Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old April 23 2014, 04:34 AM   #5266
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: PICTURE POST II!

Timby wrote: View Post
Spending the week in Atlanta on business. Highlights thus far:

My wonderful co-workers convinced me to try sushi for the first time (really liked it, too):

Took in a Braves team with the marketing team tonight:

Had great seats, too:
That's a great set, Timby! Lots of smiles ... very cool!

I decided to change things up and do some night photography on Monday. I've never really tried to do a serious night photog shoot. But here are the results (some of which are courtesy of the Empire State Building observation deck):

Full set here.
Old April 23 2014, 08:14 PM   #5267
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Okay, that seals it, next time I'm there I HAVE to go up into the Empire State Building at night. Where are those cherry trees?
Old April 23 2014, 08:26 PM   #5268
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

You should! I'd only ever been up there before a couple of times, and just once at night. But it's been years (more than a decade) and I'd forgotten just how ... incredible the view is on a clear night. It can be an inspirational experience.

The trees are in Harold Square. Macy's is just to your left, off-camera.
Old April 23 2014, 08:56 PM   #5269
Pondwater
Commodore

Ancient Mariner wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
Spending the week in Atlanta on business. Highlights thus far:

My wonderful co-workers convinced me to try sushi for the first time (really liked it, too):

Took in a Braves team with the marketing team tonight:

Had great seats, too:
That's a great set, Timby! Lots of smiles ... very cool!
Great seats Timby, too bad its behind the visitors dugout though. :-P

I decided to change things up and do some night photography on Monday. I've never really tried to do a serious night photog shoot. But here are the results (some of which are courtesy of the Empire State Building observation deck):

Full set here.
Old April 24 2014, 02:57 AM   #5270
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

I've been up at the top of the Empire State Building at night. It was an awe-inspiring view. We were as high as they allow tourists to go and you could see the tapestry of Manhattan spreading out as far as the eye could see. Liberty Island and the Statue off in the distance. The old Twin Towers. The GE Building. One famous, huge landmark after the next, and more twinkling lights than you'll probably ever see anywhere else short of getting away from urban light pollution and looking at the night sky.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 04:50 AM   #5271
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

^ The last time I was there was when they had the WTC tribute lights going ... Having witnessed 9/11 with my own eyes (albeit from Queens), it was most definitely awe-inspiring. In any case, seeing Manhattan from such a perspective is not something to be missed. The Empire State Building is perfectly situated to see just about everything except Harlem (which, admittedly, is no small omission). But having spent time on the streets, trying to capture the energy of the city ... and then seeing those streets from such a perspective ... you begin to realize just how impressive, expansive, and vibrant Manhattan is.
Old April 24 2014, 06:04 AM   #5272
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

You should! I'd only ever been up there before a couple of times, and just once at night. But it's been years (more than a decade) and I'd forgotten just how ... incredible the view is on a clear night. It can be an inspirational experience.

The trees are in Harold Square. Macy's is just to your left, off-camera.
I think the reason why I didn't go up there at night last time was because our trip got cut a bit short by flight trouble so we only stayed in Manhattan one night. Next time I'll most likely be spending more time in Manhattan over all.
Old April 24 2014, 02:35 PM   #5273
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
I've been up at the top of the Empire State Building at night. It was an awe-inspiring view.
How long did it take you to get up there? The one time I went up, it took several hours to get through all the lines.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 05:31 PM   #5274
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

It was ages ago so I can't remember the exact length of the wait. I do recall the long trip up inside one of the fancy elevators and it seemed to take forever.

Old April 24 2014, 06:52 PM   #5275
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

On Monday, my wait time was 45 minutes from the time I walked through the doors to the moment I stepped out on to the deck. I'm pretty sure that it was an average wait, which surprised me, given how crowded the deck was. They currently offer an "Express Pass" for $50 that lets you jump to the front of every line (security, elevators, etc.). Given the fact that it's only $11 more than the regular pass, I'd say it's worthwhile.
Old April 24 2014, 06:57 PM   #5276
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

It took three hours for me to get up there. Must have stood in at least five or six different lines. Then again, this was 11 or so years ago. Probably lingering aftereffects from 9/11.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24 2014, 09:47 PM   #5277
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't in New York at the time but I imagine that any huge and/or tall structures in the city were subject to intense security crackdowns and tightened rules in the aftermath of 9/11. I know you couldn't go up inside the Statue of Liberty for more than a decade after the attacks happened.

Old April 24 2014, 09:56 PM   #5278
Pondwater
Commodore

^ The last time I was there was when they had the WTC tribute lights going ... Having witnessed 9/11 with my own eyes (albeit from Queens), it was most definitely awe-inspiring. In any case, seeing Manhattan from such a perspective is not something to be missed. The Empire State Building is perfectly situated to see just about everything except Harlem (which, admittedly, is no small omission). But having spent time on the streets, trying to capture the energy of the city ... and then seeing those streets from such a perspective ... you begin to realize just how impressive, expansive, and vibrant Manhattan is.
It's quite amazing. I walked from Brooklyn over the East river, through Manhattan to the Hudson. I felt like I went through three countries. The sites, sounds and smells....
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I've been up at the top of the Empire State Building at night. It was an awe-inspiring view.
How long did it take you to get up there? The one time I went up, it took several hours to get through all the lines.
Only took me 30 mins. Street level, ticket lines, elevator , walking the stairs to the observation deck then about 10 mins to sky view.

It was a Wednesday in 2011 during a Spring Break. It was mid morning.
Old April 24 2014, 09:58 PM   #5279
Pondwater
Commodore

Yeah, I wasn't in New York at the time but I imagine that any huge and/or tall structures in the city were subject to intense security crackdowns and tightened rules in the aftermath of 9/11. I know you couldn't go up inside the Statue of Liberty for more than a decade after the attacks happened.
And then Sandy came... I think it has reopened now.
Old April 25 2014, 07:38 AM   #5280
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

Not too many days you see this place so empty.
In fact, there were more people looking at a Lego version at a Lego show downtown.

If you want to build your own, you'll need two years, 70,000 bricks and around $8,000 worth of Lego.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote