Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 10 2013, 10:03 PM   #1066
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

^No, you're wrong about the intervals. The intervals in the "Enemy Within" motif are far, far wider. Counting both white and black keys on a keyboard, an octave is essentially 12 keys wide. Start at C, call that zero, then count upward one key at a time and the 12th key will be the next C. The first two notes in the "Enemy Within" motif are 5 keys apart; the next one is 6 keys below that; and the fourth note goes back up the whole 11 keys to the start. (The slightly smaller interval spans more keys because the intervals between adjacent keys aren't quite uniform; E and F are only one key apart, as are B and C. Transpose the same phrase to a different key and the number of piano keys spanned by an interval can change.) So the whole phrase spans just one half-step short of a full octave. But the two notes in the "Enterprise Incident" cue are only 1 key apart, half a step altogether, the smallest possible interval between two notes. The two phrases are very different.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 10:57 PM   #1067
JimZipCode
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^No, you're wrong about the intervals. The intervals in the "Enemy Within" motif are far, far wider.
Oh gotcha, you said the motif from Enterprise Incident only went down a half-step from its starting tone. Missed that.
(Are you sure? In memory it sounds like a bigger interval to me. Time to go home and listen to that score!)
JimZipCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 11:28 PM   #1068
Christopher
Writer

^I was surprised too, but you can try for yourself.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2013, 01:14 AM   #1069
The Warlord
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Talking of sweeteners - I just watched For The World Is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky, and when Spock releases McCoy from the Oracle (at the beginning of Act 4 just after Kirk and Spock have beamed back down to Natira's quarters), we get a nice drum sweetener over The Empath music. Is that drum heard anywhere else?
The Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2013, 10:04 AM   #1070
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 09:37 PM   #1071
Warped9
Admiral

Go figure. Two weeks or so ago I received my copy of the TOS 15-CD set. Today I get home to find a package waiting, expecting to find the complete ST-TMP soundtrack. Instead I find another copy of the TOS 15 CD set. I certainly didn't pay for a second set and there's a big difference in price between the TOS set and the ST-TMP soundtrack.

I'll wait a few more days to see if the TMP soundtrack arrives. Either they mistakenly sent me the wrong thing or they sent me a second unordered set. If they did send me a second set I didn't order I'll contact them about returning it (I didn't pay for it). Of course if they sent this instead of what I ordered then I'll have to get it exchanged.

Last edited by Warped9; January 17 2013 at 10:46 PM.
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17 2013, 10:29 PM   #1072
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

That is an expensive mistake. But now you have to listen to all 15 CDs twice.
Old January 17 2013, 10:30 PM   #1073
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Go figure. Two weeks or so ago I received my copy of the TOS 15-CD set. Today I get hope to find a package waiting, expecting to find the complete ST-TMP soundtrack. Instead I find another copy of the TOS 15 CD set. I certainly didn't pay for a second set and there's a big difference in price between the TOS set and the ST-TMP soundtrack.

I'll wait a few more days to see if the TMP soundtrack arrives. Either they mistakenly sent me the wrong thing or they sent me a second unordered set. If they did send me a second set I didn't order I'll contact them about returning it (I didn't pay for it). Of course if they sent this instead of what I ordered then I'll have to get it exchanged.
La-La Land is actually really good about correcting things like this. I'd suggest getting in touch with them and explaining the situation.
Old January 17 2013, 10:42 PM   #1074
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
La-La Land is actually really good about correcting things like this. I'd suggest getting in touch with them and explaining the situation.
First off: Yes, LLL's customer service is terrific. I smashed one of my jewel cases through no fault of anyone but me. And they still shipped me off a new one, no charge.

But second: I can't imagine any company that wouldn't want to correct sending you a $200+ item for $40.
Old January 18 2013, 06:46 AM   #1075
ZapBrannigan
Fleet Captain

Go figure. Two weeks or so ago I received my copy of the TOS 15-CD set. Today I get home to find a package waiting, expecting to find the complete ST-TMP soundtrack. Instead I find another copy of the TOS 15 CD set. I certainly didn't pay for a second set and there's a big difference in price between the TOS set and the ST-TMP soundtrack.

I'm glad you're going to return the accidental set, Warped9. La La Land treats their customers like gold, and they have brought several superb music releases to the STAR TREK community, at considerable financial risk. I would hate to see them lose money.

And incidentally: when this limited set sells out, maybe some kid who's been saving for it won't get a copy. Or maybe he will, because you were one of the good guys.
ZapBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 07:24 AM   #1076
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I'm in the process of listening to my copy and I'm on cloud nine. Right now, I'm in season two. I'm even happier with this than I thought I would be, and I've been looking out for this sort of thing for decades.
Old January 22 2013, 08:54 PM   #1077
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Finally ordered my copy and waiting fir it to be shipped.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2013, 11:58 PM   #1078
Warped9
Admiral

ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post

I'm glad you're going to return the accidental set, Warped9. La La Land treats their customers like gold, and they have brought several superb music releases to the STAR TREK community, at considerable financial risk. I would hate to see them lose money.

And incidentally: when this limited set sells out, maybe some kid who's been saving for it won't get a copy. Or maybe he will, because you were one of the good guys.
I've just heard back from La-La Land. They checked their records and discovered that I was mistakenly sent the TOS 15-CD set instead of the TMP soundtrack I ordered. They thanked me for my honesty and already have my TMP order ready to ship. They asked me to send the TOS set back to them and provide them with my credit card information so they can credit the return shipping costs back to me or I can pay for the shipping and they will include any soundtrack of my choice with my TMP order at no extra charge.

I guess I'll take a look at their library.
Old January 23 2013, 12:02 AM   #1079
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Like I said, La-La Land are good people.
Old January 23 2013, 12:52 AM   #1080
Warped9
Admiral

I guess I'll take a look at their library.
Items of interest:
- BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: VOL 1 (SECOND EDITION): LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
- BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES: VOL. 2: LIMITED EDITION (4-CD SET)
- LOST IN SPACE
- VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA: 50th ANNIVERSARY LIMITED EDITION
- THE OUTER LIMITS

I think I'm leaning toward the emboldened title.