TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 27 2014, 09:58 PM   #5491
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: PICTURE POST II!

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
^ Sharp and vivid. The clouds really add to it, too.
The iPhone 5s can really take good photos outside.
Yes, it can. I just spent twelve days in Europe with nothing but my 5s, and I got some really good shots. Mostly outdoors, but a few indoors, too.

That's iPhone? Damn. You're right. Very good photos. Goes to show, too, how much a good photo comes more from the photographer, rather than fancy gear.
Yup. I've always loved when people who know nothing about photography compliment me on a photo, and I can tell from what they say that they like the composition, even though they don't know to use that word. And then they follow up with, "You must have a really good camera!"
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:40 AM   #5492
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

mimic, you look ... glamorous!

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
We've been spending the weekend in Washington and there's an old boarded up high school in front of our hotel. My daughter decided to have a seat.

Speaking of brilliant composition ... love this shot.
Old May 28 2014, 03:35 AM   #5493
Australis
Writer

teacake wrote: View Post
Australis very impressive! You must have gotten a surprise at the comparison (you should post smiling ones). Grats on that, got any tips about how you did it?
I did get a surprise, quite a large one. Well... not as large as it used to be, apparently.;

To do it, I started with running 3-4 Kms per day, and because I had unhappy knees, switched to going to a nearby gym, rowing mainly. I also cut out bread and poitatoes, cut my sugar consumption to less than half, and generally ate better and more salads. Still, food cravings take their toll - I weakened and ate an apple turnover with cream over the weekend, and immediately regretted it, mentally and physically, my tolerance to cream has dropped a lot. Somehow keeping the chocolate cravings down with a single row of Nestle Club dark chocolate per day, seems to work.

I've gone from 131 Kg to 111, need to get to 105.

"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 02:41 PM   #5494
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Thanks. I got lucky. My daughter was just rambling about chasing squirrels to feed and decided to play on the steps. I think some of my favourite shots are happy accidents like this.

Australis, great job on the weight loss. I know it's takes a lot of self control and will power so hats off to you. You mentioned you were losing weight for a special project? Are you able to elaborate?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 04:16 PM   #5495
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Saga wrote: View Post
Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post
wow! That's an exceptional shot. Photographing falling water is really difficult. What camera and settings did you use?
Canon PowerShot ELPH 130 IS. Shutter Speed 1/636 second...which is just the default setting i think. its a pretty good camera for taking pics of running water, but not so great for long time exposure shots.
Thank you! I used to have one of the previous versions but dropped it in the mud recently which it didn't survive and now I need a new one. As my job requires me to take tons of pics of runing water I need a camera that's quick and doesn't require a lot of manual settings. I'll definitely take this one into consideration =)
Thanks for the tip!
Old May 28 2014, 05:17 PM   #5496
Snowy Roshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Snowy Roshi

mimic wrote: View Post
At my brother's wedding Sunday:
I bow down to your classiness, J. You look stunning!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Snowy Roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 06:08 PM   #5497
Lumos Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Savage Dragon wrote: View Post
We've been spending the weekend in Washington and there's an old boarded up high school in front of our hotel. My daughter decided to have a seat.

Ditto!
Lumos Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 06:36 PM   #5498
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

me three!

mimic, I bet the bride was jealous. You look awesome!

Ricewiend, I envy you your job! Leerdamer is pretty yummy stuff =)

And, ashu, I'd never have dared to ask! You must be a good deal nerdier than I am
This is my nerdiest pic (apart from the one where Andrew Robinson and I made faces in a joint attempt to drive the photographer insane but nobody will ever get to see that one! )
Old May 28 2014, 06:44 PM   #5499
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Cool! Rene seems like he's a down-to-earth and nice guy. I'm glad you got to meet both him and Andrew Robinson. Odo and Garak were two of the best characters on DS9 and we have the two actors to thank for a good part of that.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 07:03 PM   #5500
RoJoHen
Awesome

At the gym yesterday, takin' selfies. I decided that Tank Top Tuesday is gonna be my new thing. This was right after my workout, and I couldn't steady my hand, which is why it's a tad blurry.

Old May 28 2014, 07:34 PM   #5501
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post

And, ashu, I'd never have dared to ask! You must be a good deal nerdier than I am
This is my nerdiest pic (apart from the one where Andrew Robinson and I made faces in a joint attempt to drive the photographer insane but nobody will ever get to see that one! )
Awesome And honestly the only reason i asked John to pick me up was because before going in there the guy issued a warning of "John REALLY likes people. He'll do whatever you want"

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Ashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2014, 10:29 PM   #5502
Pingfah
Admiral

Old May 28 2014, 10:31 PM   #5503
Ashu
Vice Admiral

View Ashu's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Ashu Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ashu

^ Take me with you?

" Because no matter what the future holds, no matter how fat we travel, a part of us -a very important part- remains there, on the TrekBBS" - shamelessmcbundy
Old May 28 2014, 10:36 PM   #5504
Pingfah
Admiral

Hah, that would be great

I'm actually going on my own, because all my friends are child rearing losers, or have shitty taste in music. Although, i'm heading north to meet friends to see Extreme & Pearl Jam later the same week.

And i'm doing the whole 1200 mile round trip on a motorbike with all my camping gear. Can't wait, it's going to be an amazing week.
Old May 28 2014, 10:39 PM   #5505
Ashu
Vice Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Hah, that would be great

I'm actually going on my own, because all my friends are child rearing losers, or have shitty taste in music. Although, i'm heading north to meet friends to see Extreme & Pearl Jam later the same week.

And i'm doing the whole 1200 mile round trip on a motorbike with all my camping gear. Can't wait, it's going to be an amazing week.
I have the same problem. Most of my friends suck when it comes to doing these kind of things.

And honestly I would go all the way to england just to see a concert with you