Ortiz Art Mugs
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Ingham Passes
By: T'Bonz on Jan 28

Star Trek Online Celebrates Five Years
By: T'Bonz on Jan 27

WizKids/Star Trek Online Caption Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jan 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 22 2015, 09:23 AM   #1
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Adam Baldwin and Conventions

Recently, one of the convention organisers here - posted a list of people that they are planning on bringing to Sydney and Perth for conventions in June. One of those named was Adam Baldwin (the person who created the hashtag gamergate)

Anyways, when there was this announcement there was lots of backlash from it, and also positive feedback and negative feedback. Someone started a petition to get his invite revoked, while another person started another petition to organisers to ignore the petition to revoke the invite.

What I want to know - does anyone know if this has happened in other counties with conventions that have had Adam Baldwin as a guest. Or any other celebrities.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Re: Adam Baldwin and Conventions

ElimParra wrote: View Post
One of those named was Adam Baldwin (the person who created the hashtag gamergate)
Was he invited because he's the Adam Baldwin famous for being an actor, or because he's another Adam Baldwin, famous for creating the hashtag gamergate? Because I don't know who the latter is.

If I were the organizers, I'd ignore any petition campaign. People who don't like the guest list are free not to attend.

The OP makes it sound like gamergate is his claim to fame.
Old January 22 2015, 02:32 PM   #3
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Melakon wrote: View Post
ElimParra wrote: View Post
One of those named was Adam Baldwin (the person who created the hashtag gamergate)
Was he invited because he's the Adam Baldwin famous for being an actor, or because he's another Adam Baldwin, famous for creating the hashtag gamergate? Because I don't know who the latter is.

If I were the organizers, I'd ignore any petition campaign. People who don't like the guest list are free not to attend.

The OP makes it sound like gamergate is his claim to fame.
Yes they are free not to attend but those people not attendibg could easily turn the convention into a financial disaster.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 02:45 PM   #4
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Are they protesting Baldwin for creating the hashtag, his stance on the controversy, or his work as an actor? I don't know what his position is and don't really care, because I've been a fan of his work since 1980.
Old January 22 2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Are they protesting Baldwin for creating the hashtag, his stance on the controversy, or his work as an actor? I don't know what his position is and don't really care, because I've been a fan of his work since 1980.
It would be for his stance on the contrevesry and creation of the hashtag.

Why would they be protesting his acting?

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 03:45 PM   #6
Melakon
Vice Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Why would they be protesting his acting?
When it comes to fans, it's sometimes hard to predict what they'll find fault with. This entire board is in an example of that.
Old January 22 2015, 06:15 PM   #7
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

My Bodyguard was the bomb!

I don't care what his stance is on the so-called Gamergate controversy. I'd love to see him at a convention!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 06:56 PM   #8
Melakon
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
My Bodyguard was the bomb!
That's where I first saw him all right.
Old January 22 2015, 07:27 PM   #9
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I had a WTF moment when I read this thread, so I had to do me some researchin'.

Have I got this right? A woman develops a popular game. She was dating a gaming journalist. Her ex decides he doesn't like that, so he accuses her of using sex to be successful? Baldwin creates a hashtag to protest corruption and insincerity in gaming journalism, and a buttload of gaming losers who likely live in their parents' basements coopt the hashtag in order to threaten and harass anybody they think breathes funny in their games' general direction? On Twitter? And everybody's mad at Baldwin for not collapsing in shame because other people are using something he created in a way he never intended?

To answer the OP's question, I've never heard of it happening at a convention in the States, mainly because we litigate everything to death. To prevent it even becoming an issue Baldwin simply wouldn't have been invited in the first place.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2015, 09:03 PM   #10
JD5000
Captain

So was it Adam Baldwin the actor, or another Adam Baldwin? I don't even want that hashtag gamergate crap on my search history - but admittedly I would wander into a room at a Con in which it was being discussed.
Old January 22 2015, 10:07 PM   #11
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

JD5000 wrote: View Post
So was it Adam Baldwin the actor, or another Adam Baldwin? I don't even want that hashtag gamergate crap on my search history - but admittedly I would wander into a room at a Con in which it was being discussed.
Twas Adam Baldwin the actor.

-Admiral James Greer
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 02:02 AM   #12
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

I'm still not 100% sure I understand the Gamergate nonsense.

Anyway, I got to meet Adam Baldwin at a con a couple years ago. Nice enough guy in person, I suppose. But a lot of tweets and social media-stuff has sort of shown him to be a bit of an ass.
Old January 23 2015, 03:47 AM   #13
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
On the Nerdist podcast a few weeks ago, Wil Wheaton explained that Adam Baldwin was an ass to him. He said Baldwin tried to organize people against him. Sorry, I can't remember specifics, but if you're interested, you can look here.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2015, 03:52 AM   #14
Trekker4747
Out there, somewhere...

shivkala wrote: View Post
^
On the Nerdist podcast a few weeks ago, Wil Wheaton explained that Adam Baldwin was an ass to him. He said Baldwin tried to organize people against him. Sorry, I can't remember specifics, but if you're interested, you can look here.
I can see that, honestly. I liked Firefly, I liked him as Jayne, but I see more and more stories of him generally being sort-of an ass. My experience with him is limited to minute or so I met and chit-chatted with him while he signed my Jayne comicbook and observed him over the days of the convention. So, limited, to say the least.
Old January 23 2015, 03:58 AM   #15
J. Allen
Muy Caliente

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Yeah, he seems to come off as an ass in his tweets and other posts. He's certainly a conspiracy theorist, once tweeting that Obama probably wanted ebola in America for some reason. So definitely an ass.