Meaney In Talks For McGuinness Role
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Stewart And Son To Act Together

Quinto: If I Wasn’t An Actor…

Star Trek Beyond Update

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old August 3 2015, 11:38 AM   #1
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Your inner child

If you have one, how do you nuture your inner child?

I have recently bought myself an adult colouring book ( no, it isn't x- rated).

I have also started collecting fashion dolls - after a break of about 45 years.

I also collect copies of children's books illustrated my favourite illustrator (Libico Maraja) and also different editions of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (published in the 1970s or earlier).
Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 11:40 AM   #2
J. Allen
Snuggle Master

View J. Allen's Twitter Profile
Re: Your inner child

I watch a TV show about pastel colored ponies who value the magic of friendship.
I also write short stories about those ponies.
I watch cartoons.
I color in my coloring books.
I sometimes take my little plastic ships and pretend to engage in combat with them.
I wear shoes that have multicolored laces so I can walk on sunshine every day.
I daydream.

Like My Little Pony? Join us at Brony Kingdom!

-= St. John of Trenton, Patron Saint of Cute Ponies =-
Bestowed upon me by Pondwater
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 11:45 AM   #3
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I feed her lots and lots of cake.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 11:46 AM   #4
SPCTRE
basement dweller with a thumbtack's IQ

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

what do you mean, 'inner'?
Philitas of Cos, Greek intellectual, is said by Athenaeus to have studied arguments and erroneous word usage so intensely that he wasted away and starved to death. British classicist A. Cameron speculates that P. died from a wasting disease which his contemporaries joked was caused by his pedantry.
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Ar-Pharazon
Vice Admiral

I have various classic toys sharing space with my DVD collection. Stuff I had in the 70's and now have again (Soma puzzles, Merlin, Slinkys, Super Robot, etc).

I'm not sure if my sizable Three Stooges collection (figurines, posters, etc) counts.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post

I have recently bought myself an adult colouring book ( no, it isn't x- rated).

I have also started collecting fashion dolls - after a break of about 45 years.

I also collect copies of children's books illustrated my favourite illustrator (Libico Maraja) and also different editions of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz (published in the 1970s or earlier).
Adult coloring books made a comeback years ago, and I have quite a few, along with DoodleArt kits I never finished - or even started, in some cases - from many years ago.

I have a lot of Barbies, but that's because most of them belonged to my grandmother. She caught the collecting fever when she got interested after people gave me dolls for birthdays and Christmas. It started with sewing clothes, and branched out from there. I've been trying to downsize because unlike her, I've got my favorites but no real desire to collect them anymore. The last Barbies I bought were Star Trek Barbie & Ken, and they're not coming out of their packaging.

I have gotten into historical paper dolls, though. I would guess that the popularity of the TV series Downton Abbey is partly responsible for these making a comeback.

I still have the first books I ever owned, and the first one I ever learned to read: Buddy Bear's Lost Growl.

Other things... some people may look around my home and conclude that my mental age is about 10, since they'd see many stuffed animals. However, I got into penguins in high school (after doing a research project for one of my biology classes), and the green and purple bears are characters in the Fuzzy Knights webcomic - I was able to track down the same kind of animals the FK creator uses. No luck on the other two main characters (a very specific edition of Benjamin Bunny and a tuxedo cat that I can't begin to track down as I've no idea which company made it).

But I don't think it's childish to keep up an interest in things we loved as children, unless those things are detrimental to our or someone else's well-being. I've still got (and still re-read) my Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators books, and belong to a Yahoo! group with other people who still enjoy them.

J. Allen wrote:
I watch a TV show about pastel colored ponies who value the magic of friendship.
I also write short stories about those ponies.
I watch cartoons.
I color in my coloring books.
I sometimes take my little plastic ships and pretend to engage in combat with them.
I wear shoes that have multicolored laces so I can walk on sunshine every day.
I daydream.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of this. Go for it, and don't let anyone tell you to "grow up". You have an imagination, and that's something far too many people lose as they get older.

Back in the '80s I once waited at a bus stop in town, after having purchased a gaming book called Dicing With Dragons (by one of the people who created the Fighting Fantasy gamebook series). I opened the book and started to read it, and a girl who was maybe about 11 or 12 years old took one look at it and informed me in a critical tone of voice, "There's no such thing as dragons."

I told her that yes, there was - in peoples' imaginations. She didn't get it, and I was left wondering how a kid her age could already have lost the concept of imagination and fantasy. There's nothing wrong with it as long as we know that it is fantasy.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 01:20 PM   #7
RoJoHen
Awesome

My inner child only comes out when I'm around certain people, which is not often enough.

I'm currently nurturing my outer curmedgeony old man.
Old August 3 2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Taylirious
Rear Admiral

View Taylirious's Twitter Profile

Listening to Pantera, drinking Jägermeister & punching stuff. I was a strange kid.
Old August 3 2015, 02:02 PM   #9
RoJoHen
Awesome

The part of my past that involved Jager is something I would like to keep buried forever.
Old August 3 2015, 03:51 PM   #10
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Star Trek.
Old August 3 2015, 03:56 PM   #11
Jedi_Master
Vice Admiral

Sadly what I do to feed my inner child seems to radically alter my outer waistband.
Old August 3 2015, 04:45 PM   #12
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

1. Coloring books with geometric designs
2. Dolls -- just two, not a collection. A Lee Middleton baby doll that I bought about 20 years ago. And American Girl Rebecca Rubin, a Jewish girl from a Russian emigrant family in NYC, circa 1915. I bought her last year after I discovered that my Russian grandmother, who immigrated to NYC, was Jewish.
3. Ice cream cones
4. Harry Potter
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2015, 05:27 PM   #13
rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I read childrens books and for my 50est birthdayand my sister's 40est, we went to a string puppet class with a very famous German puppet theatre (think of taking a class playing with the original muppets, then you get an idea of how cool that was =))
And I totally love The Wombles (have all their episodes on DVD). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uymh...xtKc18znAARU1B And of course I went to Wimbledon Common last time I was in London.
Old August 3 2015, 05:49 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Jedi_Master wrote: View Post
Sadly what I do to feed my inner child seems to radically alter my outer waistband.
+1
Old August 3 2015, 06:18 PM   #15
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

My inner child doesn't need any more nurturing; it's the outer-adult that needs work--a lot of work.

I'm always at home, so I play pc games, play with my cat, watch Supernatural reruns in the morning, have Funko Pop figures on my desk and I post on the Trek BBS.

My inner child runs the show; it's the outer adult that's in shambles.