old June 16 2014, 02:11 PM   #1177
Christopher
Writer

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
I also put "Mudd's Perfidy" from the second season library cues at the very start.
Oh yeah, for the opening shot on Halka, I remember. Still, I don't find it necessary to add that. I just want the original library cues that don't have a "home" elsewhere and that debuted in the episode in question -- I don't want to repeat cues that are already part of another complete score.

By the same token, I might include "Humoresque" in the "City on the Edge of Forever" playlist.

(In other news, yesterday I made a playlist from my Lost in Space CDs consisting of cues from the first seven episodes in chronological order, using LIS Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 from The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen plus the 40th-anniversary set which includes later-season retakes of first-season cues, some of which were not included on the previous sets. The problem is that most of the tracks combine multiple cues, so there were two cues that I had to end up with two copies of each in order to get all the rest of the cues in the playlist.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 03:43 PM   #1178
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

By the same token, I might include "Humoresque" in the "City on the Edge of Forever" playlist.
I did the same thing with Shore Leave, sticking the Mullendore Library cue "Impension" in the mix.

(In other news, yesterday I made a playlist from my Lost in Space CDs consisting of cues from the first seven episodes in chronological order, using LIS Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 from The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen plus the 40th-anniversary set which includes later-season retakes of first-season cues, some of which were not included on the previous sets. The problem is that most of the tracks combine multiple cues, so there were two cues that I had to end up with two copies of each in order to get all the rest of the cues in the playlist.)
I did the same thing, combining all the cues. I actually did editing and whatnot to put them all in the right spots because I'm anal that way. That's another series with some great music, especially at the start of the run.
Old June 16 2014, 04:09 PM   #1179
Christopher
Writer

^I don't appear to have the necessary software for editing the tracks, and I just tried to approximate the order with the available tracks.

Of course, if I really wanted a near-complete playlist of LiS's season-one music, I'd need to throw in the appropriate Bernard Herrmann tracks from The Day the Earth Stood Still and Beneath the Twelve-Mile Reef, and I think one other. But I don't have those soundtracks.

Old June 16 2014, 04:22 PM   #1180
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

^I don't appear to have the necessary software for editing the tracks, and I just tried to approximate the order with the available tracks.

Of course, if I really wanted a near-complete playlist of LiS's season-one music, I'd need to throw in the appropriate Bernard Herrmann tracks from The Day the Earth Stood Still and Beneath the Twelve-Mile Reef, and I think one other. But I don't have those soundtracks.
Audacity is free.

What episodes used the Herrmann stuff?
Old June 16 2014, 04:34 PM   #1181
Ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Many episodes do, but the unaired pilot used a lot from those movies as well as Garden of Evil and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel used the Fox music library much more heavily.

Last edited by Ssosmcin; June 16 2014 at 05:08 PM.
Ssosmcin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2014, 06:11 PM   #1182
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Many episodes do, but the unaired pilot used a lot from those movies as well as Garden of Evil and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and The Time Tunnel used the Fox music library much more heavily.
Are you saying that Courage wrote music that sounded like Herrmann for The Cage or are you saying that there were actual tracks from those movies? Journey to the Center of the Earth is the only Herrmann score I know backwards and forwards and I don't recall ever hearing it in Star Trek.

I've never even heard this as a rumor before.
Old June 16 2014, 06:19 PM   #1183
Christopher
Writer

^We're talking about Lost in Space, not Star Trek.

Old June 16 2014, 07:29 PM   #1184
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

^We're talking about Lost in Space, not Star Trek.
Thanks. My world is back to normal now.
Old June 16 2014, 09:31 PM   #1185
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I know the feeling.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote