Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 25 2012, 08:36 PM   #166
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Wellll....just to be clear, would fight music from "The Omega Glory" (when Kirk unties himself in the room) which seems to be a rearranged version of the Kirk v. Mitchell track from "Where No Man Has Gone Before," find its way on the box set?
I don't recall any re-recordings of pilot music in the second season. However, IIRC, Fred Steiner's "Mirror, Mirror" score did feature a new arrangement/variation of the Kirk/Mitchell fight music, and that cue was used several times throughout season 2, so that may be what you're referring to. So it would probably be included in the "Mirror, Mirror" score.

For that matter, i'm guessing the WNMHGB fight music is included?

I recall that was not a part of GNP's TOS pilot album...huge disappointment back in the day.
The last few minutes of the WNM score were left off that album for reasons of length, because LPs could hold less than 2/3 as much music as a CD. I don't think any of the episode scores originally released on LP were unabridged, except maybe for "The Cage." But this set is 15 CDs, roomy enough that they can include extra bits like library tracks and alternates, so it's safe to say that nothing from the actual episode scores will be left out for lack of room.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2012, 08:50 PM   #167
22 Stars
Commodore

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Yeah, and it's not just the TAS stuff I want, but the music from later Filmation shows like Space Academy/Jason of Star Command, and particularly the gorgeous music from Flash Gordon, Blackstar, The Lone Ranger, and Zorro, which was in a classic vintage-movie style. Although I realize that the market for that music must be very, very tiny, so I doubt there'd ever be a box set.
Perhaps Filmation soundtracks would generate attention/interest if a company started off with the biggest, most visible brand Filmation ever used: DC Comics. The primary audience would be in North America, where DC--in comics, cartoons and films--is as recognized as Washington's face on the dollar.

Once DC scores broke ground, I think you would see a vocal demand for more filmation music--like TAS, or the live action shows (ex. Shazam, Isis, Ark II, etc.)
The set could be sold in a big cardboard tube, like the classic talking viewmaster set of the time that features so many of those great images
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 02:52 AM   #168
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Thank you for enlightening me unintentionally - that earlier seasons' music was rerecorded. I knew I heard earlier music in later seasons, but I had read on this bbs that union rules said music had to be new each season. Now I know how both things can be true, earlier music rerecorded. Seems inefficient, though.
Old September 26 2012, 03:56 AM   #169
Christopher
Writer

plynch wrote: View Post
Now I know how both things can be true, earlier music rerecorded. Seems inefficient, though.
It's inefficient for the production, but it's not for the production's benefit, it's for the musicians', so they can stay gainfully employed. From a musician's standpoint, not getting work at all is what's inefficient.

Old September 26 2012, 06:00 AM   #170
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Welcome to the world of unions.
OneBuckFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2012, 08:58 PM   #171
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

I don't recall any re-recordings of pilot music in the second season. However, IIRC, Fred Steiner's "Mirror, Mirror" score did feature a new arrangement/variation of the Kirk/Mitchell fight music, and that cue was used several times throughout season 2, so that may be what you're referring to. So it would probably be included in the "Mirror, Mirror" score.
Thank you! That's the cue! I thought it was an interesting take on the original piece.
Old September 26 2012, 09:18 PM   #172
Christopher
Writer

It occurs to me that the track listings are going to need a lot of those little asterisks that are used to indicate when a cue by one composer incorporates a motif by a different composer. Every TOS composer (except Samuel Matlovsky, I think) used Courage's main title theme, usually the fanfare portion, so there are going to be a ton of asterisks for that alone. Steiner also paraphrased Courage's "Where No Man" motif in "Mirror, Mirror." And George Duning borrowed Steiner's Romulan/Terran Empire motif for Henoch in "Return to Tomorrow," and used a 10-note phrase from one of Gerald Fried's "Amok Time" cues as a recurring Spock theme in several episodes -- then borrowed even more of that cue for the point in "The Empath" when McCoy drugs Spock unconscious. So that's at least three composers' work that was quoted/paraphrased by different composers.

Old September 26 2012, 11:07 PM   #173
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Steiner also paraphrased Courage's "Where No Man" motif in "Mirror, Mirror."
No he didn't. All will be revealed in time.

Neil
Old September 26 2012, 11:26 PM   #174
Christopher
Writer

^Ahh, so that's one of the library cues you've been hinting at?

And why so coy? Is there a reason for postponing the release of the track list?

Old September 27 2012, 12:02 AM   #175
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

Salesmanship.
Old September 27 2012, 03:06 AM   #176
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

I like the suspense.
Old September 27 2012, 08:54 PM   #177
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Until the track list is released, I'll never give a specific detail. I'm sure you can appreciate that. I'll answer as best as I can.

Neil
Old September 27 2012, 09:29 PM   #178
OneBuckFilms
Fleet Captain

When can we expect a track listing?
Old September 27 2012, 09:40 PM   #179
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

I have no idea.